mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Pivot Mach 427 - Mach 4 conversion

Thought I'd post up pics for my recent Mach 4 conversion to 650b.

Pivot Mach 427 - Mach 4 conversion-161j.jpg

See more pics here

Setup: Front wheel is Maxxis Ardent on Hope Pro 2 Evo with Stan's Flow EX 650b; Rear wheel is IRD FireXC Pro on Hope Pro 2 Evo with Stan's Flow EX 650b.

I built the wheelset myself -- first time giving that a go. Was pretty straight forward, just took some time.

There is about 5mm of clearance on the front and nearly the same on the rear (maybe a little less). The rear does not rub when fully compressed (all air removed from rear shock), so no need for spacers!

Will post more once Ive had a chance to ride it this weekend.
    Last edited by kleinhead; 02-21-2013 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    interesting. Can you compare BB height w/wo 650B ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snoroqc View Post
    interesting. Can you compare BB height w/wo 650B ?
    new BB height is 13.6"

according to the Pivot site, the original should be about 12.8"

so not quite an inch increase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinhead View Post
    There is about 5mm of clearance on the front and nearly the same on the rear (maybe a little less). The rear does not rub when fully compressed (all air removed from rear shock), so no need for spacers!
    How far is the tire from the frame when fully compressed? Just remember that shock has a bottom out bumper.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Took the Pivot out today for the first ride since the wheel swap. I know that there are two camps when it comes to 650b (those that swear by it and those that are disbelievers). I have to say that I could definitely tell that the bike rolled faster and better over some of the chop. It felt more like my rigid 29er but way smoother of course.

I have to give props to the Ardent tire as well because it cornered very well. The trails were muddy (peanut butter-ish) here but I always felt in control - no sliding or squirmy-ness. My friend was running RR 29ers and he was slip sliding his way through the ride.

Need to ride it some more on a variety of the trails here, but overall I'm very happy with the change so far.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    needs pic(s) for tire clearance, particularly since the latest threads about clearance in this forum are hot-n-heavy. not trolling, but comparing to a random 29'er isn't fair. could be bad size fit for your pal. could be lame tires. could be he was riding a dh bike on single track or other way around. need the details. just sayin'.
    what year is your M4? I could look you up, but I'm lazy.
    I'm curious because my next bike will roll 650b whether it's off the rack or converted. wondering if an M4 or M4c would be a good convert. looking forward to more info. glad you're enjoying your build!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_rex View Post
    needs pic(s) for tire clearance, particularly since the latest threads about clearance in this forum are hot-n-heavy. not trolling, but comparing to a random 29'er isn't fair. could be bad size fit for your pal. could be lame tires. could be he was riding a dh bike on single track or other way around. need the details. just sayin'.
    what year is your M4? I could look you up, but I'm lazy.
    I'm curious because my next bike will roll 650b whether it's off the rack or converted. wondering if an M4 or M4c would be a good convert. looking forward to more info. glad you're enjoying your build!
    My M4 is a 2009 size small. There's a link to flickr pics at top of the thread showing clearance. I have about 5mm or slightly less in the rear with IRD Fire XC pro mounted to Stan's Flow EX. Rear does not rub seat tube when shock is fully compressed.

My comments about my friend's 29er were related to the Ardent tire I'm using on the front (not about the 650b conversion). For the record he has a Niner Sir 9, size medium with Schwalbe RRs front and rear.

Hope this helps.

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    cool... thx for the followup klienhead. /thumbsup

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Feedback on the 650b conversion

Thought that I'd follow-up since my post back in Feb...

I've got six months on the bike since the conversion and my experience has been all positive. You can definitely feel a difference compared to 26". The bike rolls faster as compared to its 26" form but corners just as well. The rollover in rocky East Coast chunk is better but not as good as my 29er. Before the conversion I had pretty much stopped riding my Pivot in favor of my 29er. Now it's the other way around -- I prefer my Pivot nearly 100% of the time.

P.S. Anyone looking for a 29er SS?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've got a large 2012 Mach 4 and just tossed in a 650b Nevegal 2.1 to check clearance. It JUST cleared the seat stay brace. Literally less than 1mm clearance, but it did roll without rubbing.

Didn't try taking air out of the shock to see what the seat tube/derailleur clearance was like.

Not sure if the seat stay brace is in a slightly different position or if the Nevegal is just that much taller than the Fire XC. Any chance you've got a measurement of the Fire XC diameter?

try driving your car less
    any update on converting a 2012 pivot mach 4 to 650b?

Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    I've got a large 2012 Mach 4 and just tossed in a 650b Nevegal 2.1 to check clearance. It JUST cleared the seat stay brace. Literally less than 1mm clearance, but it did roll without rubbing.

Didn't try taking air out of the shock to see what the seat tube/derailleur clearance was like.

Not sure if the seat stay brace is in a slightly different position or if the Nevegal is just that much taller than the Fire XC. Any chance you've got a measurement of the Fire XC diameter?
    Only boring people get bored.