Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    I would like to hear of any builds, with the stock tires, that get below 28 lbs. Most seem to be in the 29 lb. range. I read about one that reportably was sub 27 but no details. Nothing wrong with 28 lbs BTW. Secondly K2 any idea what yours will weigh?
    Yeah, Pivot claims that the bike is Mach 6 durable but 429SL light. BS. My 5.5 (small) is a hair under 27 pounds but has a Fox 34 150mm fork (a half-pound less than the 36) and some Nox Kitsuma wheels that are lighter than the stock Reynolds wheels (about 1770 grams for the stockers). I was hoping for about 26 pounds with the fork and wheel substitutes, but no dice. My weight does include pedals, though: Look Carbon-Ti S-Tracks which are light light light. Much as I like their bikes, they must use the crappiest scales in existence. Or fudge a little...
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    [QUOTE=BmanInTheD;13264792]Yeah, Pivot claims that the bike is Mach 6 durable but 429SL light. BS. My 5.5 (small) is a hair under 27 pounds but has a Fox 34 150mm fork (a half-pound less than the 36) and some Nox Kitsuma wheels that are lighter than the stock Reynolds wheels (about 1770 grams for the stockers). I was hoping for about 26 pounds with the fork and wheel substitutes, but no dice. My weight does include pedals, though: Look Carbon-Ti S-Tracks which are light light light. Much as I like their bikes, they must use the crappiest scales in existence. Or fudge a little...[/QUOTE

Hi, what's the reason you opted for the Fox 34 150mm instead of stock 36 160mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Nothing wrong with 28 lbs BTW. Secondly K2 any idea what yours will weigh?
    In the past, 28 was always my imaginary ceiling as well. However, I started not worrying about tire weight as much and then I went for a comfy seat rather than a lightweight seat and the next thing I knew, my Mach 6 was 30-31 lbs. Frank...I'm using the NOX Farlow wheels off my Mach 6 but built up with heavier (by 80 grams I think) Hope Pro 4 hubs and also plan to probably use the new Fox DPX2 so I'm guessing 29'ish...

My Mach 6 climbed fantastically (just took it to Downieville and climbed every day) as far as I was concerned and EVERY review I've read so far omg the 5.5 says it's even better so I can imagine that the weight will be an issue for me at this point.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bman and K2, Well that explains the 27lbs, thanks. I get that pedals, bottle cage, etc. and you have a good pound added. Most builds I see with 36 fork and piggy back shock are 29 plus for several diff. bikes. I was just surprised when the number below 27 poped up. So it looks like 29 ish is normal. Again its not that the bike is heavy just typical of this style of bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    [QUOTE=krelldog;13264859]
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yeah, Pivot claims that the bike is Mach 6 durable but 429SL light. BS. My 5.5 (small) is a hair under 27 pounds but has a Fox 34 150mm fork (a half-pound less than the 36) and some Nox Kitsuma wheels that are lighter than the stock Reynolds wheels (about 1770 grams for the stockers). I was hoping for about 26 pounds with the fork and wheel substitutes, but no dice. My weight does include pedals, though: Look Carbon-Ti S-Tracks which are light light light. Much as I like their bikes, they must use the crappiest scales in existence. Or fudge a little...[/QUOTE

Hi, what's the reason you opted for the Fox 34 150mm instead of stock 36 160mm?
    I have a Firebird with a Fox 36 and, while it's a great fork, it's a bit of overkill for me at 140 pounds. I wanted a "Trail" bike and thought I'd like a little less weight and a bit less travel than the 160. Besides, the bike was originally designed with the Fox 34 at 150mm in mind, and performs flawlessly with this fork. Great going down AND up, with plenty of BB clearance.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Med. XX1 build. Wheels are NOX Kitsuma with I9s. measured at 28.6 lbs.

Pivot Mach 5.5 Carbon launched-5.5aug2017.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Thanks! Good looking bike!

nimble biker
    How does 5.5 compare to Mach 6?

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

nimble biker
    Reynolds wheel upgrade is available. How good is Reynolds wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Anyone looking here you go...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2223270/

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Asking $6,600 for a $7,099 MSRP bike?? Good luck with that!! lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    It has a few changes, but ya it's probably a little off. Offers make deals ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SX450 View Post
    It has a few changes, but ya it's probably a little off. Offers make deals ;-)
    But it states "Reasonable offers only". And then puts an unreasonable asking price at about 85% of MSRP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's a really good deal when you account for taxes and the upgraded shock. Mentions a new bike as the reason? How did you like that shock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The X2 transforms this bike. Love it like that. Honestly I have a Mach 5.5 and a FB I just want one gone and would prefer keeping the Mach. I have a Hightower LT otw...

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    How does 5.5 compare to Mach 6?

I'd like to hear that one too. Still digging the M6 buts its getting long in the tooth and not sure how much longer it will hold up. Seems to me that frames die on me in their 4th year. That said, the Pivot seems super tough.

Also still hung up on whether the next bike will be a 29 or 275 - both are great. Looking at the 5.5 or the Switchblade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'd like to hear that one too. Still digging the M6 buts its getting long in the tooth and not sure how much longer it will hold up. Seems to me that frames die on me in their 4th year. That said, the Pivot seems super tough.

Also still hung up on whether the next bike will be a 29 or 275 - both are great. Looking at the 5.5 or the Switchblade.
    Its built tough and more stout than the M6. I honestly think the Mach 5.5 is the M6 killer. The DW is so progressive that I really don't see a need for the extra 20mm unless you are riding some serious stuff. The 5.5 is almost the unicorn we all we want IMO.

I have climbed steeps, done long rides, jumps, fast berms, rock gardens. This bike is the real deal.

I have owned the following bikes for reference:
    Intense spider 275
    Evil Insurgent
    Yeti 5.5
    Evil Wreckoning
    Pivot Switchblade
    Mach 5.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Pivot Mach 5.5 Carbon launched

Accidental post.. oops

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Calling

The Calling and the 5.5 are two of the most fun all around bikes I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    The Calling and the 5.5 are two of the most fun all around bikes I've ridden.

Sorry.. that was an accidental post, meant to search the thread. #ownedbytapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, Pivot claims that the bike is Mach 6 durable but 429SL light. BS. My 5.5 (small) is a hair under 27 pounds but has a Fox 34 150mm fork (a half-pound less than the 36) and some Nox Kitsuma wheels that are lighter than the stock Reynolds wheels (about 1770 grams for the stockers). I was hoping for about 26 pounds with the fork and wheel substitutes, but no dice. My weight does include pedals, though: Look Carbon-Ti S-Tracks which are light light light. Much as I like their bikes, they must use the crappiest scales in existence. Or fudge a little...
    What hubs did you use with your Nox Kitsuma wheels? Do you have a weight for that Nox wheelset? And you say the Reynolds/I9 Pivot wheels are about 1770g? I did some approximations for that stock Pivot/Reynolds wheelset weight, using the Reynolds website weights. As far as I know, Reynolds doesn't offer that rim width (36mm ID) except through Pivot, so I approximated and came up with 1600 grams. Your 1770 grams is much higher, but that doesn't really surprise me. A friend who owns an SB, Mach 4, and a Mach 6 said the DT Alu wheels and the Reynolds carbon didn't differ much in weight.

I am planning on getting the 5.5, but not sure about going with a frame so I can get lighter wheels, or getting the X0 stock build with Reynolds Carbon rims. Do you have an opinion on that?

I have Nox Teocalli's with Project 321 hubs on my Mach 4 Carbon (size large w/ Talas 34mm 140 fork) and have had excellent luck with them.

Thanks, ahead of time, for any info and advice you may provide!

Here's my current ride:
    Pivot Mach 5.5 Carbon launched-p7270188.jpg

mtbr member

I also loved my Mach 6 V1 and told my local shop (who's helping me out with a crash replacement) that if I'm going to have to wait too long for a 5.5, I'd gladly take another Mach 6. He told me "You don't want to do that. I've ridden both and the 5.5 is superior in every way to the M6". I'm sure you saw them but early on in this thread there is a Pivot employee who basically said the same thing.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=nallacious;13277598]What hubs did you use with your Nox Kitsuma wheels? Do you have a weight for that Nox wheelset? And you say the Reynolds/I9 Pivot wheels are about 1770g? I did some approximations for that stock Pivot/Reynolds wheelset weight, using the Reynolds website weights. As far as I know, Reynolds doesn't offer that rim width (36mm ID) except through Pivot, so I approximated and came up with 1600 grams. Your 1770 grams is much higher, but that doesn't really surprise me. A friend who owns an SB, Mach 4, and a Mach 6 said the DT Alu wheels and the Reynolds carbon didn't differ much in weight.

I am planning on getting the 5.5, but not sure about going with a frame so I can get lighter wheels, or getting the X0 stock build with Reynolds Carbon rims. Do you have an opinion on that?

I have Nox Teocalli's with Project 321 hubs on my Mach 4 Carbon (size large w/ Talas 34mm 140 fork) and have had excellent luck with them.

Oops, I'm getting my numbers mixed up, sorry! It looks like the DT Swiss M1700 (35mm) are 2200 grams, so the Pivot/Reynolds carbon wheelset, according to your weights, are still 430 grams (about a pound) lighter. But, they're heavier than the Nox Kizuma with the same hub by 110 grams.
    Last edited by nallacious; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The folks at Pivot told me the carbon wheels for the 5.5 were about 1770 grams so I took them at their word and had some Kitsumas with I9 hubs built for about 1620 grams IIRC.

Keep on Rockin...
    Snowsed and K2...

I think I should put my fingers in my ears as I'm still happy with the M6.

But, when that moves on to greener pastures its great to hear there might be something better to replace it.

Always got an eye on the next bike.

Are most riders making use of the 5.5's clearance and running the new 2.6" flavor tires? Is that doing anything for the bike? I'm still on my Maxxis 2.3" tires and like them a lot. But, I've got a project going in order to give the 2.6" a try. If they turn out to be something I like, it might push me more toward the 5.5.

Would like to hear more how the 5.5 compares to the Switchblade.

mtbr member
    I'm still on my Maxxis 2.3" tires and like them a lot.
    You can run a DHF 2.5"/DHR 2.4" on the M6. I would definitely try some rubber wider than a Maxxis 2.3". It will blow your mind on your M6 and the cost is minimal.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Snowsed and K2...

But, when that moves on to greener pastures its great to hear there might be something better to replace it.

Are most riders making use of the 5.5's clearance and running the new 2.6" flavor tires? Is that doing anything for the bike? I'm still on my Maxxis 2.3" tires and like them a lot. But, I've got a project going in order to give the 2.6" a try. If they turn out to be something I like, it might push me more toward the 5.5.

