Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pivot Mach 6 - Frame Weight?

Does anyone know the weight of the new Mach 6 frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I will know in a few weeks when my large frame comes in,even dealer did not know yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bump

mtbr member
    The XX1 built Mach 6 comes in at 27.05lb (12.23kg)
    The XTR build tips in at 28.22lbs (12.8kg)
    Actual Weights: 2014 Pivot Vault Cyclocross & Les 27.5? and Mach 6 Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Macharza View Post
    The XX1 built Mach 6 comes in at 27.05lb (12.23kg)
    The XTR build tips in at 28.22lbs (12.8kg)
    Actual Weights: 2014 Pivot Vault Cyclocross & Les 27.5? and Mach 6 Mountain Bikes
    XX1 saves over a lb? wow

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Still nothing on "frame weight" alone!

mtbr member
    At the dealer meeting we were told the Medium will weigh under 6 lbs.
    Giant Reign Adv
    Hightower 29
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Giant TCX
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 24" - son's

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Strange they had the LES on the scale but didnt bother to put the M6 on there. wonder why whoever was filming didnt ask either. In this video:

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Pivot visits NZ with the 2014 Mach 6 Carbon | Bikeland.co.nz ? The Home of New Zealand Biking

Under 6lbs would be great hope that is true!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I called Pivot a two weeks ago, even they didn't know the weight. He said the frames out there now are pre-production frames and are slightly overbuilt. I'm guessing that means the demo frames also? I'm assuming then they'll trim the excess "fat" off before making production consumer frames.

For me, if it's not under 5.5lbs it won't be worth $3k. That's just me, others may feel differently. The new BMC 29er 5" travel frame is claimed weight of 5.5lbs IIRC so with proper designing, Pivot should be able to get it less than 5.5lbs I'd hope.

Drum roll....
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    For me, if it's not under 5.5lbs it won't be worth $3k. That's just me, others may feel differently. The new BMC 29er 5" travel frame is claimed weight of 5.5lbs IIRC so with proper designing, Pivot should be able to get it less than 5.5lbs I'd hope.
    I not going to hold my breath on under 5.5lbs. that float x weigh .8 lbs.
    But my lbs who rode them at dealer camp said he heard they were allegedly be mach 5.7c weight. so that makes it around 5.6lbs if that is true. would be good imo

Slovakia (Europe)
    Mach 5.7c large frame weight is 2726g (6.0lbs) incl. shock and rear axle. To state the frame weight without shock is simply cheating (by company), if that isn't explicitly noted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    To include the rear axle may not be comparing apples with apples :-)
    Surely both bikes would need to be in similar configuration.

Slovakia (Europe)
    Is the rear axle specific part of the frame delivered by the manufacturer with the frame or not? If it is, it should be included in the frame weight, IMHO. The same with the forks. Just have a look at e.g. Fox weight specification, all forks include axles in the weight specification. I see no difference between fork w/ axle and frame w/ axle weight specification. You are still comparing apples with apples .

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So it looks like there are no official numbers? Not a good sign...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The only interesting thing about Mach 6 weights is that how close to each samples weight compared to other. This will tell something about the consistency of the mfgr.
    As for actual weight, as long as it is under 3kg with all parts it's light enough.

mtbr member
    My 5.7c with shock an axle came in at 2608 grams (5 3/4). Built up with with dropper and depending on which tires and pedals I run, it can weigh anywhere from 26 3/4 lbs to a hair over 28. I just finished a 20 miler with 5000 of vert with my current Enduro race build (Shimano DX pedals) and the bike was fine and I cruzed the climbs. Point is, a .25 to .50 difference on a frame means very little. If the Mach 6 comes in around 6 LBS with a float x, then great. How one actually builds it will matter more in the end for total weight and enjoyment. I'd much rather ride a Pivot which I KNOW is bomber and stiff as hell than a freaking BMC or Scott (talk about flex) and have it weigh a whole .5 lb more. Yes weight matters, but Enduro bikes aren't weight dependent; performance matters more. Oh, and let us not forget the rider. I have a buddy that rides a Banshee with a burly 35 lb build and he kicks my and everyone elses ass every race.

As for no official weights, Pivot it just getting their first batch of bikes and so I don't expect they'll say much of anything until they get consistency in yields.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Buddy of mine received his medium yesterday frame weight,6' 14 oz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Buddy of mine received his medium yesterday frame weight,6' 14 oz.
    Hmmm, that seems a bit high considering Pivot was saying it'll be about a .25 pound more than the 5.7c. Even with the Float X, there's still a .50 lb diff between your buddy's number and what is expected. Did he weigh it with BB and HS installed? Not calling you out or anything like that, I'm just need a bit more proof since the delta is so large. Maybe post a pict of the frame on the Park scale?

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    6 14 for a medium? Wow. I need a large, so that will easily be over 7 lbs. That's the same if not heavier than a Mojo HD, and they have set the standard for heavy frames due to being built so stout. My lrg Carbine is well under 6 lbs w/out headset and bb but with axle and seatpost clamp and dropouts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Was weighed at bike shop and I know the mechanic who put it together has the Float X not sure about HS and BB being installed at time will find out he did not mention it,I was wondering myself does seem a tad high.total weight was 28lbs without pedals XT PRO build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Weight,included BB and front derail.so approx half a pound off top,6lb 5oz and change if I did my math right.

mtbr member
    Weight,included BB and front derail.so approx half a pound off top,6lb 5oz and change if I did my math right.
    That sounds more like it ... Sure folks appreciate you following up to clarify.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We really need to see a couple of these on a scale to be more accurate, preferrable with the standard stock shock and axle included since that's how most companies measure frame weights. I do mean at least a couple of them too, not just one since they're are usually variances.

But if it IS 6lb 5oz, I'll say forget it. Too heavy to pay $3k. I've got a carbon frame (Mojo HD) over 6lbs, why would I want another one.

mtbr member
    I guess you wouldn't.

Others might like the lower BB, longer top tube, shorter chainstays, different wheel size, or aesthetics, and most folks don't already have a 6" carbon bike in the stable, so there's that.

Besides, how light does one want a bike that's meant to be raced over challenging courses? For my $3K, I'd trade some durability for a few ounces.
    Supply Side Jesusnomosist

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Juan _speeder,exactly,why would you want one! you have the HD so of course it would be redundant to consider the Mach 6! but for those who a want durable 6" it is ripe for the pickens and weight is an non issue for its intended usage.in or around 30lbs built is great as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    With some light bike carbon rims and 1x10 or XO1 Im sure you could get this in at around 27lbs, I would rather an extra pound of carbon stiffness. I'm not buying this for XC.

mtbr member
    ... And the Mach 6 is a hell of a lot more stiff than the HD. I like the guys at Ibis, but IMO Pivot makes better bikes (lay up, stiffness, quality, etc). Also note, that the weight above includes the Float X. With a Float, the frame weight would be under 6 pounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Agreed! weight is more a curiosity then a concern for most riders it it is meaningless,bikes in this class are play full ride any terrain while having a blast doing it! a friend of mine rides a Trek Slash and outrides all day bikes that are as much as 10lb lighter.fitness and attitude are much more important then bike weight overall!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Agree that a high stiffness is worth a few grams in frame weight. I personally ordered an L size.

Was also considering the new Lapierre Spicy. Based on Nico Vouilloz feedback from the EWS they made a conscious decision to add 200g to the frame for more stiffness around the BB.

At Eurobike the Pivot people mentioned a frame weight of 5.95 for an M-Size

Pivot uses custom HS. Might also be pre-installed on framesets?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hoping the headset comes with my frame order. I have not been able to confirm this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonease View Post
    Agree that a high stiffness is worth a few grams in frame weight. I personally ordered an L size.

Was also considering the new Lapierre Spicy. Based on Nico Vouilloz feedback from the EWS they made a conscious decision to add 200g to the frame for more stiffness around the BB.

At Eurobike the Pivot people mentioned a frame weight of 5.95 for an M-Size

Pivot uses custom HS. Might also be pre-installed on framesets?
    The custom HS is a custom off set HS for the Firebird. The HS pivot ships with the Mach 6 is just an relabeled OEM HS. Would be very unusual if the Mach 6 couldn't ship without.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Weight is concern for some, like myself. I'm even thinking of holding out for a 140mm version, just so I can get the build weight as light as possible w/ XT parts. The HD at 160 travel is more than I really need these days for my style of riding. My HD frame weighs about 6lbs 8oz. Burly for sure.

Bronson's about 5.5lbs.
    BMC Trailfox 29er is under 6lbs
    Carbine about 5.5lbs?

It would be great if the Mach 6 were under 6lbs.

Still, this frame looks sweet on paper but I'm still hoping to see a couple of these frames on scales...soonish.

mtbr member
    Weight is concern for some, like myself. I'm even thinking of holding out for a 140mm version, just so I can get the build weight as light as possible w/ XT parts. The HD at 160 travel is more than I really need these days for my style of riding. My HD frame weighs about 6lbs 8oz. Burly for sure.

Bronson's about 5.5lbs.
    BMC Trailfox 29er is under 6lbs
    Carbine about 5.5lbs?

It would be great if the Mach 6 were under 6lbs.

Still, this frame looks sweet on paper but I'm still hoping to see a couple of these frames on scales...soonish.
    You're looking at the wrong bike.

Why would it be great if the Mach 6 were sub 6 pounds? What if there was a compromise in stiffness or durability in order to achieve a mere number?

Which should weigh less - Pivot's 100mm XC 29er, or Pivot's 155mm 650b Enduro Racer? I ask, because the 429C is right at 6 pounds in a large.

mtbr member
    Bike could be built to 26 lbs with high end parts/more XC focus. That is where my buddies HD sits right now and my bike is 28 lbs. If you really want a dual personality from ANY 6" bike just have a set of light XC wheels and burly AM wheels. This .5 - 1 lb weight difference will do significantly more than reducing the travel or lightening the frame.
    Last edited by Salespunk; 09-19-2013 at 04:52 PM.

ridin dirty
    Jul 2008
    Breaking news! According to Cocalis, an XL mach 6 is 6.2 lbs. 2:18 minutes in..Interbike 2013: Pivot's Chris Cocalis Goes Through The New Mach 6 « Mountain Flyer Magazine.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I didn't hear him say an XL is 6.2. He said "it's a 6.2 lb frame," and they usually state medium size stats. I hope the medium doesn't weight 6.2, but I have a feeling that's what he was referencing. Even a 6.5lb large will be a viable option as capable as the Mach6 appears to be. Bike Rumor weighed a medium XTR 2x10 build at 28/28.5 I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    You're looking at the wrong bike.

Why would it be great if the Mach 6 were sub 6 pounds? What if there was a compromise in stiffness or durability in order to achieve a mere number?

Which should weigh less - Pivot's 100mm XC 29er, or Pivot's 155mm 650b Enduro Racer? I ask, because the 429C is right at 6 pounds in a large.
    I'm just saying that with many of these new 650b 150mm+ travel bikes, they're under 6lbs. So, I'd hope Pivot could do the same with the Mach 6. I'd think that would be an even added selling point if it were sub-6lbs. It's already got some great specs on paper. That would be icing on the cake so to speak.

That said, the speculation so far is about 6.2 but which shock is that with I wonder?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have never ridden a bike with more suspension at the back than at the front but with that HA I would not want to take it to 160mm on the front, looking forward to demo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    myitch,I agree that lighter would be welcomed but at what cost? my Carbine is flexy and noodley at speed on flow runs and scrubing can feel it much to the chagrin of my friends who ride behind me bust if that was inherent to the design!

mtbr member

Hope More travel in the back does seem wierd....

Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    I have never ridden a bike with more suspension at the back than at the front but with that HA I would not want to take it to 160mm on the front, looking forward to demo.
    It's kind of like a mullet I was thinking of running a 160 up front if I got this but the HA would then be 65.75....pretty slack

mtbr member
    I bet you can cut a travel spacer in half to run a Pike at 155.

I've done that on a Reba before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mullet bike oh yes definitely up for it now! not thought of that juan might be nice for symmetry. Will be quite an achievement if this climbs as well as they say give the HA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I bet you can cut a travel spacer in half to run a Pike at 155.

I've done that on a Reba before.
    My understanding is that the pike cannot be travel limited by spacer. I'd love to hear differently.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    At $3k plus for a frame, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect light AND stiff.

Saw an XX1 build (non Enve) at Rage Cycles a couple days ago. Beautiful frame for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    My understanding is that the pike cannot be travel limited by spacer. I'd love to hear differently.
    Nope, cant be altered. With the new Charger cartridge, they're at set lengths.

BTW, weight on the Mach 6. Another person who is at Interbike that i was in contact with said 6.5lbs with shock but wasn't sure what size that was referring to. I'm guessing the med. since that's always been the reference size.

ridin dirty
    Jul 2008
    So we have the man who's designed, built, tested and ridden this bike saying on video that it's a 6.2 lb frame. And if a medium has always been the reference size, wouldn't you conclude that it is a 6.2 lb frame?!?

mtbr member
    Is it claimed 6.2 lbs with rear shock and axle and seat collar or just shock? I have owned a lot of frames (turners, banshees, pivots, ibis etc) and every one of them was heavier than claimed according to my park scale. Myitch you seem like a bit of a weenie given I've seen you harp on about the HD weight. Wouldn't you rather a slightly overbuilt durable frame ? Or do you just like the geometry but not intend to put the bike near its intended limit ? And can you can you list the competitors frame weights including size and whether the axle and seat collars are included and whether they're actual or claimed weights? I'd like to see apples to apples comparisons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    At $3k plus for a frame, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect light AND stiff.

Saw an XX1 build (non Enve) at Rage Cycles a couple days ago. Beautiful frame for sure.
    Then one would sacrifice durability by using larger diameter, thinner walled tubes to achieve that. It's made from carbon fiber, not magic

mtbr member
    find it interesting that a 6.2 lb, 155 mm stiff ass Enduro rig with a Float X is not considered light. Lighter than a 140 mm trail rig? Of course not, but it's not a trail rig. It's closer to DH (Esp. with a 160 mm up front) that happens to pedal fantastically and can be ridden as a trail rig. Depending on how much carbon one wants to build with, the bike can easily be built up in the 27 LB range with pedals and dropper, and reasonably light tires. Which is an outstanding weight for this type of bike and is in-line or better than the comp. Remember, Pivot builds with carbon for the robustness and stiffness first, weight comes second, which is why my 5.7c has survived the wicked crashes it's been through. :^)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My Carbine comes in at 31lbs and change and think is an apropos weight for a bike in this class.I have no problem riding and keeping up with others with lighter bikes,similar riding ability and all day rides.I think weight is important to a degree but it is not the end all be all! I will ride lighter just knowing and feeling the superior stiffness alone!

mtbr member
    Then one would sacrifice durability by using larger diameter, thinner walled tubes to achieve that. It's made from carbon fiber, not magic
    So are you assuming that Pivot has perfectly optimized the Mach 6 carbon layup? That there is zero opportunities to cut weight while maintaining stiffness and appropriate strength? I'm a previous Pivot owner, and the M6 is on my short list of bikes, but the SC Bronson is about a pound lighter with virtually the same geo (1/3 of a pound due to the shock). After a full season of people owning the bike I'm not reading reports of it being a noodle or breaking. So is the Bronson under built, is the M6 over built, or are you just drinking the Kool-aid?

mtbr member
    To paraphrase Keith Bontrager - light, stiff, and strong; pick two.

mtbr member
    To paraphrase Keith Bontrager - light, stiff, and strong; pick two.
    Well you almost had it right. All this reverse engineering led Keith to his famous aphorism: "Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick Two." The $3000 Mach 6 frame definitely isn't cheap.

Bontrager: A Brief History of Bontrager

mtbr member
    That's not what I've been told. I was told the 150 and 160 are the same fork. They even have sag gradients for both travel options printed on the stanchions of my Pike. That could just be for simpler manufacturing and the shop guy could have lied or not known what he was talking about though. I bought a 150 version and that's what I'm running so I honestly don't know. Where did you hear this?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The 150 and 160 Solo Air forks have different Air Shafts. You need the new Air Shaft to convert a fork. Rest of the parts are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    That's not what I've been told. I was told the 150 and 160 are the same fork. They even have sag gradients for both travel options printed on the stanchions of my Pike. That could just be for simpler manufacturing and the shop guy could have lied or not known what he was talking about though. I bought a 150 version and that's what I'm running so I honestly don't know. Where did you hear this?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    Well you almost had it right. All this reverse engineering led Keith to his famous aphorism: "Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick Two." The $3000 Mach 6 frame definitely isn't cheap.

Bontrager: A Brief History of Bontrager
    Paraphrase is a word with a definition.

Look it up.

mtbr member

Look it up.
    Too funny....apparently you didn't. A paraphrase /ˈpærəfreɪz/ is a restatement of the meaning of a text or passage using other words.

Here's a hint for you....you can change the words not the meaning.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Look it up.
    Hilarious. Misquoting is also a word with a definition. One quite different from paraphrase.

mtbr member
    Too funny....apparently you didn't. A paraphrase /ˈpærəfreɪz/ is a restatement of the meaning of a text or passage using other words.

Here's a hint for you....you can change the words not the meaning.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
    OK.

