mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Pivot mach 6 small vs medium owners/buyers

Hey guys, need some advice on the choosing the right sized mach 6. Its my first mtb purchase so I have no experience with mtb sizing.

I'm abt 5'8.5", based on the website recommendation I would be a Small.

I've tried the medium mach 6 with 60mm stem and felt it was fine but since the local dealer doesn't have a small to demo, i'm not sure if the small would be the better fit as recommended.

I'm aware a smaller frame would probably be more 'playful' compared to the stability of a larger frame, hence would like to be on the small, provided I don't have to slap on too long a stem.

Any advice would be appreciated as spending thousands of dollars only to get the wrong sizing would be disastrous.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spying View Post
    Hey guys, need some advice on the choosing the right sized mach 6. Its my first mtb purchase so I have no experience with mtb sizing.

I'm abt 5'8.5", based on the website recommendation I would be a Small.

I've tried the medium mach 6 with 60mm stem and felt it was fine but since the local dealer doesn't have a small to demo, i'm not sure if the small would be the better fit as recommended.

I'm aware a smaller frame would probably be more 'playful' compared to the stability of a larger frame, hence would like to be on the small, provided I don't have to slap on too long a stem.

Any advice would be appreciated as spending thousands of dollars only to get the wrong sizing would be disastrous.

Thanks.
    Ultimately, if you want to be sure, you need to take out both sizes and for a decent long ride in varied terrain, to be sure. But, clearly these frames are like rocking-horse sh1t right now, and the chances of shops keeping two sizes of test bikes are near zero.

So, having spent 20+ years MTB'ing now, my continued preference has been to have a frame with enough breathing space in the TT length when run with a ~60mm stem. I personally much prefer this bigger frame, shorter stem setup, as I hate nothing more than having to use a long stem to get breathing space and have to live with slow steering due to the long stem.... Plus, I've never noticed any difference in 'playfulness' between sizes, as this for me is much more down to the setup of suspension, and having a dropper post....

Bottom line, if you felt comfortable on a medium, go for it.

Hope this helps. Happy trails either way, great choice. I'm actually thinking about deserting Ibis for the first time for one of these Mach 6s, and I've owned 5 Mojos (Classic, SLs, HDs) and trying other bikes left me unimpressed, but the Mach 6 looks spot on.

mtbr member
    Total Height doesn't matter as much as how your legs and torso are proportioned. With a 60 mm stem it sounds like you are comfortable, so it sounds like it won't be an issue. Besides you can always put on wider bars and a shorter stem if feeling slightly stretched. I'm the same height and ride a medium 5.7c and thought the medium Mach 6 I demo'd was the perfect size and was VERY playful. Like humdinger said, better to go with a shorter stem than to get a small and be stretched out on a decent oriented rig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If your serious about buying the bike put a deposit down and ask them to bring in a small. Then take home what suits you.