Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pivot Mach 6 - Frame Weight?

Does anyone know the weight of the new Mach 6 frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I will know in a few weeks when my large frame comes in,even dealer did not know yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bump

mtbr member
    The XX1 built Mach 6 comes in at 27.05lb (12.23kg)
    The XTR build tips in at 28.22lbs (12.8kg)
    Actual Weights: 2014 Pivot Vault Cyclocross & Les 27.5? and Mach 6 Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macharza View Post
    The XX1 built Mach 6 comes in at 27.05lb (12.23kg)
    The XTR build tips in at 28.22lbs (12.8kg)
    Actual Weights: 2014 Pivot Vault Cyclocross & Les 27.5? and Mach 6 Mountain Bikes
    XX1 saves over a lb? wow

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Still nothing on "frame weight" alone!

mtbr member
    At the dealer meeting we were told the Medium will weigh under 6 lbs.
    Giant Reign Adv
    Hightower 29
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Giant TCX
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 24" - son's

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Strange they had the LES on the scale but didnt bother to put the M6 on there. wonder why whoever was filming didnt ask either. In this video:

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Pivot visits NZ with the 2014 Mach 6 Carbon | Bikeland.co.nz ? The Home of New Zealand Biking

Under 6lbs would be great hope that is true!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I called Pivot a two weeks ago, even they didn't know the weight. He said the frames out there now are pre-production frames and are slightly overbuilt. I'm guessing that means the demo frames also? I'm assuming then they'll trim the excess "fat" off before making production consumer frames.

For me, if it's not under 5.5lbs it won't be worth $3k. That's just me, others may feel differently. The new BMC 29er 5" travel frame is claimed weight of 5.5lbs IIRC so with proper designing, Pivot should be able to get it less than 5.5lbs I'd hope.

Drum roll....
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    For me, if it's not under 5.5lbs it won't be worth $3k. That's just me, others may feel differently. The new BMC 29er 5" travel frame is claimed weight of 5.5lbs IIRC so with proper designing, Pivot should be able to get it less than 5.5lbs I'd hope.
    I not going to hold my breath on under 5.5lbs. that float x weigh .8 lbs.
    But my lbs who rode them at dealer camp said he heard they were allegedly be mach 5.7c weight. so that makes it around 5.6lbs if that is true. would be good imo

Slovakia (Europe)
    Mach 5.7c large frame weight is 2726g (6.0lbs) incl. shock and rear axle. To state the frame weight without shock is simply cheating (by company), if that isn't explicitly noted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    To include the rear axle may not be comparing apples with apples :-)
    Surely both bikes would need to be in similar configuration.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Is the rear axle specific part of the frame delivered by the manufacturer with the frame or not? If it is, it should be included in the frame weight, IMHO. The same with the forks. Just have a look at e.g. Fox weight specification, all forks include axles in the weight specification. I see no difference between fork w/ axle and frame w/ axle weight specification. You are still comparing apples with apples .

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So it looks like there are no official numbers? Not a good sign...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only interesting thing about Mach 6 weights is that how close to each samples weight compared to other. This will tell something about the consistency of the mfgr.
    As for actual weight, as long as it is under 3kg with all parts it's light enough.

mtbr member
    My 5.7c with shock an axle came in at 2608 grams (5 3/4). Built up with with dropper and depending on which tires and pedals I run, it can weigh anywhere from 26 3/4 lbs to a hair over 28. I just finished a 20 miler with 5000 of vert with my current Enduro race build (Shimano DX pedals) and the bike was fine and I cruzed the climbs. Point is, a .25 to .50 difference on a frame means very little. If the Mach 6 comes in around 6 LBS with a float x, then great. How one actually builds it will matter more in the end for total weight and enjoyment. I'd much rather ride a Pivot which I KNOW is bomber and stiff as hell than a freaking BMC or Scott (talk about flex) and have it weigh a whole .5 lb more. Yes weight matters, but Enduro bikes aren't weight dependent; performance matters more. Oh, and let us not forget the rider. I have a buddy that rides a Banshee with a burly 35 lb build and he kicks my and everyone elses ass every race.

As for no official weights, Pivot it just getting their first batch of bikes and so I don't expect they'll say much of anything until they get consistency in yields.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Buddy of mine received his medium yesterday frame weight,6' 14 oz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Buddy of mine received his medium yesterday frame weight,6' 14 oz.
    Hmmm, that seems a bit high considering Pivot was saying it'll be about a .25 pound more than the 5.7c. Even with the Float X, there's still a .50 lb diff between your buddy's number and what is expected. Did he weigh it with BB and HS installed? Not calling you out or anything like that, I'm just need a bit more proof since the delta is so large. Maybe post a pict of the frame on the Park scale?

