Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

pivot phoenix 650b review

Any reviews on the new Phoenix? Is the yellow the only color being offer? I really like the all black that was on vital that Chris was talking about. This will replace my V10c I'm loving the DW geometry and this bike is so sexy.

Pivotal figure
    We're offering it in Yellow & Black. I haven't gotten much time on the bike other than a day on the alloy prototype last year and a couple of short rides her in town. It was a blast, very stable but still retained that nimble feel I like. Not very many people have gotten to ride these yet so reviews are gonna be limited to magazines and other media peeps that were at the press release. We'll be building up more for Interbike so there will be plenty of people on them there...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Thanks Ken I'm not in the bike industry so no Interbike for me, but I'm pump theres a black version in production. I'll start saving looks like marriage can wait.

mtbr member

Saw this on instagram, im drooling ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Wow I'm drooling too... Thanks!!

brake later, pedal sooner
    i heard these are shipping out soon...i think i'm going to take a dive and pick one up.

mtbr member

Must resist temptation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't resist the temptation......stopped by the LBS and threw 50% deposit on a large black frame.

Estimated ship date is end of November...looking forward to the shred! There is an amazing amount of NO information on how this new frame rides!

Can anyone with insider info chime in???

Large frame for an advanced 6'0 rider.... is it gonna be too big? At first I was set on it...now I'm doubting my decision...

Anyone have any input? Seems like I'm the only one buying this new frame, can't find anything on the net!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9 on a med Mach 6 top tube is 23.25 on the Phoenix I would be on a small 23.75 tt.

You are stuck between sizes I probably go large but like you said this frame is so new nobody knows what to expect. I sold my v10c frame so I'm ready to pull the trigger too.

mtbr member

I thought you are suppose to size down on dh bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My LBS called Pivot to ask about sizing. I've had a medium on order for a while now. Pivot said that the recommended height range is not correctly shown on the FAQ page on the website for a medium size. The page states a height range of 5'-11" to 6'-0" for a medium. This is only a 2" height range. I've always ridden a medium DH frame. I'm 5'-9". Pivot recommended that I stick with a medium. But now that I look closely at the geometry on this frame, the medium has an extremely long top tube and long reach measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by bjtreglia View Post
    My LBS called Pivot to ask about sizing. I've had a medium on order for a while now. Pivot said that the recommended height range is not correctly shown on the FAQ page on the website for a medium size. The page states a height range of 5'-11" to 6'-0" for a medium. This is only a 2" height range. I've always ridden a medium DH frame. I'm 5'-9". Pivot recommended that I stick with a medium. But now that I look closely at the geometry on this frame, the medium has an extremely long top tube and long reach measurement.
    I did the same thing you did...double checking... triple checking geometry.

I sent an e-mail to Pivot and Brien replied back and basically agreed I was in between sizes and it's really a preference.

After reviewing the geometry more closely and talking with some friends, I actually called my LBS and switched from a Large frame to a Medium.

The bikes are super long it seems, the top tube is 24.75" for a medium.. the reach is 16.85".

As a comparison on my large Undead the top tube was 23.6" and the reach was 15.9". I felt slightly cramped on this bike... so if I can get something that is just a little bit bigger, it should be spot on. The medium numbers on the Phoenix look closest to what I am seeking.

Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel better about the sizing.

mtbr member

Looks like it's on the demo fleet!! There's a dropper on it got me thinking how does it climb? Haha such a beauty

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I got some time on a medium carbon Phoenix yesterday (a bit small for me, but still workable). That thing was super quiet, composed and so smooth over rough chatter. I would compare it very closely with my Mach 6 as far as handling, nimbleness and that sort of thing, but it just mowed down roots and bumps comparatively. Coming off of the aluminum Phoenix, I immediately noticed how this bike wanted to stay higher in its travel where the aluminum Phoenix might tend to wallow. The bike also pedaled impressively well.

As far as sizing goes, this bike feels just a touch smaller than my large aluminum Phoenix. I'm a lanky 6' 3" and am confident that the large carbon Phoenix will fit really well. Can't wait for mine to show up!

Thanks for the input! That really makes me feel better about changing my sizing to a medium... whew!

Can't wait for my frame to get here! I have a killer build lined up, should be sitting in around 31-32lbs ...suspense is killing me!!!!!! I just got a new 3D axis gimble for my camera...i will have to make an awesome shredding edit bike check video once its built up.

mtbr member

Homeboy got his already. Time to do ot so i can get one next summer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daxdagr8t View Post

Homeboy got his already. Time to do ot so i can get one next summer!!!

whaaaaaat!! i am super jealous.

i hope mine ships out sooner than later....looks like he bought the full build kit too, those FR570's are not out yet either..

tell him to come here and post a ride review!

mtbr member

Ill try. He is taking the bike to big bear on friday and some shuttle runs on santa barbara on saturday. Im just jealous i cant go with him on both days. Yes he got the full saint build and got a massive discount too.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Kurt, I can't wait to see you on one of these in a vid soon!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Wow so sexy best looking DH bike ever. Can't wait for a review.

Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Kurt, I can't wait to see you on one of these in a vid soon!
    haha! me too!!

Pivot would be smart to send my frame first so I can hype it up with my videos and they can sell more *hint hint Pivot people!* ha ha ha ..jk.

mtbr member

My homies review..."it was worth it!"

Lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Daxdagr8t, can you tell us what size frame your buddy has and his height? ....and if he is happy with the fit?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bjtreglia View Post
    Daxdagr8t, can you tell us what size frame your buddy has and his height? ....and if he is happy with the fit?
    He is about 5'5-5'6 and he got small. He said it fit him really good. He has a mach 5.7 in small so he just bought the sane size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast