mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Which Pivot for Moab and Fruita?

I ride a mach 429 at home in NC and am loving it so far. It has the new talas fork on it so is adjustable from 95mm to 120mm. I ride it in 95mm mode most of the time, but in the mountains I really like the feel on the fork in 120mm once the trail heads downhill.

So it looks like I have 3 choices for Pivot rentals in Moab. Either a 429 with 100mm, a Mach 5, presumably the 5.4" travel model, or a Firebird. What do you all think would be the best bike for the terrain of Moab and Fruita? Certainly I'd probably be most used to the feel of the 429, but if the terrain is burly enough I was wondering I'd benefit from the increased confidence I'd get from more travel and slacker head angles on another bike?

I'm an intermediate rider, but not a lot of experience riding more technical terrain.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Both areas have such a selection of trails that any bike would be great. It just depends on what you want to ride. Moab trails are as technical as you make them. Meaning how far do you want to push yourself? Several trails in Moab have options --- mainly due to the trails being shared with ORV. Fruita has a somewhat different feel -- loosely translated as keep the singletrack single. Fruita offers up equal amounts of technical and flow on singetrack. Be sure to check out Grand Junction as well. The combined area of Moab, Fruita, GJ has a Tri fecta of riding possibilities not to be missed.

I think any Pivot you choose would be a good one. Easier to stay with one you are somewhat familiar with.
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

tardcore
    Firebird, there's plenty of opportunity to enjoy the travel.

mtbr member

Why choose ?

If you are renting ride the Mach 5 on the "peddle days" i.e. Porc., then trade it in for a longer/heavy bike for some shuttle action. Skip the 4" bike all together, JMO. Half the fun is riding something new that you've been wondering about / dream bike like. I take two bikes my 5+ travel and 7" and ride em both in So. UT. Even a lot of the longer "scenic" rides have enough play options along the way to use up longer travel. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the advice all. I like the idea of switching it up. Maybe ride the 429 which I'll be most used to the first day and get a feel for the area. Then switch it up based on where we plan to ride. Great idea.