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    6 14 for a medium? Wow. I need a large, so that will easily be over 7 lbs. That's the same if not heavier than a Mojo HD, and they have set the standard for heavy frames due to being built so stout. My lrg Carbine is well under 6 lbs w/out headset and bb but with axle and seatpost clamp and dropouts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Was weighed at bike shop and I know the mechanic who put it together has the Float X not sure about HS and BB being installed at time will find out he did not mention it,I was wondering myself does seem a tad high.total weight was 28lbs without pedals XT PRO build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Weight,included BB and front derail.so approx half a pound off top,6lb 5oz and change if I did my math right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Weight,included BB and front derail.so approx half a pound off top,6lb 5oz and change if I did my math right.
    That sounds more like it ... Sure folks appreciate you following up to clarify.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We really need to see a couple of these on a scale to be more accurate, preferrable with the standard stock shock and axle included since that's how most companies measure frame weights. I do mean at least a couple of them too, not just one since they're are usually variances.

But if it IS 6lb 5oz, I'll say forget it. Too heavy to pay $3k. I've got a carbon frame (Mojo HD) over 6lbs, why would I want another one.

mtbr member
    I guess you wouldn't.

Others might like the lower BB, longer top tube, shorter chainstays, different wheel size, or aesthetics, and most folks don't already have a 6" carbon bike in the stable, so there's that.

Besides, how light does one want a bike that's meant to be raced over challenging courses? For my $3K, I'd trade some durability for a few ounces.
    God hates figs. Luke 13:6-9

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Juan _speeder,exactly,why would you want one! you have the HD so of course it would be redundant to consider the Mach 6! but for those who a want durable 6" it is ripe for the pickens and weight is an non issue for its intended usage.in or around 30lbs built is great as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    With some light bike carbon rims and 1x10 or XO1 Im sure you could get this in at around 27lbs, I would rather an extra pound of carbon stiffness. I'm not buying this for XC.

mtbr member
    ... And the Mach 6 is a hell of a lot more stiff than the HD. I like the guys at Ibis, but IMO Pivot makes better bikes (lay up, stiffness, quality, etc). Also note, that the weight above includes the Float X. With a Float, the frame weight would be under 6 pounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Agreed! weight is more a curiosity then a concern for most riders it it is meaningless,bikes in this class are play full ride any terrain while having a blast doing it! a friend of mine rides a Trek Slash and outrides all day bikes that are as much as 10lb lighter.fitness and attitude are much more important then bike weight overall!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Agree that a high stiffness is worth a few grams in frame weight. I personally ordered an L size.

Was also considering the new Lapierre Spicy. Based on Nico Vouilloz feedback from the EWS they made a conscious decision to add 200g to the frame for more stiffness around the BB.

At Eurobike the Pivot people mentioned a frame weight of 5.95 for an M-Size

Pivot uses custom HS. Might also be pre-installed on framesets?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hoping the headset comes with my frame order. I have not been able to confirm this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonease View Post
    Agree that a high stiffness is worth a few grams in frame weight. I personally ordered an L size.

Was also considering the new Lapierre Spicy. Based on Nico Vouilloz feedback from the EWS they made a conscious decision to add 200g to the frame for more stiffness around the BB.

At Eurobike the Pivot people mentioned a frame weight of 5.95 for an M-Size

Pivot uses custom HS. Might also be pre-installed on framesets?
    The custom HS is a custom off set HS for the Firebird. The HS pivot ships with the Mach 6 is just an relabeled OEM HS. Would be very unusual if the Mach 6 couldn't ship without.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Weight is concern for some, like myself. I'm even thinking of holding out for a 140mm version, just so I can get the build weight as light as possible w/ XT parts. The HD at 160 travel is more than I really need these days for my style of riding. My HD frame weighs about 6lbs 8oz. Burly for sure.

Bronson's about 5.5lbs.
    BMC Trailfox 29er is under 6lbs
    Carbine about 5.5lbs?

It would be great if the Mach 6 were under 6lbs.

Still, this frame looks sweet on paper but I'm still hoping to see a couple of these frames on scales...soonish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Weight is concern for some, like myself. I'm even thinking of holding out for a 140mm version, just so I can get the build weight as light as possible w/ XT parts. The HD at 160 travel is more than I really need these days for my style of riding. My HD frame weighs about 6lbs 8oz. Burly for sure.

Bronson's about 5.5lbs.
    BMC Trailfox 29er is under 6lbs
    Carbine about 5.5lbs?

It would be great if the Mach 6 were under 6lbs.

Still, this frame looks sweet on paper but I'm still hoping to see a couple of these frames on scales...soonish.
    You're looking at the wrong bike.

Why would it be great if the Mach 6 were sub 6 pounds? What if there was a compromise in stiffness or durability in order to achieve a mere number?

