mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Pivot Mach 4 or Trek Top Fuel or ??

I recently received a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 frame as a warranty for an older Trek bike. I don't race, but I would like something a little more responsive as a secondary/back up to my '08 Ibis Mojo. Normally I'd be thrilled to simply build up the Top Fuel as a light trail bike and count my lucky stars, but I can't seem to quit looking at the Mach 4's and wondering how much better my life would be if I had one in my garage. I'd love to hear anyone's input into one over the other (or another bike all together) in terms of durability (Trek has a life-time warranty), over-all ride quality, etc. Thanks!

mtbr member
    As a previous Mach 4 owner I would probably just stick with the Top Fuel. I was impressed with the stiffness of the Pivot but the 26" wheels just felt "blah" after riding 29ers for the last couple of years. If I were in your shoes I would be more inclined to build up a Mach 429. A 429 will be a lot different than your Ibis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I would agree that you would probably be well served to keep it. It might be worth selling and buying a hardtail if you want something completely different than the Ibis.

That said, I am awaiting delivery of a new Mach 4. If by "blah" Flat Ark meant "snappier and faster" I completely agree. That's a whole nother argument though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcamper
    That said, I am awaiting delivery of a new Mach 4. If by "blah" Flat Ark meant "snappier and faster" I completely agree. That's a whole nother argument though.
    By "blah" I meant when switching back and forth between the Mach 4 and a couple of different "much less expensive" 29ers I felt like a complete fool for spending as much as I did on the Mach 4 when the 29ers felt as though they rolled soooo much more effortlessly down the trail. The guys on the 29ers that I swapped with seemed as though they were biting their tongues to keep from telling me as much after riding my Mach 4. The sad part is that I have done this same exact thing before with a different 26" FS so I should have known better. It's just been my experience that, on our trails at least, it just takes more effort to maintain a given pace on a 26" wheeled bike. So for me I guess, snappier = "maybe", faster = "definitely not".

That's not meant to be a knock on the bike because it is a great bike for what it is but in my experience I just found it to be inferior to it's bigger wheeled brother.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've had several people suggest a 29er and I plan to explore that option when the snow clears this spring. Although I've never ridden a 29er, I'm resistent to the idea for two reasons. 1) Seems like it would fill a similar niche to my Mojo. My buddy bought a Niner RIP and his Blur LT hasn't seen the light of day since. 2) I absolutely love my Mojo, but I do miss the responsive handling/climbing ability of my old Fuel 98 and my Trek hard tail before that. A test ride should tell me if a 29er is right for me. Anyway, thanks again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    any other thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I demoed a Trek Top Fuel 9.9ssl and a Superfly (29er w/ 100 mm travel). Both bikes were awesome, but I liked the snappy handling of the Top Fuel. I made a feable effort to sell the Top Fuel, and when I didn't get any serious takers, I built it up with mostly XT level parts. It is a great bike that I've put a lot of fun miles on, but I sure prefer the Mojo for anything other than non-technical terrain. I've found that I can climb technical terrain better on the Mojo and obviously the Mojo is much better for the down. I think the Top Fuel is a little faster, but I don't know how much. I still have a hard time keeping up with my buddies on their Mojos when I'm on the Top Fuel. I bought my wife a Mach 4 and I like how it feels similar to my Mojo with the DW link, but I like the carbon feel/weight of the Top Fuel better. Anyway, I don't want to talk down the Top Fuel, because it is a great bike. Had I not been on a Mojo for the past few years, I wouldn't be able to quit raving about how great the Top Fuel is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm going to be racing next year, so I figure that I may as well stick with the shorter travel race bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You'll have to demo the M4 if you get the chance. I think it is 3/4 of a lb or something heavier than the TF, but it certainly feels more solid. If I were to have a xc race bike that was also my everyday ride, the M4 would definitely be at the top of my list.