Armchair engineering aside, why don't you contact Keith to see if he agrees with me.

https://twitter.com/Keith_Bontrager

One can make a tube stiffer by either increasing the wall thickness or the diameter of the tube. If one keeps the same diameter, but increases the wall thickness, then it will be heavier. If one increases the tube diameter, but retains the same weight, then it will be more fragile.

It's not rocket surgery.

BTW - a ~5 pound carbon 6" frame is something I have zero interest in, as I like my bikes to last. YMMV

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    The 150 and 160 Solo Air forks have different Air Shafts. You need the new Air Shaft to convert a fork. Rest of the parts are the same.
    That's what I heard and I understand it means that you can't reduce the travel below 150. Too bad. I would love to get a pike in a 130 or 140 travel mode. It's so light that it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Actually there is a way. If you use the 150mm 26" Air Shaft you get a 140mm 27.5" fork. One of the early SC Solo owners, WilliamK has his built with that modified fork and a BOS Kirk rear shock.

That's what I heard and I understand it means that you can't reduce the travel below 150. Too bad. I would love to get a pike in a 130 or 140 travel mode. It's so light that it's worth it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Last edited by JMW503; 09-28-2013 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fateddy View Post
    Breaking news! According to Cocalis, an XL mach 6 is 6.2 lbs. 2:18 minutes in..Interbike 2013: Pivot's Chris Cocalis Goes Through The New Mach 6 « Mountain Flyer Magazine.

The frame weights from Pivot, SC and some of the other companies aren't adding up for me. If you can build a Mach 6 in the 25-26lbs range [claimed in that video] and the frame weighs more than the Bronson I don't get how you can't build up a sub-26lbs Bronson at $10K with XX1 and ENVE wheels.

Based on the actual bike weights I've seen from owners the SC bike builder seems to be "honest".

Not to pick on Pivot. I've heard other companies throw out crazy light complete bike weights that I couldn't replicate in a bike builder without going to some goofy inappropriately light duty parts for the type of bike in question [ie. XC race rims on a 6" travel FS bike].
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    When the reps say 25-26 LBS for the low weight baseline, they mean just that, the lowest weight possible, which means lots of carbon, XX1, no dropper post, and lighter tires. So in Chris' case in the video, he was being honest, but didn't elaborate in a sound bit format. If one calls Pivot, I'm sure they would provide more details into what it would take to get in the 25-26 lb range. Personally, I ignore their baseline claims and just use frame weight as my baseline then look at build options.

That said, one thing I have noticed is is manufactures kinda stretch the definition of weights in interviews. E.g. 25.50LBS = 25 LBS because it's in the 25 lb range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    When the reps say 25-26 LBS for the low weight baseline, they mean just that, the lowest weight possible, which means lots of carbon, XX1, no dropper post, and lighter tires. So in Chris' case in the video, he was being honest, but didn't elaborate in a sound bit format.
    Chris specifically mentions 25lbs range with a dropper post in that video and doesn't correct the interviewer [in fact he nods yes] when the interviewer summarizes that it's 25-26lbs for theX-large XT/XTR build right next to them and goes onto say you can drop more weight with a blingy-er build.

I guess that would be a 23-24lbs Mach 6...

But I hear what you are saying about the "flexibility" in stated weights. I would just take the "honest" part out of it and say that companies are frequently BSing customers with unrealistic weights.

Makes for great soundbites in a video and might help get a few sales of folks who don't look deeper, but it's sort of lame to the people that pay attention.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Medium XT/XTR build with Fsa carbon post and Pivot carbon bars no pedals,28lbs.

mtbr member
    If that is the stock build on a shop floor that includes tubes I believe. Going tubeless would be offset by a dropper post though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ordered the L Frame and I am preparing the following build that should result in a sub 25lbs bike:

Frame Frame w/o Damper Pivot Mach 6 2400 g
    Damper Float X 365 g
    Grips Lizard Skins DSP 30 g
    Bar Race Face Sixc 35mm 200 g
    Shifter Sram X01 91 g
    Brakes XTR 2014 380 g
    Stem Syncros AM 1.5, 50mm 135 g
    Spacer SRAM Spacer Carbon UD SET 16 g
    Shifter Cable POWER CORDZ 35 g
    Fork Pike 160mm 1870 g
    Additional Oil in Fork 40 g
    Derailleur Sram X01 252 g
    Chain Sram X01 252 g
    Casette Sram X01 (black) 275 g
    Crank (incl. BB and 28t) Race Face Next SL 520 g
    Bashguard & Chainguide Carbocage XX1 90 g
    Wheels Duke Crazy Jack 650b, DT Swiss 240 Center Lock, 32 spokes" 1460 g
    Tape 65 g
    Brake Rotors "Shimano SM-RT99 180mm & 160mm" 240 g
    Tires "Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25 Trailstar-Compound" 1360 g
    Seatpost RS Reverb Stealth 560 g
    Saddle Tune Komm-Vor 95 g
    Headset Cane Creek ZS 110 100 g
    Milk in Tires 120 g
    Crank Boots Race Face 17 g
    Adapter to match Shimano Brake with Sram Shifter Trickstuff Matshi 7 g

TOTAL 10983 g

---> 24.22lbs

--> I guess it will be around 25lbs in reality... will post the result when the bike is ready and built up.

mtbr member
    No way, no how, will you get a Mach 6, Pike, and dropper post build under 25 pounds.

Do you intend to run pedals?

I also doubt that the bare frame will weigh 5.35 pounds, and you need to add thru axles on both ends.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Pedals: I didn't mention them to make the build comparable with standard brand builds.
    Frame 5.35: You right it is probably 5.4. My dealer told me 6.2 incl. the damper. I am not sure whether the frame weight is incl. axle or not.
    Fork: According to my info the PIKE should be around 1860g WITH axle but only little oil.

Always there are differences between theoretical and real weights. Therefore my guess that the bike weight might anyways arrive at 25lbs (w/o pedals).

Only facts count. I will let you know when the bike is ready.

mtbr member
    The weight without pedals thing has always made zero sense to me.

They're pretty important, as far as actual riding goes.

Even CC hasn't stated a real world frame weight, so don't be surprised by 6 pounds for a large, without thru axle, or shock.

That's what I'm hoping for, actually. For this type of bike. Stiffness and durability should take precedence over weight.

You seem keen on a number, and that number is 25#.

Good luck.

Slovakia (Europe)
    My large Mach 5.7c w/o shock and axle is 2 351g, so I doubt that Mach 6 frame will be the same weight (more likely about 2700g like Ibis HDR). 1460 g wheels are also crazy for 160/150mm bike, 120g tube sealant (e.g. NoTubes 2 cups) is for one 2.25" tire, not for two (if it should work well according to my experience, see NoTubes recommendations), I guess the brake weight is w/o front adaptor and bolts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The med was tubeless

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Frame weight for a large Mach 6 in stealth black without rear axle is about 2880gr..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    My large Mach 5.7c w/o shock and axle is 2 351g, so I doubt that Mach 6 frame will be the same weight (more likely about 2700g like Ibis HDR). 1460 g wheels are also crazy for 160/150mm bike, 120g tube sealant (e.g. NoTubes 2 cups) is for one 2.25" tire, not for two (if it should work well according to my experience, see NoTubes recommendations), I guess the brake weight is w/o front adaptor and bolts...

Look at the rims. they will hold up --> 3.6mm wall, no clincher hook. I have no worries here.

Thanks for the input about the sealant...

I plan to ride w/o adapters 180mm front and 160mm in the back... weight should include 2 bolts per brake (--> full set)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My LBS had a Med M6 on the scale with axle but no BB or headset : 2880g

Slovakia (Europe)
    2880g with or without the shock? That confuse me, because somebody (some manufacturers as well) states this with the shock and somebody without.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    With the Float-X shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn't anyone, anyone at all have a pic of the frame on a scale?

If 2880g is correct, that makes it one of the heaviest carbon frames around. Right up there with the Mojo HD.

ridin dirty
    Jul 2008
    Instagram

2879g

mtbr member
    If 2880g is correct, that makes it one of the heaviest carbon frames around. Right up there with the Mojo HD.
    2880g (6.35lbs) with a Float-X is equivalent to 2723g (6.00lbs) with a regular Float CTD shock. Not too bad, that's lighter than the Ibis HDR and the same as the Yeti SB66C. Obviously it's .7lbs heavier than the Bronson C.

mtbr member
    I don't think the Bronson is built for the same level of punishment. After seeing a buddies SJ Evo carbon crack at the headtube this weekend I will take 6.3 lbs without a complaint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2880g (6.35lbs) with a Float-X is equivalent to 2723g (6.00lbs) with a regular Float CTD shock. Not too bad, that's lighter than the Ibis HDR and the same as the Yeti SB66C. Obviously it's .7lbs heavier than the Bronson C.
    The X is 0.35lbs heavier?! That little piggy adds some weight then. 6lbs is more respectable. A bit lighter than my HD then, maybe more since that 6lbs was a med. I'll be getting a small.

And thanks for that pic fateddy. That's what I wanted to see.

mtbr member
    The X is 0.35lbs heavier?! That little piggy adds some weight then. 6lbs is more respectable. A bit lighter than my HD then, maybe more since that 6lbs was a med. I'll be getting a small.

And thanks for that pic fateddy. That's what I wanted to see.
    The note on the Instagram pic says that it is a large frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    fateddy,when did you receive your large frame?

ridin dirty
    Jul 2008
    It's not mine. I'm fairly certain it's a euro pic. I've heard late Octeber for stateside.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the large is 2880g/6.35lbs, then a small might be under 6lbs. Hopeful.

Now I just to sell a bunch of stuff (both bikes, car, house, 1st born) to afford one and wait about 6 months-1 yr for a used frame to show up somewhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I rode my friends medium and all I say it rides light and poppy,absolutely climbs and tracks well with the 90mm stem,not twitchy or sketchy on tech climbs either.I do have a large coming and would use a 70mm or 80mm stem but do not expect to experience any difficulties.

mtbr member
    My shop just called to announce that large frame is in the house! I had him weigh it while on phone,with Hs cups only installed by Pivot no axle and with Float X...6lbs 8oz!!!
    One more data point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My large build:

Fox Float 34
    Float x
    Wheelset: rear Dt Swiss 350 with 36 ratchet kit,front Chub Hub,Stans Flow EX,Hope Sawtooth rotors,180-160mm
    High Roller II 2.4 front,Minion 2.35 rear tires
    XT brakes,shifters,derailleurs,cranks
    KS,Lev Integra dropper
    38-28 dual with MRP bashguard
    RF Six carbon bars
    ODI grips
    Antherton 70mm stem
    Koobi saddle
    32lbs 8oz

All in all very happy with weight for my needs and purposes!
    Last edited by techfersure; 10-12-2013 at 06:47 AM.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    32.5lbs??? Holy crap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Does not ride like it,my Carbine was at 31lbs 4oz.so for me minimal difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any pictures yet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Don't know how to download,tried before and got frustrated,mtbr has been difficult,have no problems on other MTB sites though like Pinkbike,Ridemonkey,etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How in the world are these things being built at 27 pounds? I can see a pound, maybe 2 pounds max being taken out of 32.5 pounds.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    My large build:

Fox Float 34
    Float x
    Wheelset: rear Dt Swiss 350 with 36 ratchet kit,front Chub Hub,Stans Flow EX,Hope Sawtooth rotors,180-160mm
    High Roller II 2.4 front,Minion 2.35 rear tires
    XT brakes,shifters,derailleurs,cranks
    KS,Lev Integra dropper
    38-28 dual with MRP bashguard
    RF Six carbon bars
    ODI grips
    Antherton 70mm stem
    Koobi saddle
    32lbs 8oz

All in all very happy with weight for my needs and purposes!
    I'm still amazed at the weight of your build. But more intriguing is the fact that you built it up as a 26" bike. Those tire sizes only come in 26". Are they also wire bead versions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    At what cost and why! the whole purpose of a bike like this is that it should be durable and be reasonably light I personally don't think 32 and change is fat,but who would not appreciate lighter! I can save some on wheels if I go carbon but the weight to cost ratio is not cost effective and or lighter tires but that then again defeats durability and weather or not you don't mind changing flats often,or go 1X10 but for my purposes Enduros and Super D's that is not negotiable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm wondering how they got 27lbs too??!! I mean, 32 is not "heavy" for AM rig but where'd that 5lbs come from?

Shucks. My HD is 32lbs. I'd spend $3k and be the same weight. Sure it's a diff geo and specs but still.

mtbr member
    My HD is 30 lbs on the nose with XX1 and Deville fork and I9 hubs laced to i23s. No dropper post. I'd expect a Mach 6 if I swapped what I could to be the same weight as the lighter frame would be canceled out by heavier rims and tires. I think 30lbs is very reasonable for a highly capable bike. I also have a Mach 5.7c. Can't wait to demo a Mach 6.
    Last edited by wilks; 10-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast