Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bad Zen Master

Pivot Mach 429 : 100mm fork vs. 120mm fork

I'm about to buy a fork for a Pivot M 429 build. I like the new Fox that runs at 120mm and drops down to 95mm for climbing. I've also read that some people that have ridden the bike with the 100mm fork, might like to try a 120.

I'd like to hear from people that have ridden the bike (at least the same sized frame) with both the 100 and a 120 travel.

What did you think? Climbing, flat and rolling, and descending. How did it change the way the bike felt?

Bad Zen Master
    Well well well...

It may very well be written somewhere but if so I haven't seen it or noted anyone talking about it...

All 2011 Pivot Mach 429s are coming with 120mm forks rather than 100mm as in previous years.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike_deta...s_mach_429.php

Well rats, I was going to build my bike up a bit different from all the factory Pivot 429s, except now it turns out that my build is going to look pretty much just like the 2011s.

I guess I shouldn't be worrying about whether or not getting that 120 is a good idea.
    Last edited by Miles2go; 10-26-2010 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    140mm Lefty, converted to 110mm for a 29er. Lockout for climbing.

Oh, your link doesn't work... here or in the 29er forum.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Bad Zen Master

Two photos of the 2011 429 hiding behind two photos of the 2010s on the bike's page.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike_detail.php?id=4

Bad Zen Master
    Last edited by Miles2go; 10-26-2010 at 07:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a 2010 with the new Fox Talas 95/120. I find myself riding the bike in the 95 setting the most. I feel the 120 raises the front end too much and slows the steering. Then again, I ride XC most of the time.

Bad Zen Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    I have a 2010 with the new Fox Talas 95/120. I find myself riding the bike in the 95 setting the most. I feel the 120 raises the front end too much and slows the steering. Then again, I ride XC most of the time.
    Thanks for the feedback. What size is your 429 and do you think the Talas works well in the 95mm drop down setting?

I ride both up and down some pretty steep terrain so in theory this fork should serve me well.

mtbr member
    2009 Large Pivot429 here, XC riding. Ridden it with a 100mm fork (WB Magic29), 130mm fork (WB Fluid130) and 110mm fork (WB Fluid 130 with a 20mm spacer). The 100mm fork always felt too low for me with too much weight pitched over the front end. Moved to the 130mm fork and it felt a bit too high on the climbs. Put a spacer in the 130mm to reduce it to 110mm, flipped the stem, and it feels absolutely perfect now.

BTW, the WB Fluid matches the rear suspension much better than their Magic line.
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I purchased my 429 with a FOX 120. I dropped it to 100 and I was shocked at how MUCH it changed the character of the bike. The front end tracks much better. At 120 the front end pushed out on the corners. I also feel the bike is better balanced at 100. At 120 the front end was spongy compared to the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just swapped my headset to a XX44 which brought the front end up ever so slightly and I'm running a F29 FIT/Terralogic at a 100mm of travel. I like the difference, just slowed the steering down a touch. Railing thru turns and killing climbs (standing up on the short ones). Perfect ride for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Mach 429 : 100mm fork vs. 120mm fork-rig.jpg  

RIDE ON,
    Scotto

not so super...
    I normally ride a 29'r with a 120mm fork which I really like. When I rode the 429 with the 95/120 Talas I thought the 120mm setting really compromised the handling of the 429 in all but the very steepest of descents.
    Nothing to see here.

Rider and Wrench
    I have only run a 120mm Fox on my Medium 429 so I concede that my input is biased- I had originally planned on giving the Fork a try at 100mm but l am very happy with how the bike handles as is and have had no ill effects with the front end pushing through turns or slow steering as some have mentioned when running it with a 120mm fork. I think some of what is mentioned could be rider preference, but most likely it has more to do with overall weight distribution than simply fork travel. Rider weight, body type, frame size, stem length/rise, bar width, fork set-up etc... all play a part in how the bike feels to a particular rider. I ride mostly XC with lots of abrupt climbs etc.. my trails don't include major drops, gnar or gravity biased descents where one might think the 120mm fork would be more at home- no wandering up climbs etc... I like the stable feel and bit of extra BB clearance the bike has- but I guess I need to dial the travel down to 100mm to see for my self.

Overall I think that a Fox fork is a great match for the rear suspension and a Talas would be ideal.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    @knottshore: I agree with your post about setup.

The first thing I did when I received a 429 demo bike is establish the saddle height I needed, and then lowered the bars to where I normally would want them while in the 120 mm setting (I had to take all of the spacers that were below the stem and put them above the stem).

I thought the 429's handing and weight distribution was excellent in the very abrupt steep ups/downs, and also for all-around carving for me with my setup. It absolutely killed my local technical and steep climbs.

This was on a large 429, with the stock bar/stem combo.

I also tried the 95 mm setting on a couple of very steep climbs and though perhaps not required with the nice anti-squat climbing characteristics, that setting moved the bars a little lower for even more comfort in motoring up the steeps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am building mine with a fox talas fork and a cane Creek zs 110 headset. I am thinking of riding it in the 120mm setting. I get the shits that fox made the talas with a 95mm setting. Why not 100mm? Is this not by far the setting most people would like?

I hoping to ride it soon to find out by myself what works for me.

Cheers.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I have used a Reba at both 100mm and 120mm settings. Of course, when set at 100mm, the 429 felt like a lazer, but the rear seemed too much for the front. At 120mm the bike still feels very XC but I had to drop the bars to gain that sensation. I agree with knottshore in that other factors come into play regarding bike set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    I just swapped my headset to a XX44 which brought the front end up ever so slightly and I'm running a F29 FIT/Terralogic at a 100mm of travel. I like the difference, just slowed the steering down a touch. Railing thru turns and killing climbs (standing up on the short ones). Perfect ride for me.
    I can't see to find the ZS44 anywhere. Where did you buy it/
    08 Trance X
    09 Cannondale Caad 9-5
    10 Glory

I'm Slow
    you have to call cane creek. its a ZS3 Top, and a XX-44 Bottom. Just tell them you want a xx-44 bottom. Mine came out to $96 with shipping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In light of the 120mm fork spec has Pivot changed the geometry to accomidate the the new fork size? Rear travel?

mtbr member
    It's the same frame as the '10s.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Wow.. I am surpised by the results of this thread... A higher percentage of riders prefer the 100 over the 120... Makes me wonder why PIVOT would convert to the 120 as stock fork unless this thread is BIASED.. I did not check where the 100 crowd rides but suspect it could come into play when deciding between a 100 and 120............ I ride a 100 on my L 429 and definately wish I have more travel in the front, of course, without compromising the geometry and ride characteristics... I am in the market for a new hard tail and was planning on swapping forks so I can get a 120 on the Mach 429.. No way does the Fox give you 100 actual mm.. its more likely 90 max.. IMHO, that is jsut not adequate for rocky technical trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw
    Wow.. I am surpised by the results of this thread... A higher percentage of riders prefer the 100 over the 120... Makes me wonder why PIVOT would convert to the 120 as stock fork unless this thread is BIASED.. I did not check where the 100 crowd rides but suspect it could come into play when deciding between a 100 and 120............ I ride a 100 on my L 429 and definately wish I have more travel in the front, of course, without compromising the geometry and ride characteristics... I am in the market for a new hard tail and was planning on swapping forks so I can get a 120 on the Mach 429.. No way does the Fox give you 100 actual mm.. its more likely 90 max.. IMHO, that is jsut not adequate for rocky technical trails
    Oh, I don't know... guys who ride rigid would probably vehemently disagree with you on that one!

Personally, I've ridden rocky tech trails on 80, 100 and 120. 120 is obviously more comfortable, but any of them are "adequate" by my (admittedly unrefined) standards and ability.

That said, I'm very comfortable with the 100 on my 429. If I get enough pennies saved up for a Lefty, I'll go up 10 rather than down, for 110. I don't think that'll make that much difference in handling, though.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Fat & Single
    Im 100mm on my 429 and i ride the same trails on my fully rigid SS. While my regular trails are not the most rocky, i ride the same bike when i do go places that are rough . BTW i used to ride a 170mm Nicolai on the same trails and i can tell you that unless you are hitting rough trails with speed it doesnt really matter, also how many travel greedy people dont even go full travel at least once every ride. My 429 is dialled in perfectly and i can decend faster than many on way bigger travel bikes.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a 2010 XL Mach429 with the Fox TALAS. I thought I would be adjusting the travel based on the trail I was riding, but I don't. I love the way the bike handles in the 120 setting. I tried the 90 setting for a little while but liked the 120 better. If I had it to do over again I would get a 125mm fork instead of the TALAS. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Last weekend i rode my new mach 429 with a fox talas in the 120 mm setting. I never switch the lever and i was wondering why i needed the 95 mm setting. I ride it with a zero stack headset. The bike felt fast and good balanced even on typical xc trails. So for more demanding courses it would only be better.

Just my 2 cents. Of course more testing to come. But for now i leave it in the 120 mm mode.

I am about 200 pounds and the 120psi were to much in the back. The bike felt sometimes a little harsh. SAG was about 1.4 cm
    For the next ride i will lower it to 105 psi and see what happens.

Cheers.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66
    I am about 200 pounds and the 120psi were to much in the back. The bike felt sometimes a little harsh. SAG was about 1.4 cm
    For the next ride i will lower it to 105 psi and see what happens.

Cheers.
    Try making 5 psi changes to your shock pressure. 15 psi is a very large change. Check out the suspension set up guide on the website for more tuning tips.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast