Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question

Interested in your views on what size 429C I should order - S or M? Currently on a M4 Medium.
    My height is 5 foot 8.5 inches.
    Pivot say small - 5ft6 to 5ft10
    Pivot say medium - 5ft9 to 6ft1
    My main concern is the seat tube height on a small, as I run a seat height of 29inches from the centre of the bottom bracket to top of the middle of the seat.

I will be using the bike to do everything - XC Racing, 6 hour endurance, general trail etc

Appreciate your thought?

official eMpTyBRain
    Look at it like this. If you ride sketchy stuff where fast and quick moves at all speeds are necessary, get the small. It will react faster.

If you ride higher speed dirt where you are plowing downhill mostly w/o much in the way of twitchy, technical stuff, go for the medium.

I'm 5'8.5" and I have a medium 429 (alloy). It's a little big, IMO. I went with a straight seatpost (always used laybacks on other bikes) and a slightly shorter stem to feel comfortable on this bike.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I'm 5'8.5", 170#. After test riding a small Mach 4 at my LBS, and finding it to be satisfactory, I ordered a 429C small. It is a little bigger than the Mach 4 Small. I'd agree that it is nimble, especially compared to the other 29er that I tested; Specialized Epic Marathon Carbons in Med & Lg. The Pivot is like a sports car, the Epics were like long wheelbase sedans.

Long Live the Gorn!
    I am 5'10... probably really 5'9.5" and I am riding a medium and other than a little shorter in the TT than I am used to, the bike rides nimble but its still plenty of bike to ride.. I agree above at 5'8"ish I think small would be a great fit. Also the frame / fit seem to support tall / long seatposts for you longer than average seat height

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback so far.
    Looks like the small will be the best fit for what I'm after as most of our trails are tight and twisty. Maneuverability is a key ingredient and it what has probably put me off a 29er up until now.
    Seems a bit weird ordering a small. Always had mediums.....

Do you see any issues with the seat post sticking out basically 13inches from the collar?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Well, I'm not an expert, but I feel no issues with the short seat tube. But I do know the step over height is more manageable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for this post i too am 5'8 1/2 and 190 plus and was wondering the same question. I have always had mediums and feel weird going with a small but this is good info to consider. Thanks

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    I'm in the same boat, Ozi. Always had Mediums, and ordering a Small just seems wrong. But given the Pivot sizing guide, and the solid advice above, I'd wager that small is the way to go. I once had a Medium race bike that I just had to have, and it never did dial in the way I needed it to for more technical courses. Too long for steep climbs and a challenge to get over the back end on descents. Given that test riding a 429c is near to impossible in my area, I have only tried a 5.7c Medium. It was too big, just like that race bike I had.

mtbr member
    im 5'8 3/4" using SMALL 429c with 90mm stem. friend with similar height also feels the size is just right...
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm 5'8 1/2" with 30 inch inseam and have a M Yeti 575 and Enduro. I demoed both the S & M 429c on long rides. Loved both, but thought S had a more comfortable reach. On the S, it was easier to stay balanced and weight the wheels. I felt more in control on the S in difficult terrain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just called a shop in Michigan where I will be visiting soon to rent a 429. They had initially sized me up for a medium, but then decided to put me on the small because of the way the frame sizes run. I too thought this was weird but I'd rather be on a bike that's a bit smaller than a bit bigger.

For reference, I'm about 5'8, 160 lbs, medium build.

I'll follow up in this thread if I find that the small isn't big enough.

Get to dah choppah
    IMO you'll likely be best fit on a small. I'm 6'0" and am very comfy on a medium.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    I read this thread 30 times when ordering my new 429c and went back and forth over and over regarding small or medium. I just couldn't get my head around being on a small bike at 5'9" on the nose. I test rode the Medium, loved it, but did think it felt a bit big for me so I went ahead and ordered Small.

I've messed around with the fit some but am now super dialed with an 80mm stem and a dropper post on the Small. I have about 500 miles on it in everything from XC races to Shuttles. It's pretty whippable for a 29er and fast in techy stuff but still climbs insanely well. Seriously, the bike is an insane climber whether on fireroads, pavement or techy single track. I was on a Mach 4 previously (medium) which was a pretty good climber too but the 429 is in its own league.

So - for anyone else out there going through same machinations 5'9" and Small works well.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'10 and went with medium, the frame has long top tube at 24 inches. I have long upper body, the bike fits like a glove. The best bike I have ever owned, just sold my 2013 Rocky Mountain 999 RSL Element. The pivot is heavier buy you do not feel it because of how stiff the frame is compared to the Rocky. Everybody I ride with now says I'm 20% faster on the Pivot, it's that good!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was in your same boat and went with a Medium and happy I did. I am 5'9 with my shoes on and went with a 70mm stem and fits me like a glove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-dsc03711.jpg  

2012 Specialized Camber Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice looking bike !! That a loaded stem? This waiting for my Green frame to arrive, all Enve stem, Bars, seat post, XTR brakes with Hope rotors. X01 drive trail with xx1 crank and Bontrager Evoke carbon saddle. Light Bicycles 30mm rims, Hadley hubs with Sapim Laser spokes. Should be around 25lbs.
    I'm been riding a demo 429 carbon now for a 3.5 weeks my shop is really cool, I said I could not ride anything else after riding the Pivot. Can't wait to get my frame on Wednesday, I post some picts!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes that is a loaded stem and rims. I asked for the xtr brakes but my shop could not get them but had the xt in stock and I was tired of waiting would have saved a little weight plus i liked the look a little better. Lets just say having the shop do a custom build for me was a pain in the butt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am your size and on a small. I think a medium would be to big.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacuslv View Post
    I am your size and on a small. I think a medium would be to big.
    My pivot dealer recommended size medium for me and i was able to demo a bike(4 weeks) to verify it would not be too big prior to ordering it. I am an obsessive type and was measuring all my deminsions for weeks trying to figure out what size frame to get. My conclusion was i would be happy with either size.
    Last edited by Bmann_mtb; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:46 AM.

74 & 29 pilot
    It's interesting how everybody has a different preference on how they like their bike to fit. I'm 6' with a 33 inch inseam and I ride a medium with a 50mm stem. I've been riding it since November and with a 70mm stem and just swapped out to the 50 about 5 weeks ago. I love the fit and so glad I didn't do the large.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Frame is in!!

Frame just came in!! Now the fun starts!! Check it out, with BB installed and headset cups frame is 6.43 lbs not light. Will see what the build will come to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-p1060586.jpg  

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-p1060577.jpg  

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-p1060585.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thats a cool combo.

Dual Squishy...
    Love that Green. That's my next bike. Still on the fence on size. Have a medium Mach 5.7c with a 90mm stem. Stem is too long and thinking 70mm or 60mm would be better. TT on the small 429c and the medium 5.7c are very close, so still thinking small...

Anyone have a 5.7c and 429c that could compare?

mtbr member
    I don't have a 5.7 but came off a medium Mach4 before getting a small 429c. I am 5'9" on the nose, barefoot. I love the small but I am pretty sure I would have been good on the medium too. I rode both before I made decision and went with small cause it felt a bit whippier to me and I intended for it to be more trail bike and less XC race rig. I did feel like I lost some of the Mac Truck, bowl over anything in my way, feeling the medium gave me on the small but I got more of whippiness I was after.

BTW I have a Medium Les 29er that I love and in hardtail on a bike that is just designed to climb fast/race I think Medium is right call. Like someone on this thread said before, I think at 5'9" both both small and medium work great on 429c. It's just personal preference and what you are using bike for.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm the same size, to me it comes down to where you want to be on the bike. Small puts me at 90mm stem, I would guess that a Medium (with a 1" longer TT) would put me at about a 65mm. With the small I'm more over the front wheel, which aids in steep climbing. With a Medium you'd probably feel a little lighter in the front end, but maybe a better descender. As etuck said, the smaller size will get you a whippier feel, the medium a little more point and shoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast