Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question

I recently built up my new Mach 6 from a frame only order. This is the first bike I've built myself (well, had help from a friend too). The cabling setup I have by the rear shock is a little rough around the edges. The cables seem to rest on/rub the shock and move around a fair amount as the rear end compresses. I don't have a front derailleur so these are the rear derailleur and rear brake cables.

I noticed several others posting their Mach 6 builds, which seem to have a cleaner cabling setup and was hoping for some Mach 6 cabling advice/setup info. Does my setup look correct? I'm thinking my cables may just be too long, but not sure if there's a smarter way to route/tie them. I was considering either shortening the amount of cable that's between the rear shock and the seat stay cable guide or twist tying the two cables together attaching them somehow to the underside of the top tub to prevent them from moving around as much.

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-photo_comp.jpg

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-photo_1_comp.jpg

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-photo-2.jpg  

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-photo_comp.jpg  

mtbr member
    It looks like you're missing the cable standoffs. That aspect is described in the "Mach 6 Cable Setup" printout that came with my frame.

I additionally put some 3M tape around the upper portion of the seatstay arm to avoid any cable rub there.

Guide:

Cable Standoffs: One on each side

3M Tape: Also great for underside of chainstays, etc. Very easy to work with, stays put, and easy to remove.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Damn, you're spot on. I just checked and the cable standoffs and instructions were provided with the frame. I guess I'm just dumb and missed them in my haste. I'll get these setup soon and see if it improves the routing/possible rub. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Totally understandable given the excitement of a new frame! Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine doesn't have the standoff, I thought it didn't seem quite right.... How long is that piece of tubing, looks like about 1/2" or so. Thanks for the picture of the guide.

mtbr member
    No problem. You're correct; the tubing on mine is 1/2".

Pivotal figure
    FYI, you can use a small piece of drip irrigation tubing or similar if you don't have those standoffs. Another method is to use 2 Ty-Wraps with one in place of the tubing (smaller Ty-Wrap to hold the cable/hose, larger one as a standoff).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Mach 6 Setup.pdf

Here are the set up instructions for your reference.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    thanks for posting this pdf. I have the same problem and this will fix it. LOVE this bike but this is the one thing that has been bugging me as the cable, when shock is compressed, keeps hitting my leg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Very helpful. Just building up my Mach 6 with XX1 components and XT brakes. Dumb question and I haven't gotten to this part yet, but I would assume you have to take the rear brake hose off from the caliper side in order to install internally? I need to cut the hoses too, but that is usually done from the cylinder side.

Can you run the hoses and cables without removing the shock, or is that a necessity? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Also, Scotch 2228 tape, or Helicopter clear tape to prevent cable rub? Any concerns for either on a carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Check the setup gude that Dan posted; remove the rear shock to install the rear brake.

Either of those protective tapes will work in different areas of the frame and are removed and replaced easily. The Scotch 2228 tape is super easy to work with, stetching and conforming to wierd shapes like the underside of chainstays, etc. I use the Helicopter tape (or similar) underneath the cables in the flatter areas of the frame where the tape is more likely to stay down and not pull up at the corners.

Pivotal figure
    There's no internal routing for the rear brake, just the der cables. Those tapes will work fine on the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok great, thanks for the help. Cabling project this weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Very helpful. Just building up my Mach 6 with XX1 components and XT brakes. Dumb question and I haven't gotten to this part yet, but I would assume you have to take the rear brake hose off from the caliper side in order to install internally? I need to cut the hoses too, but that is usually done from the cylinder side.

Can you run the hoses and cables without removing the shock, or is that a necessity? Thanks.
    Definitely not required. Just drop the front mount of the rear shock and place the hose inside.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Did anybody try to install a KS LEV Integra Dropperpost with the Mach 6?
    Did the internal cable routing work or did any problem come up?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
    Did anybody try to install a KS LEV Integra Dropperpost with the Mach 6?
    Did the internal cable routing work or did any problem come up?

Thanks.
    Yeah, I installed one on my Mach 6. No problems. Installed pretty easily and has been working great for the 6 weeks or so I've had it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @anwleung, thanks for your feedback.

Type A
    Could someone take a picture of how the cables route under the top tube and above the rear shock. I haven't been able to locate any pictures that show where the front derailler cable exits the top tube under the shock. I have a Thomson dropper, so I won't be utilizing the stealth cabling option. I will be using a 1x setup and I'm trying to figure out the best way to route the dropper cable. I'm guessing that I will utilize the front derailler housing routing. I'm hoping that a picture will help me figure the best solution.

Pivotal figure
    It's pretty tough to get a good pic of that cable stop since it's tucked inside the shock tabs but it's a simple plastic plate with both F&R der cable stops molded into it. If your post uses a cable release and you run a 1X setup, it's super easy to route that cable thru there in place of the FD cable. I just built a 429C up with that same setup and it worked fine (uses the same type of plate). Just bear in mind that you'll want to make sure you cut that final piece of housing with the post at the height you prefer so it's tucked in nice and neat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Could someone take a picture of how the cables route under the top tube and above the rear shock. I haven't been able to locate any pictures that show where the front derailler cable exits the top tube under the shock. I have a Thomson dropper, so I won't be utilizing the stealth cabling option. I will be using a 1x setup and I'm trying to figure out the best way to route the dropper cable. I'm guessing that I will utilize the front derailler housing routing. I'm hoping that a picture will help me figure the best solution.
    It's not easy to see where the cable exits, but it's under the top tube, between the front shock mount brackets. After you loosen the front shock bolt and lower & rotate the shock, you need to remove the cable housing stop that is mounted up in there.
    FYI, most of the brake/derailleur cable mount screws use a 3mm allen wrench. The one where the derailleur cable exits the frame needs a 2.5mm allen. My old eyes couldn't figure out why my 3mm allen socket wouldn't fit. WTF Pivot, really?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Also, Scotch 2228 tape, or Helicopter clear tape to prevent cable rub? Any concerns for either on a carbon frame?
    What is Helicopter tape?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    What is Helicopter tape?
    Racers Tape Products
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I love my M6, but the rear cable and hose routing is insidious. When the rear travel compresses, the hoses bow out/in and create all sorts of rubbing issues. I don't run the rear der thru the provided frame ports. I made a loop of velcro that extends to either side of the frame and placed it under the first cable clamp just forward of the front shock mount. Now the cables slide forward above the shock and thru the velcro loop when the shock compresses. No bow-ing. No hitting my legs. No problema.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    I love my M6, but the rear cable and hose routing is insidious. When the rear travel compresses, the hoses bow out/in and create all sorts of rubbing issues. I don't run the rear der thru the provided frame ports. I made a loop of velcro that extends to either side of the frame and placed it under the first cable clamp just forward of the front shock mount. Now the cables slide forward above the shock and thru the velcro loop when the shock compresses. No bow-ing. No hitting my legs. No problema.
    MntnMan, post a few pics when you get a chance. I just got my first 2 rides in and I don't notice the cables bowing out while riding, but I still think there's room for improvement. I have a theory on a solution, but haven't taken the time to experiment. It would be cool to see other ideas and see if one of us can solve the issue in a clean and functional approach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast