Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Totally agree with that. On the small the seat dropper is really important. I also have my seat a bit further back on rails than is recommended to enable me to put an 80mm stem and not the 100 it came with. It took a while to get the fit dialed but when I did I was stoked!

Such killer bikes.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bike is done Med. fits perfect for me 5'10. 25.4 lbs. The grips got to go, going back to Ergon grips. I love this bike!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-p1060595.jpg  

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-p1060602.jpg  

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question-p1060599.jpg  

74 & 29 pilot
    Looks good! Are you running a 32 fork? My med weighs just shy of 2 lbs heavier with a 34 and 150mm dropper. The back tire looks backwards, but maybe it's one of those opposite rotation on the rear things. Just seems like it would brake better with the straight edge of the center knobs instead of the beveled edge.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The tire has arrow for the rear, so it is on correct. 32 Fox and all the Enve stuff is light. The seat weight 150g. The tire are not the best for summer so will go with Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue that was on the Demo bike. I love those tires. The bike in person is stunning!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    I don't have a 5.7 but came off a medium Mach4 before getting a small 429c. I am 5'9" on the nose, barefoot. I love the small but I am pretty sure I would have been good on the medium too. I rode both before I made decision and went with small cause it felt a bit whippier to me and I intended for it to be more trail bike and less XC race rig. I did feel like I lost some of the Mac Truck, bowl over anything in my way, feeling the medium gave me on the small but I got more of whippiness I was after.

BTW I have a Medium Les 29er that I love and in hardtail on a bike that is just designed to climb fast/race I think Medium is right call. Like someone on this thread said before, I think at 5'9" both both small and medium work great on 429c. It's just personal preference and what you are using bike for.
    Your explination was what i was trying to say. Mac Truck over all the roots and rocks I have to plow through. I do think I could have lost a little whippiness but sure made up in the sections that I was bogged down in the roots sections. What I do know for a fact is that I can get to point A to piont B much faster now.
    2014 Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can I dive into this rather than making a new thread, please?

I'm strongly thinking of selling my Yeti SB 95 in favor of a Mach 429 Carbon after getting a close look at a friend's new one recently (the fit and finish is really impressive, and after hearing their thoughts on it).

In general, why is Pivot's sizing recommendations so unusual? I'm 5'9" and usually sit right between a Medium or Large for most manufactures (for the Yeti I have, I'm supposed to be on a Medium, but I just prefer bigger-feeling bikes and went with a Large).

But according to Pivot's sizing chart, I'm on the LOW end of a Medium! I rode my friend's new Medium and it feels good, albeit small. Everything was setup pretty neutral and with a 70mm stem, but I will run a 50mm for handling.

Just wondering why their size spec is so different than most. I'll spend more time on my buddy's Medium before deciding, but I can't imagine someone nearing 6' riding a Medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The more you ride it the more you will buy it. The med. has 24 inch top tube, I'm 5'10 and my med. fits perfect!! Your right about the fit and finish, my green is so nice everyone loves it. The frame while not the lightest it is the stiffest of any 29er FS and it was designed that way. This bike I feel can take any where on East Coast and be happy knowing I have a Pivot Mach 429 C under me!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    The more you ride it the more you will buy it. The med. has 24 inch top tube, I'm 5'10 and my med. fits perfect!! Your right about the fit and finish, my green is so nice everyone loves it. The frame while not the lightest it is the stiffest of any 29er FS and it was designed that way. This bike I feel can take any where on East Coast and be happy knowing I have a Pivot Mach 429 C under me!!
    I haven't looked closely at their geometry yet to compare to my Yeti; I'm assuming just as you said, their TT length is long, etc.

I've gone through a major learning exercise lately and have witnessed what a stiff and light chassis does for you on the trail (a buddy recently bought an Epic and his times just totally dropped drastically, then he bought his wife this Pivot and she experienced the same - I don't care for the Epic, but the Mach 429 has always been on my radar).