Which should weigh less - Pivot's 100mm XC 29er, or Pivot's 155mm 650b Enduro Racer? I ask, because the 429C is right at 6 pounds in a large.

mtbr member
    Bike could be built to 26 lbs with high end parts/more XC focus. That is where my buddies HD sits right now and my bike is 28 lbs. If you really want a dual personality from ANY 6" bike just have a set of light XC wheels and burly AM wheels. This .5 - 1 lb weight difference will do significantly more than reducing the travel or lightening the frame.
    Last edited by Salespunk; 09-19-2013 at 04:52 PM.

ridin dirty
    Jul 2008
    Breaking news! According to Cocalis, an XL mach 6 is 6.2 lbs. 2:18 minutes in..Interbike 2013: Pivot's Chris Cocalis Goes Through The New Mach 6 « Mountain Flyer Magazine.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I didn't hear him say an XL is 6.2. He said "it's a 6.2 lb frame," and they usually state medium size stats. I hope the medium doesn't weight 6.2, but I have a feeling that's what he was referencing. Even a 6.5lb large will be a viable option as capable as the Mach6 appears to be. Bike Rumor weighed a medium XTR 2x10 build at 28/28.5 I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    You're looking at the wrong bike.

Why would it be great if the Mach 6 were sub 6 pounds? What if there was a compromise in stiffness or durability in order to achieve a mere number?

Which should weigh less - Pivot's 100mm XC 29er, or Pivot's 155mm 650b Enduro Racer? I ask, because the 429C is right at 6 pounds in a large.
    I'm just saying that with many of these new 650b 150mm+ travel bikes, they're under 6lbs. So, I'd hope Pivot could do the same with the Mach 6. I'd think that would be an even added selling point if it were sub-6lbs. It's already got some great specs on paper. That would be icing on the cake so to speak.

That said, the speculation so far is about 6.2 but which shock is that with I wonder?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have never ridden a bike with more suspension at the back than at the front but with that HA I would not want to take it to 160mm on the front, looking forward to demo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    myitch,I agree that lighter would be welcomed but at what cost? my Carbine is flexy and noodley at speed on flow runs and scrubing can feel it much to the chagrin of my friends who ride behind me bust if that was inherent to the design!

mtbr member

Hope More travel in the back does seem wierd....

Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    I have never ridden a bike with more suspension at the back than at the front but with that HA I would not want to take it to 160mm on the front, looking forward to demo.
    It's kind of like a mullet I was thinking of running a 160 up front if I got this but the HA would then be 65.75....pretty slack

mtbr member
    I bet you can cut a travel spacer in half to run a Pike at 155.

I've done that on a Reba before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mullet bike oh yes definitely up for it now! not thought of that juan might be nice for symmetry. Will be quite an achievement if this climbs as well as they say give the HA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    I bet you can cut a travel spacer in half to run a Pike at 155.

I've done that on a Reba before.
    My understanding is that the pike cannot be travel limited by spacer. I'd love to hear differently.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    At $3k plus for a frame, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect light AND stiff.

Saw an XX1 build (non Enve) at Rage Cycles a couple days ago. Beautiful frame for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    My understanding is that the pike cannot be travel limited by spacer. I'd love to hear differently.
    Nope, cant be altered. With the new Charger cartridge, they're at set lengths.

BTW, weight on the Mach 6. Another person who is at Interbike that i was in contact with said 6.5lbs with shock but wasn't sure what size that was referring to. I'm guessing the med. since that's always been the reference size.

ridin dirty
    Jul 2008
    So we have the man who's designed, built, tested and ridden this bike saying on video that it's a 6.2 lb frame. And if a medium has always been the reference size, wouldn't you conclude that it is a 6.2 lb frame?!?

mtbr member
    Is it claimed 6.2 lbs with rear shock and axle and seat collar or just shock? I have owned a lot of frames (turners, banshees, pivots, ibis etc) and every one of them was heavier than claimed according to my park scale. Myitch you seem like a bit of a weenie given I've seen you harp on about the HD weight. Wouldn't you rather a slightly overbuilt durable frame ? Or do you just like the geometry but not intend to put the bike near its intended limit ? And can you can you list the competitors frame weights including size and whether the axle and seat collars are included and whether they're actual or claimed weights? I'd like to see apples to apples comparisons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    At $3k plus for a frame, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect light AND stiff.

Saw an XX1 build (non Enve) at Rage Cycles a couple days ago. Beautiful frame for sure.
    Then one would sacrifice durability by using larger diameter, thinner walled tubes to achieve that. It's made from carbon fiber, not magic

mtbr member
    find it interesting that a 6.2 lb, 155 mm stiff ass Enduro rig with a Float X is not considered light. Lighter than a 140 mm trail rig? Of course not, but it's not a trail rig. It's closer to DH (Esp. with a 160 mm up front) that happens to pedal fantastically and can be ridden as a trail rig. Depending on how much carbon one wants to build with, the bike can easily be built up in the 27 LB range with pedals and dropper, and reasonably light tires. Which is an outstanding weight for this type of bike and is in-line or better than the comp. Remember, Pivot builds with carbon for the robustness and stiffness first, weight comes second, which is why my 5.7c has survived the wicked crashes it's been through. :^)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast