mtbr member

Pivot Mach 429 (30K tuneup)

So my 2010 Mach 429 is in need of some maintenance...

1. Rear Shock rebuild
    2. New bottom bracket
    3. Pivot Bearings inspection/tightening.

I imagine many Pivot owners have already tackled these bigger fixes and I am looking for advice and lessons learned. Specifically,

1. Is there any advantage by having PUSH Industry rebuild the Fox RP23 w boost valve over the local bike shop/Fox direct?
    2. I have checked the Pivot FAQ/maintenance section of their website and couldnt find any suggestions on when to maintain/replace the Pivot Bearings. Any idea? AFter 3 years (almost) do I have my local bike shop simply tighten the pivot bolts or should they disassemble and clean the pivot bearings? Or flat out replace?

I am clueless.... my local Pivot dealer is too.... that is my problem.

NMBP
    If you don't get an answer, might want to just contact Pivot directly, they are pretty helpful. I talked to them regarding a shock issue. I am surprised that your shop didn't get a hold of them in the first place.

MTB B'dos
    OK, maybe it's just my make up, but can't imagine not doing my own bike work now after riding MTBs for 8 years, everything, once you're not an absolute hack and have some patience is actually relatively easy to fix/work on. If your local shop doesn't have a clue, they won't have a clue next week or next month, no so more than you if you download any service instruction and go over them carefully.

As to actual maintenance needing doing...if the frame is properly built and aligned (a lot aren't) and you've not been riding in the wet a lot, then chances are the bearings are just fine, but since I like to tinker I'd personally at least strip the bike down and remove all the bolts/hardware and pop the dust caps/seals to see how they looked. FYI, you should be able to feel if anything needs changing/work just by removing shock hardware and cycling the suspension.

As to the shock, not sure why you think it needs a rebuild, might need a service and some seals (again dead easy), if it needs more Fox or PUSH are the 2 options going by your description of your local shop.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You can YouTube the shock rebuild, there are lots of videos out there. It's pretty easy and parts are cheap. The bearing sizes are on Pivots website and you can order from Real World Cycling in Tucson and get the right bearings. Instructions are on Pivots website with photos. Follow along and it'll take about an hour. The BB is another story because you'll need a bottom bracket driver to get the old one out and a press to fit the new one. With the right tools it takes about 15 min to complete. All in all you're only talking about 2 hours or so of work.

mtbr member
    THank you for hte feedback... Does anybody know if Pivot has recommendations on the frequency of replacing the bearings? I figure the frequency is location-specific that is dependent on water and mud...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I don't know if there are recommendations about the bearing change. What I do is remove and re-grease the linkage every so often and check the bearings for nice smooth action, if they get crunchy then get some new ones. If I'm riding 3-4 time a week I do this monthly and check the torque on the bolts. If I recall correctly they run at 27 ftlbs. Allowing the torque on the linkage bolts to slack is probably the #1 killer of these bearings and water #2. Last time I did them I bought directly from Enduro and went a service level up with seals, they lasted a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob View Post
    I don't know if there are recommendations about the bearing change. What I do is remove and re-grease the linkage every so often and check the bearings for nice smooth action, if they get crunchy then get some new ones. If I'm riding 3-4 time a week I do this monthly and check the torque on the bolts. If I recall correctly they run at 27 ftlbs. Allowing the torque on the linkage bolts to slack is probably the #1 killer of these bearings and water #2. Last time I did them I bought directly from Enduro and went a service level up with seals, they lasted a lot longer.
    Super insightful response... thanks for sharing your wisdom!