Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    I love my M6, but the rear cable and hose routing is insidious. When the rear travel compresses, the hoses bow out/in and create all sorts of rubbing issues. I don't run the rear der thru the provided frame ports. I made a loop of velcro that extends to either side of the frame and placed it under the first cable clamp just forward of the front shock mount. Now the cables slide forward above the shock and thru the velcro loop when the shock compresses. No bow-ing. No hitting my legs. No problema.
    I am assuming that it doesn't rub the rear shock any longer as well?

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Negative, Mike. I used a dual crown fork trick and double ziptied the cables. One around the shock can and one loosely around the cables, running the cable one under the can one first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    Negative, Mike. I used a dual crown fork trick and double ziptied the cables. One around the shock can and one loosely around the cables, running the cable one under the can one first.
    Pic please

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

pretty serious cable rub on shock canister these 2 days

been riding the bike since mid jan, thought i got the potential cable rub spots settled with race shield stickers but the last 2 days of riding, the 2 cables that run under the frame got tangled in a fashion that caused the attached cable rub on my shock in just 2 days.

I have since added a couple more race shields on there but my main concern is if the cable rub would have caused the canister to be compromised. I wouldnt want the shock exploding

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-20140316_193018.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That is an interesting solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question

It works perfect! It could be done in the same manor as the pipe on the link if i could be bothered to find some!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    I'm glad it works, but the cabling hijinx needed for this bike make me want to cry.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Cross-post from the M6 problems thread. This info belongs here:

Quote Originally Posted by A.P. View Post
    Here's an alternative (better) cable routing for the Machs. Maybe not as photogenic as the Pivot routing, but much more functional when the suspension is working. No cable rub whatsoever.

When I purchased the bike, my lbs mechanic asked me if I wanted the "Pivot routing" or the "Good routing"...

I see the wisdom in your cable routing now that I have a M6 in front of me.

I think maybe some of these stick on cable guides could be the solution to a clean looking bike and ditching the cables problems of running them over the shock.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

dis member

I got a little crazy

and made a couple of line routers for the rear derailer and rear brake line. I couldn't stand how the shock motion shoved those lines into, well, nowhere they had any space to move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-14156263047_c1ea343814_c.jpg  

mtbr member
    I see the Passion Trail Bike sticker on that frame. Was Charles involved in that cable routing at all?

Keep on Rockin...
    Cable solution....

Cable routing is something I'm finicky about and wasn't happy with the M6's. Now I'm finding it to be one of the best.

I'd have to look again at exactly how I did it but rerouted the order of how the cables exit from under the TT. Now when the suspension cycles the cables bow in a horizontal, parallel, but opposite direction than they originally did. For example the cable exiting the left hole now bows to the right then redirects back to left. It takes up the "slack" perfectly so the bow barely protrudes.

While it was a hassle to find the precise set up, it now works perfectly and gives the routing to the rear derailure a very direct line.

A pic is worth a thousand words - I know. Will see what I can do.
    Last edited by Miker J; 06-07-2014 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Pic pic

Pivotal figure
    THIS is how it's supposed to work! Kind of like a scissor jack. Takes a little fine tuning to get the cable length right but it does work nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Cable solution....

Cable routing is something I'm finicky about and wasn't happy with the M6's. Now I'm finding it to be one of the best.

I'd have to look again at exactly how I did it but rerouted the order of how the cables exit from under the TT. Now when the suspension cycles the cables bow in a horizontal, parallel, but opposite direction than they originally did. For example the cable exiting the left hole now bows to the right then redirects back to left. It takes up the "slack" perfectly so the bow barely protrudes.

While it was a hassle to find the precise set up, it now works perfectly and gives the routing to the rear derailure a very direct line.

A pic is worth a thousand words - I know. Will see what I can do.

I'm pretty picky
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dis member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    I see the Passion Trail Bike sticker on that frame. Was Charles involved in that cable routing at all?
    Yes, Charles = Backpedal

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Have you guys tried this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-shock.jpg  

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-shock1.jpg  

Pivot Mach 6 cabling question-shock2.jpg  

In Search of Singletrack
    good lord there are some really hideous cable routing here! I have a M6. I agree that it could be better...but...if you cut the cable housing to the shortest length possible in the area of the rear shock, and secure the housing to the rear triangle with the tie-offs (zip ties), there will be only a very little bit of bowing of the cable housings in the shock area. No need for crazy cable routing and 100s of zip ties all over your frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Look my post ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2