I'm running 2.6 Rocket Rons and love them. Great summer loose over hard tire for so cal. Also just enough volume with the wallowing of 2.8's. I had a yeti SB5c+ with 2.8 Nobby Nics and that was too much volume. I could see going Maxxis DHF 2.6s and a 2.4-2,6 in the rear for winter riding.

mtbr member
    The folks at Pivot told me the carbon wheels for the 5.5 were about 1770 grams so I took them at their word and had some Kitsumas with I9 hubs built for about 1620 grams IIRC.
    That sounds right, thanks Bman!

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.5aug2017.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	1149734
    Very sweet. I like the Nox rims with black decals. What brand of hubs are you running?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Snowsed and K2...

I am running the 2.6 tires. I dont think i have come close to losing traction yet. I ride in South OC in CA. The trails are basically concrete with sand on top. I would like to try a 2.3/2.4 combo just to see the difference but so far i am really enjoying the 2.6.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Switchblade vs 5.5

I think the bikes are very close in actual ride feel. I think its more of a 29er vs 27.5 thing. I personally prefer the M5.5 so far. That might be because its a change from riding a 29er. I have ridden long travel 29ers for a while. I just feel for the terrain that I like to ride the 5.5 makes more sense.

I just put a Cane Creek Helm on my M5.5 and so far after 3 rides love it. The small bump is leaps ahead of the 36. I will reserve my judgement because CC has a poor track record with reliability.

I am thinking that a DVO topaz would be a great fit. I am really trying to try new things as i have ridden so much Fox stuff. I think its time to try new brands.

I will also be doing a wheel upgrade, id like to find a wheelset in the 1650 range with no less than a 28-30 ID.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Switchblade vs 5.5

I think the bikes are very close in actual ride feel. I think its more of a 29er vs 27.5 thing. I personally prefer the M5.5 so far. That might be because its a change from riding a 29er. I have ridden long travel 29ers for a while. I just feel for the terrain that I like to ride the 5.5 makes more sense.

I just put a Cane Creek Helm on my M5.5 and so far after 3 rides love it. The small bump is leaps ahead of the 36. I will reserve my judgement because CC has a poor track record with reliability.

I am thinking that a DVO topaz would be a great fit. I am really trying to try new things as i have ridden so much Fox stuff. I think its time to try new brands.

I will also be doing a wheel upgrade, id like to find a wheelset in the 1650 range with no less than a 28-30 ID.
    I agree with this. The bikes feel VERY similar. I've had both and kept the 5.5. Mainly cuz it was newer and, at 5'7" or so, is a more nimble and fun ride. The SB smashed over things better, but the 5.5 is a little more agile and fun in the air. But we're splitting hairs here, they're very similar with the biggest diff being wheel size and width. I will say I MUCH prefer the 2.6 Rekon/DHF combo on the 5.5 over the Blade with "plus" tires. You (I) don't feel much diff between 2.4 and 2.6 except maybe a small increase in traction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    [QUOTE=nallacious;13277734]
    Quote Originally Posted by nallacious View Post
    What hubs did you use with your Nox Kitsuma wheels? Do you have a weight for that Nox wheelset? And you say the Reynolds/I9 Pivot wheels are about 1770g? I did some approximations for that stock Pivot/Reynolds wheelset weight, using the Reynolds website weights. As far as I know, Reynolds doesn't offer that rim width (36mm ID) except through Pivot, so I approximated and came up with 1600 grams. Your 1770 grams is much higher, but that doesn't really surprise me. A friend who owns an SB, Mach 4, and a Mach 6 said the DT Alu wheels and the Reynolds carbon didn't differ much in weight.

Oops, I'm getting my numbers mixed up, sorry! It looks like the DT Swiss M1700 (35mm) are 2200 grams, so the Pivot/Reynolds carbon wheelset, according to your weights, are still 430 grams (about a pound) lighter. But, they're heavier than the Nox Kizuma with the same hub by 110 grams.
    Just weighed my 35mm DT Swiss M1700 at 1950g with rim tape, valve stems and XD driver. I'm assuming the carbons aren't really much lighter if so since the DT's were on my Firebird with same 2.6 tires and the FB weighed 29.4lbs with pedals and the Mach with carbons weighed 29.2 same pedals. Identical spec other than the FB has X01 Eagle vs. Mach XX1 eagle.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    I9 hubs.very happy with the wheel set so far. Took the bike to the local bike park. yesterday. Mach 5.5 bested all of my times on my DH bike on the flow trail.
    Here is a sample of the trail:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=esPnNCF72bM

mtbr member
    Switchblade vs 5.5

I'm no Fox fanboy by any means (I have the Pike on 2 bikes) but most people don't have the disposable income to be shuffling perfectly good forks and shocks through some sort of rotation on their bikes. I personally could get away with it but can barely tell a difference between the Pike and Fox 34 on my Primer. As far as the DVO, that green is just plain ugly to me so I wouldn't put it on my bike. That BLUE Helm color doesn't impress me either....
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    5.5 vs 6 vs switchblade ...

The 6 has been an awesome bike the last couple summers and I started my personal debate last summer when i demoed the switchblade 27.5+, whether or not there was something better out there. The Switchblade is a stout bike with impressive climbing and tons of fun when you point it downhill. Has more of a "in the bike feel" than the 6 when descending and the plus tires allow for straighter line choices when things get dicey.