With that said, what does your bike weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    25.4, but all expensive parts. I thought about the Epic and tested carbon Epic for 2 days, it was fast but more of XC race bike where the 429C can do it all. I have much more confidence on the Pivot.

mtbr member
    It's not that light. Mine fully built with XTR and the 120 fox on front is still in the 28 pound range. I just put carbon wheels on and non UST tires, but haven't weighed it since. Maybe 26-27 range, but probably a bit more.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon - Size question

Besides TT you also need to look at reach. A medium 429c has a slightly shorter reach than your yeti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    It's not that light. Mine fully built with XTR and the 120 fox on front is still in the 28 pound range. I just put carbon wheels on and non UST tires, but haven't weighed it since. Maybe 26-27 range, but probably a bit more.
    My friend's Medium is around 27 WITH a Reverb and really heavy platform pedals. I'll throw it on the scale myself to verify. If I'm going to bother with selling my Yeti and going with something else, I want it in the 26 pound range, max.

74 & 29 pilot
    Not sure why your worried about how 6' people are riding a medium, but if that is what you've been testing and you feel good on it, then maybe that is what you should go with. You could look for a demo and try both a large and a small for comparison. The frame is not the lightest in it's range, but the stiffness is well worth the weight and makes it possible to utilize it well beyond the XC duties.

My medium weighs 27lbs 10oz running 1x10, XTR, 775mm carbon bar, Roval control carbon whls(1560g), a dropper post and a Fox 34.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are you running Bontrager 29-3 Team Issue 29x2.30 tires, this tire was on the Demo bike and I loved them!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Not sure why your worried about how 6' people are riding a medium, but if that is what you've been testing and you feel good on it, then maybe that is what you should go with. You could look for a demo and try both a large and a small for comparison. The frame is not the lightest in it's range, but the stiffness is well worth the weight and makes it possible to utilize it well beyond the XC duties.

My medium weighs 27lbs 10oz running 1x10, XTR, 775mm carbon bar, Roval control carbon whls(1560g), a dropper post and a Fox 34.
    It's simple. If I am 5'9" and am at the low end of what Pivot suggests for a Medium (5'9" to 6'1"), yet the bike feels small to me, then maybe I am looking at bike setup all wrong. Like I said, I can't imagine someone 6' riding a Medium. I don't care if someone 6' rides one, but again, maybe my setup and style is not as it should be.

That's all.

I'll put my bars and stem on my friend's Medium sometime (they just bought it and might be selling it already - so I may buy that one).

Dual Squishy...
    So, I'm 5'8", 30" inseam w/o clothes/shoes and I ride a medium 5.7c. Currently a 90mm stem is on there, and plan to drop it to a 70mm stem. According to Pivot's site, a Medium is too big for me on the 5.7, but other than the slightly longer stem I have, it fits well.

Looking at the differences, not sure which direction to go in. Some measurements suggest the medium 429c like Seat Tube, and Wheel Base, while others suggest the small 429c like Top Tube, and Reach.

____________5.7c M ______429c M ______429c S
    Seat Tube......18.50..............18.50................ 17.00
    Top Tube.......23.20..............24.00............... .23.00
    Head Tube.......4.85................4.00............... ..4.00
    Head Angle.....67.10..............69.30................ 69.3
    Seat Angle......71.10..............71.90............... 71.90
    Chain Stay......16.85..............17.65...............1 7.65
    BB Height........13.72..............13.00............ ...13.00
    Stand Over......28.75..............29.60...............2 8.00
    Wheel Base......44.00..............44.17...............4 3.16
    Stack...............22.37..............23.96...... .........23.96
    Reach.............15.80..............16.27........ .......15.24

Wondering which measurements have a larger bearing on how if will fit, and how the bike will handle. Like it was said already, small will be more wippy, medium more trucking over stuff, but when we're talking fractions of an inch, what stands out more?
    Last edited by Jeepnut22; 07-21-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Correction...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't let the Pivot recommendiations scare you the medium feels like a medium. I was lucky enough to demo one for a few weeks.
    2014 Pivot 429c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2