mtbr member

Pivot Mach 5.7C drivetrain noise

Has anyone been able to isolate why these bikes are so noisy? It's something that has bugged me since day one, and I've noticed various posts from others around the interweb alluding to the same problem.

There is plenty of frame protection there and most of us are running clutch derailleurs. I just don't understand why this particular frame is so noisy compared to others with similar setups. Could it be something to do with the suspension action and position of the chainstay/seatstay?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Drivetrain wise....are you talking about chainslap or front derailleur noise from the chain rubbing against?

Do you have any protection on the underside of the downtime...clear 3M....to dampen the sand and gravel and dirt hitting the CARBON.

mtbr member
    Can you provide a little more info on your noise. When, where, how??
    San Diego needs singletrack

change is good
    Sep 2004

My 429c was noisy and others complained about it in theses forums. Here are some of the culprits.
    1. Loose headset
    2. Worn front chainring
    3. Loose shifter on Matchmaker adapter throwing the chain line off
    4. Rear axle needed lube
    5. Carbon seat post
    6. Time pedals
    7. On my 429a - shock shaft needed lube
    8. SuperMax cable guides

The point is, usually it's not the frame and it can be frustrating trying to identify the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

change is good
    Sep 2004

Also I use a non-aerosol silicon lube for the seatpost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

It's definitely drivetrain noise, or noise from that general area. I'm running 1x10 with a clutched derraileur and an NW ring. I recently added an upper chainguide, but before I even did this it was still very noisy back there. I don't understand it because every other bike I've ridden with 1x10 has been almost silent.

It is noisy pretty much any time something rough on a trail is encountered, or when landing from a jump, etc. It sounds like a loud clattering, essentially how bikes used to sound back in the day with the old shimano mechs bouncing around everywhere and the chain doing the same in the front derraileur.

The Pivot has the leatherised rubber inserts on the chainstay, seatstay and underside of downtube, so there should be plenty of protection there..

Pivotal figure
    Which der. are you running? I've had the clutch mechanism get loose on my Shimano and had to readjust the tension. I'm running a 2x setup on my 5.7 and it's silent (XT der. )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    XTR M986. I've got the clutch set pretty firm, probably too firm. I can see from riding photos it seems to hold the chain pretty securely, yet something back there is still making a racket.

Interesting yours is silent. Are there any other 5.7C owners out there who can confirm whether their bike is particularly noisy or not? It sounds silly, but I'm convinced it's something to do with this frame/the spec it commonly comes with. This is one of many references to the problem I have found - Home made Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon Chain Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DanoXC View Post
    Anyone that owns a Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon will know that there's a lot of noise from the chain slap

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Funny you mention it.
    Mine does.
    I'm running XT 2x10 with XT shadow+ and I have been thinking about increasing the clutch tension too. It's on blocks at the moment waiting for new bushings and the return of my Pike forks (internals replaced under warranty).
    When I get it back on the trails I'll see what it's like.

mtbr member
    Let us know how it goes! What's the deal with the new bushings?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Upon hearing some squeaking from the bike i inspected all the pivots. I found a little side to side play in the lower part of the rear shock. It would "click" from left to right and back again if I moved it. LBS confirmed it as too much play and recommended a replaced DU bushing.
    Thankfully it's a low cost consumable. Admittedly I've had it one year and it is on rotation with 2 other bikes so I would hope it should last longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah mine gets stupid amounts of chainslap. Even have neoprene chain stay protector but still noisy. Xt clutched mech.

Pivotal figure
    Check the clutch tension to make sure it's still tight. They do require periodic adjusting...Mine is a stock build and it's silent even thru the roughest stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    Yeah mine gets stupid amounts of chainslap. Even have neoprene chain stay protector but still noisy. Xt clutched mech.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

You down with entropy?
    Also make sure the clutch is actually working. I had one were the internals broke.
    I thought it was the tension, but it was the band itself broken.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah this happens with a brand new rear mech. Just how it's always been since new.