Had Craig from Avy rebuild the float x earlier this year and wow, it felt like my 6 was a brand new bike again. Demos rolled through town and the 5.5 was unveiled, what a sick bike!! Tried the switchblade 29er to compare and it's definitely more efficient at climbing than the 6, but the 5.5 isn't far behind. Once at speed the switchblade 29er is a rocket and fun if you like the big wheels. I felt that you lose a little playfulness and finesse with the 29er version. That helped me solidify that 27.5 is my wheel size of choice for the trails in Colorado and my favorite places to ride. If I was to pick a 29er, the Evil Wreckoning and Following, were the most fun I've ever had on big wheeled bikes without feeling like I was on a 29er.

And then came along the 5.5 ...
    The 5.5 combines the best of everything and makes for a hell of a good time on two wheels! The 73.5 seat tube angle helps it feel more effective while climbing, similar to the 429 trail 29er version, and the 2.6 tires add another level of traction that I thought was only achieved by the Switchblade. The longer wheelbase provides the "in the bike" feeling versus the feeling of being "on the bike" when I ride my 6. I was able to ride the 5.5 on everything from loose and fast, to tight and technical, and finishing it off with sculpted, machine built downhill perfection. The 5.5 feels more playful compared to the 6 and the switchblade and I think that's evident with Pivot going through 3 versions before releasing it to the public. I've been lucky to progress from the Mach 5 to the original firebird and then the Mach 6. Pivot has continued to amaze me with their dedication to progression and the 5.5 has come out at the top of my list, think my order will be getting placed this week!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm no Fox fanboy by any means (I have the Pike on 2 bikes) but most people don't have the disposable income to be shuffling perfectly good forks and shocks through some sort of rotation on their bikes. I personally could get away with it but can barely tell a difference between the Pike and Fox 34 on my Primer. As far as the DVO, that green is just plain ugly to me so I wouldn't put it on my bike. That BLUE Helm color doesn't impress me either....
    Sold my 36 and picked up a brand new Helm for 650.00 off Pinkbike. It cost me 0 to change forks. Just have to look around. I have the Black one also. I know newegg has Helms for 750.00 in either color.

nimble biker
    How does 5.5 compare to Trek remedy 9.8 2018?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Has anyone ridden the Mach 5.5 and can compare to Santa Cruz 5010? Specifically in playfulness and nimbleness? I ride a 5010 currently, looking for something a bit more confident descending, without giving up TOO much in the playfulness an climbing department. I know, the Unicorn bike! Demoed the Mach 6, but there wasn't a 5.5 available. The Mach 6 felt a bit long and not as easy to corner as I would like. Thinking the 5.5 may be a good compromise...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Erockowitz View Post
    Has anyone ridden the Mach 5.5 and can compare to Santa Cruz 5010? Specifically in playfulness and nimbleness? I ride a 5010 currently, looking for something a bit more confident descending, without giving up TOO much in the playfulness an climbing department. I know, the Unicorn bike! Demoed the Mach 6, but there wasn't a 5.5 available. The Mach 6 felt a bit long and not as easy to corner as I would like. Thinking the 5.5 may be a good compromise...
    I have not ridden the 5010 but i have owned the Intense spider 275. So both bikes vpp and 130 travel.

The 5.5 climbs just as well, but blows it away on the downhills. Think of fun, fast, stable, poppy bike, that climbs almost as well.

The 275 was a great climber but not close to as stable as the 5.5 at high speeds. The suspension also feels more capable vs the 275.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erockowitz View Post
    I have a 5010 and since my I destroyed my Mach 6 (100% my fault), I've been riding it in areas I would normally ride the Mach 6 and I'm definitely getting tossed around more than normal on the rough stuff. I'm waiting on a 5.5 replacement frame I'm hoping it's even 80% of what everyone claims it to be and I'm sure I'll be a happy camper. If not, I'll move on to a more "enduro" type frame like the Mach 6...even though everyone that's ridden both says the 5.5 is a better bike. We'll see!!
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Keep me posted on how you like the 5.5, exciting times! The Mach 6 was great, just a bit much I think as a daily driver for me...

mtbr member
    Erockowitz,

I had a 5010v2 and rode on trails from Moab to Roth Rock. The 5010 seemed a little snappier from turn to turn in terms of handling. I'm no expert though. Otherwise, the M5.5 climbs technical terrain and accelerates better. It loves going really fast downhill and hitting drops. It almost begs to be jumped off stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm ready to finally pick up a 5.5 frame now that they are in stock at a number of online dealers. Just wondering what dropper post you guy's are running on your 5.5? Mine will be a large frame.
    *2015 Knolly Warden,Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin,Custom Build*
    *2016 Ibis Mojo HD3,Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    Erockowitz,

I had a 5010v2 and rode on trails from Moab to Roth Rock. The 5010 seemed a little snappier from turn to turn in terms of handling.
    This doesn't surprise me since the 5.5 is running on 2.6 tires. Besides, just looking at the 5.5 frame in person looks like it was made to withstand WWIII. Not implying it won't be a blast to ride but it doesn't look "snappy" to me.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    Erockowitz,

I had a 5010v2 and rode on trails from Moab to Roth Rock. The 5010 seemed a little snappier from turn to turn in terms of handling. I'm no expert though. Otherwise, the M5.5 climbs technical terrain and accelerates better. It loves going really fast downhill and hitting drops. It almost begs to be jumped off stuff.
    Thanks for all the replies. Kinda what I figured, need to demo one soon!

mtbr member
    I'm running Reynolds Enduro wheels with 2.3 DHF/Aggressor tires though. The longer WB and slacker HA are probably effecting the snappiness/flickability.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I'm ready to finally pick up a 5.5 frame now that they are in stock at a number of online dealers. Just wondering what dropper post you guy's are running on your 5.5? Mine will be a large frame.
    I have a large and I'm 6ft 33 inseam and running a 150 dropper. Its perfect!

nimble biker
    How do Reynolds wheels perform on 5.5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    How do Reynolds wheels perform on 5.5?

Finely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have a 170 dropper on mine and it's perfect for me at 6'-1". I absolutely love this bike. I mentally moved off of it a week or so ago and was ready to try the next best thing, but rode it twice since and realized that this is the best bike i've ever owned for both up and down the hill, especially down! And the Reynolds work awesome! Zero complaints and I love the engagement of the I9's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Had a chance to demo a medium Mach 5.5 over the weekend. It was a relatively short loop, certainly not long enough to do a thorough test but just enough to get a feel for the bike. The trail itself was relatively easy with short downhill sections, a few berms and several climbs. Nothing overly technical.

Onto the bike. I had just finished demoing a medium Ibis Mojo 3. Even though on paper the bikes were fairly similar, in real life they could not be more different. The Ibis felt very light and quick and wanted to pop off everything. The Mach 5.5 by comparison did not have the playful nature of the Mojo 3. The Pivot was heavier, smoother, and more refined with a bottomless suspension feel. The bike seemed to conform to the terrain, staying cool and composed throughout the entire demo. Picking proper lines was an option as it felt like you could just plow through anything. The 2.8 Nobby Nic tires on the Ibis definitely had an advantage in the corners and by a surprising amount. The 2.6 Minion and Rekon felt more like plush 2.3 tires than a mini 2.8 if that makes sense.

Both bikes were a blast in their own way. I preferred the ride of the Pivot but walked away with two reservations. One is the weight. This is not a light bike despite what Pivot claims. Two, the top suspension link was quite wide and located not far from my knees. I made contact a couple of times during the short demo ride.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    To add to my bike review I didn't note that I am running the X2. My first ride impression with the stock DPS was less than stellar. The X2 completely transforms this bike. Anyone wondering how the climb switch works for this bike and shock combo, rest assured, it climbs very well. I can share my shock settings for anyone interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    For those interested, there is finally a data point out there. Competitive Cyclist is claiming the weight of a small red frame to be 2930g (6.46lb). Not sure if this included the shock and rear axle. The person I spoke to did not know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by compengr View Post
    Onto the bike. I had just finished demoing a medium Ibis Mojo 3. Even though on paper the bikes were fairly similar, in real life they could not be more different. The Ibis felt very light and quick and wanted to pop off everything. The Mach 5.5 by comparison did not have the playful nature of the Mojo 3. The Pivot was heavier, smoother, and more refined with a bottomless suspension feel. The bike seemed to conform to the terrain, staying cool and composed throughout the entire demo. Picking proper lines was an option as it felt like you could just plow through anything. The 2.8 Nobby Nic tires on the Ibis definitely had an advantage in the corners and by a surprising amount. The 2.6 Minion and Rekon felt more like plush 2.3 tires than a mini 2.8 if that makes sense.

^^ This right here explains why it's so great to have so many options out there because while I also haven't ridden the 5.5 enough to comment, I couldn't disagree with you more on the feel of the Mojo 3. A buddy of mine has one set up with XTR Di2, Ibis 942 wheels and Fox 34 so it weighs under 27 lbs but that thing does NOT ride light and poppy to me at all...and he has 2.35 tires on it. It came with the 2.8 Nobby Nics an it was worse with them by far, so bad it swore me off 2.8 tires forever. He hated them as well. With the 2.35 tires, he loves the Mojo 3 and it has transformed his riding skill. I liked the HD3 he had prior to the Mojo 3 better.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Had a chance to demo a medium Mach 5.5 over the weekend....
    I had just finished demoing a medium Ibis Mojo 3. Even though on paper the bikes were fairly similar, in real life they could not be more different. The Ibis felt very light and quick and wanted to pop off everything....
    compengr, when you say the Ibis wanted to "pop off everything", do you mean that in a positive way, like it wanted to jump off ledges and stuff? Or, do you mean it was loosing traction and not sticking on climbs? Obviously you felt the Ibis railed in the corners. Ibis definitely makes some sweet bikes too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I meant it in a positive way. The suspension on the Mojo 3 felt stiffer, giving it a lighter, more playful feel. While I did like the feel, I also preferred the more composed ride of the Mach 5.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I owned a Mojo 3 and it makes sense that it would feel like it wanted to pop off everything. The mojo has a short wheelbase that makes it super fun, playful and I've never been on a bike that wants to pump more than the Mojo. The trade-off however, was that thing was squirly at speed. I haven't ridden the 5.5 yet (this weekend) but I'm hoping it has much of the playfulness of the Mojo 3, climbs similar to the 429T, and is more stable desender than both. Fingers Corssed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post
    .......I haven't ridden the 5.5 yet (this weekend) but I'm hoping it has much of the playfulness of the Mojo 3, climbs similar to the 429T, and is more stable desender than both....
    I am confident that you will be quite pleased!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Like to hear your findings on the bikes you evaluate. I'm looking for an all mountain bike to compliment my 429c ( minions on carbon wheels, 120 pike, dropper). My criteria is stable, confident, and playful in black diamond terrain and a good climber among peer bikes. I need more time on the Mach 5.5, but so far it is a candidate as well as the Yeti 5.5. I think you'll have a lot of fun this weekend on the Mach 5.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Is this chart accurate? I had a 5.5 in L with a Transfer 150 as a testbike and was able to ride it despite my seat height being around 71cm. Just ordered a size M frame...
    I decided to go with DT XM481 rims on Hope Pro4 hubs and a 2.5 DHF and a 2.3 SS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brightride View Post
    Like to hear your findings on the bikes you evaluate. I'm looking for an all mountain bike to compliment my 429c ( minions on carbon wheels, 120 pike, dropper). My criteria is stable, confident, and playful in black diamond terrain and a good climber among peer bikes. I need more time on the Mach 5.5, but so far it is a candidate as well as the Yeti 5.5. I think you'll have a lot of fun this weekend on the Mach 5.5.
    Owned both bikes.

Get the Mach 5.5, its a better more fun bike than the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Had a chance to demo a medium Mach 5.5 over the weekend. It was a relatively short loop, certainly not long enough to do a thorough test but just enough to get a feel for the bike. The trail itself was relatively easy with short downhill sections, a few berms and several climbs. Nothing overly technical.

Both bikes were a blast in their own way. I preferred the ride of the Pivot but walked away with two reservations. One is the weight. This is not a light bike despite what Pivot claims. Two, the top suspension link was quite wide and located not far from my knees. I made contact a couple of times during the short demo ride.

I appreciate this post because I own a Mojo 3 and love the way this thing rides (playful and rails corners like crazy), but the 5.5 design is intriguing. The M3 has made me a better rider and opened up more options for techier terrain, but there are points where you start to wonder about something with a little more edge towards aggressive terrain. Based on your impressions, it sounds like the 5.5 slots into that next step, but not too far. I'm hoping to demo one at some point, but in the meantime, keep these ride reviews coming in!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder yeti View Post
    5.5 vs 6 vs switchblade ...

The 6 has been an awesome bike the last couple summers and I started my personal debate last summer when i demoed the switchblade 27.5+, whether or not there was something better out there. The Switchblade is a stout bike with impressive climbing and tons of fun when you point it downhill. Has more of a "in the bike feel" than the 6 when descending and the plus tires allow for straighter line choices when things get dicey.

Had Craig from Avy rebuild the float x earlier this year and wow, it felt like my 6 was a brand new bike again. Demos rolled through town and the 5.5 was unveiled, what a sick bike!! Tried the switchblade 29er to compare and it's definitely more efficient at climbing than the 6, but the 5.5 isn't far behind. Once at speed the switchblade 29er is a rocket and fun if you like the big wheels. I felt that you lose a little playfulness and finesse with the 29er version. That helped me solidify that 27.5 is my wheel size of choice for the trails in Colorado and my favorite places to ride. If I was to pick a 29er, the Evil Wreckoning and Following, were the most fun I've ever had on big wheeled bikes without feeling like I was on a 29er.

And then came along the 5.5 ...
    The 5.5 combines the best of everything and makes for a hell of a good time on two wheels! The 73.5 seat tube angle helps it feel more effective while climbing, similar to the 429 trail 29er version, and the 2.6 tires add another level of traction that I thought was only achieved by the Switchblade. The longer wheelbase provides the "in the bike" feeling versus the feeling of being "on the bike" when I ride my 6. I was able to ride the 5.5 on everything from loose and fast, to tight and technical, and finishing it off with sculpted, machine built downhill perfection. The 5.5 feels more playful compared to the 6 and the switchblade and I think that's evident with Pivot going through 3 versions before releasing it to the public. I've been lucky to progress from the Mach 5 to the original firebird and then the Mach 6. Pivot has continued to amaze me with their dedication to progression and the 5.5 has come out at the top of my list, think my order will be getting placed this week!

Thanks. Nice review.

But, you forgot to mention, that the M5.5 looks super cool in red - at least in pictures!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Has anyone compared the 5.5 to the Firebird? I am so torn deciding between these two bikes. I was at the LBS checking out both of them for a couple hours ready to buy one and I just walked out because I couldn't decide.

Has anyone took an angle measuring tool (phone app) and measured the head angle of the 5.5? I swear it is slacker than 66.5 that the website says (which is a good thing for me, I love'em slack). Just sitting on the 5.5, it feels as slack as a FB did and comparing the direct side view pictures, it looks like its .5 degrees within the FB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck2Flat View Post
    Has anyone compared the 5.5 to the Firebird? I am so torn deciding between these two bikes. I was at the LBS checking out both of them for a couple hours ready to buy one and I just walked out because I couldn't decide.

Has anyone took an angle measuring tool (phone app) and measured the head angle of the 5.5? I swear it is slacker than 66.5 that the website says (which is a good thing for me, I love'em slack). Just sitting on the 5.5, it feels as slack as a FB did and comparing the direct side view pictures, it looks like its .5 degrees within the FB.
    I have both and can give you lots of info. I've tinkered with the FB quite a bit with it stock and modified for daily riding. I ride a large in everything standard, but bought a medium FB to match reach, etc. to my old Switchblade in plus prior to the release of the Mach (1 month later!!). The bike climbs every bit as good as my Mach, both with X2 shock. For the FB my build was frame up so I was able to get it exactly how I wanted. I installed a 160 fork then went with a +1 degree works headset and man the thing is just awesome! Lots of travel when needed with almost zero loss in the climbing dept. I have swapped back and forth between the two bikes for multiple rides and every time I get back on the FB I think that's the one I want to keep for my daily rider. It rails the berms and soaks up everything in it's path with ease. I think my only hang up is the Mach looks better in my opinion ;-) I have a 170 fork on it now and removed the angleset since it's for sale, but part of me hopes it doesn't. I have the new Hightower LT on the way to see how 29 is again, so a 3 bike garage is a little much according to my wife.

Back to the question of HA. The FB with a 160 fork and the 1 degree works headset puts it at 66.4 which is almost identical to the Mach. That said they feel exactly the same in that department so I think the advertised HA is correct. I have had them set up together level and "scientifically eyeballed" the two angles and they look to be the same as well. One other plus to the FB is that it's seat angle is much steeper (especially with my mods) for climbing and for anyone wondering it has more room in the rear stays for 2.6 tires to fit on 35mm internal rims than the Mach believe it or not. I can vouch definitively on that one! Let me know if you have any other questions between the two- I love this stuff!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    SX450, thank you for your reply!
    That is great to know that the 2.6" tires will fit on a FB. The stock wheels on the 5.5 make it look so burly which I love.
    Why would you sell your FB if you like it more than the 5.5?

Not to beat the head angle thing to death (but I will anyways); doing some crude comparisons in CAD with the stock images from Pivot's website, it really seems like the head angle is 65.5
    I used the kashima coating as my "datum". The black lines are 65.5, the green lines are 66.5.
    I made sure that the axles are on the same horizontal plane to each other.
    Pivot Mach 5.5 Carbon launched-mach55_hta.jpg

With the FB, I measured ~64.9, and I had to rotate the image .2 degrees to get the axles on the same horizontal plane.
    Pivot Mach 5.5 Carbon launched-fb_hta.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Huck, I could be wrong, but I believe the HA is measured at the head tube itself and not the stanchions which include fork offset. Others may chime in on that if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SX450 View Post
    Huck, I could be wrong, but I believe the HA is measured at the head tube itself and not the stanchions which include fork offset. Others may chime in on that if I'm wrong.
    The stanchions should be on the same angular plane as the head tube so it's a legit place to measure HTA. The offset should be parallel to the HTA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck2Flat View Post

For grins I just went out and measured the HA's on my FB, 5.5 and 429SL with my phone app. In the exact same spot (with the floor being 0*), the FB measured 64.5*, the 5.5 measured 65.5 and the Mach 429SL was 68*. Now, mind you, I have a Fox 34 150mm on my 5.5 so the fact that it was only a degree different than the FB (it should have been 2* diff per Pivot) means that maybe you're on to something. I HAVE noticed that, having ridden the 5.5 a bunch lately, that I don't want it any slacker than it is, which it would be with the Fox 36 160mm. Maybe the fact that it's slacker than it's supposed to be has something to do with that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I demo'd a large at Big Bear DirtFeast a while back, conditions were not ideal but I don't always ride in ideal conditions. Really liked the bike a lot but felt a little longish (5'10.5" with a 30" inseam) So I rented a Medium last weekend and rode Sat & Sun and really liked the way the bike felt. I rode on some familiar trails and it tracked great. Sat was a mix of rocky chunky, rooty semi fast sections. Sun was more CC'ish with lots of up & down, tight twisty stuff and the bike was a lot of fun and was way more efficient than my 6Fattie I've been on for two years.

I liked so much that I just ordered a Med Pro XO build yesterday!. Probably more bike than I need but why not have the travel if needed in a bike that pedals so well. Completely justified in my mind, lol. Just for the record I demo'd the xt/xtr build and it was a brand new bike, not an abused demo and IMO the Shimano stuff is a tad clunky in the shifting, up & down. Not horrible but I'm so used to riding the Sram stuff the last two yrs and how smooth it is that's why I went XO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    So I rented a Medium last weekend and rode Sat & Sun
    Where did you rent from?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Where did you rent from?
    Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach, Ca has a medium demo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Where did you rent from?
    I got it thru spinlister.com and a local bike shop is part of the program. requested the bike & days I wanted and it worked out. 60.00 a day

nimble biker
    Do you guys choose medium/large because you are tall?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Nope, I'm 5'10 1/2 and medium just felt better to me than the large

mtbr member
    Nope, I'm 5'10 1/2 and medium just felt better to me than the large
    Same with me. Same height and a medium with a 50mm stem works. Wouldn't want it any longer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and long arms. I currently ride a large Mach 4 with a 130mm fork. It's the perfect bike for my local trails but I would like more travel for the steeper and rougher high mountain trails I ride in the summer. Pivot was in town recently with their demo fleet and I had the opportunity to ride a medium and large 5.5. Compared to my M4 the large 5.5 felt too big. I preferred the medium which handled better for me.

mtbr member
    I got it thru spinlister.com
    Never heard of it. Just looked it up. Sounds interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How many of you guy's are running the 5.5 with the Fox X2? Is it that much better than the Fox DPS Evolv? Also, is the Fox 36 the "perfect" fork for the 5.5? Or as suggested in an earlier post, the Fox 34 would be just fine as well. I'm getting ready to purchase the frame only, and trying to decide how I want to build up the suspension.

mtbr member
    I think the 36 is a great fork for the bike. And the Evol shock seems great but don't have any experience with the X2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    I think the 36 is a great fork for the bike. And the Evol shock seems great but don't have any experience with the X2

Thanks wooly88. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I want to have my suspension choices ironed out before my frame arrives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm running a Fox 34 150mm on mine. I don't weigh but about 145 or so kitted up so the 36 is more stiffness (and weight) than I need, plus I wanted to run it at 150 in the front. I've got a Firebird with a 36 for the gnarlier, steeper stuff and use the 5.5 for "trail"/aggressive xc. If the 5.5 is gonna be your only, or "big", bike, I'd run the 36 at 160.

Oh, and I think the DPS Evol is a terrific shock for this bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm running a Fox 34 150mm on mine. I don't weigh but about 145 or so kitted up so the 36 is more stiffness (and weight) than I need, plus I wanted to run it at 150 in the front. I've got a Firebird with a 36 for the gnarlier, steeper stuff and use the 5.5 for "trail"/aggressive xc. If the 5.5 is gonna be your only, or "big", bike, I'd run the 36 at 160.

Oh, and I think the DPS Evol is a terrific shock for this bike.

Thanks Bman. I am building up a new Knolly Warden next week to replace the Warden I just sold, and I still have my Knolly Endorphin 26". The Knolly Warden will be set up with a RS Lyrik at 160mm and a Cane Creek DB Inline Coil shock. So that could be my "big" bike as you say, so maybe I build up the 5.5 with the Fox 34 150mm. I'm around 185lbs-190lbs RTR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sounds like a plan. You know, the 5.5 was designed for a 150mm fork. They were screwing around on South Mountain and decided they like it even better with a 160. I'm running 170mm cranks with the 150 fork and can count the number of pedal strikes I've had on one hand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like a plan. You know, the 5.5 was designed for a 150mm fork. They were screwing around on South Mountain and decided they like it even better with a 160. I'm running 170mm cranks with the 150 fork and can count the number of pedal strikes I've had on one hand.

Yeah I remember reading that online. Thanks again. Has anyone tried using a coil shock on their 5.5, or is it not advisable to do that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah I remember reading that online. Thanks again. Has anyone tried using a coil shock on their 5.5, or is it not advisable to do that?
    Pivot FAQ says no to coil shocks. I replaced my DPS with a DPX2 and really like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Pivot FAQ says no to coil shocks. I replaced my DPS with a DPX2 and really like it.

Thanks for the confirmation swinkey. I knew I had read that somewhere. So there's the Fox X2 and the Fox DPX2. Any major difference in the performance between them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Did you get the DPX2 from Pivot with their tune?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin01 View Post
    Did you get the DPX2 from Pivot with their tune?
    Pivot didn't have any so my LBS ordered direct from Fox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the confirmation swinkey. I knew I had read that somewhere. So there's the Fox X2 and the Fox DPX2. Any major difference in the performance between them?
    If you weight 180-190 stay with the 36. Don't move to a 34. This bike is stout and putting a noodle on it to save a pound is silly at your weight.

I just put a Helm on mine and its fine but moving to a 34 would be a deal breaker on stiffness for me.

The person on the 34 weights as much as my legs no joke, so it is probably fine for him.

Think of this bike as an Enduro bike that pedals well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you weight 180-190 stay with the 36. Don't move to a 34. This bike is stout and putting a noodle on it to save a pound is silly at your weight.

I just put a Helm on mine and its fine but moving to a 34 would be a deal breaker on stiffness for me.

The person on the 34 weights as much as my legs no joke, so it is probably fine for him.

Think of this bike as an Enduro bike that pedals well.

Gotcha Snowsed. I was definitely leaning that way, but just thought I would ask about the 34. I've been told that the X2 is the gold standard for the 5.5. Any comments on that statement??

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Gotcha Snowsed. I was definitely leaning that way, but just thought I would ask about the 34. I've been told that the X2 is the gold standard for the 5.5. Any comments on that statement??
    I have the dps shock, but i am also thinking of either the X2 or Topaz. I wish an 11/6 would work!!

Will most likely end up X2. I have heard the the new dpx2 has had issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have the dps shock, but i am also thinking of either the X2 or Topaz. I wish an 11/6 would work!!

Will most likely end up X2. I have heard the the new dpx2 has had issues.
    Rumor is that Push is working on an 11/6 for it. It's the only coil approved for a couple other Pivot frames already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    Rumor is that Push is working on an 11/6 for it. It's the only coil approved for a couple other Pivot frames already.

That would be amazing, if this is the case save your pennies as the 11/6 trumps all. I had one on my Wreckoning and it was a game changer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That would be amazing, if this is the case save your pennies as the 11/6 trumps all. I had one on my Wreckoning and it was a game changer.
    I've got a Wreck with the 11/6 as well. The best shock I've ridden in terms of its ability to cope with terrain, maintaining contact with the riding surface, traction, staying composed in all situations, big hit ability, small bump sensitivity, etc. It's not super poppy, but that's not what I was looking for on this bike or the tune.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast