mtbr member

New question here. Pivot Mach 4 frame/dropout stripped @ hanger bolt - 2010

Howdy all,

Writing about my 2010 Mach 4.

Upon removing the rear wheel today, I found that the threads in the frame which secure the hanger bolt to the frame are stripped!

The 10x135 I-9 bolt-thru axle holds it all in place - probably has been for a while - but obviously I want to fix this.

On my '05 SuperMoto and '07 El Guapo, as well as my wife's '05 MotoLite, the hanger bolt is attached via the typical male/female chainring bolts.

I'm thinking I may just ream the threaded hole in the frame/dropout from its current 8.5mm to 10mm and slide a female chainring fitting in from behind (keep it clean, fellas), thus creating the exact same setup used by Titus.

Any comments? Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 10-30-2013 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I would use a threaded insert (helicoil, E-z Lok, etc). Of course you will need to drill and tap for the insert. If you do use a helicoil make sure you use thread locking (loctite, etc) some of the other threaded inserts already have locking material from the factory.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply Mtn_Ma. I appreciate the idea - it's got me thinking.

The dropout is only about 3.5mm thick, though. I don't feel an insert is practical here.

The mounting surface is so thin that the pitch of the coil is going to have to be super-fine to get any threads seated in there. This seems like a very fragile solution - likely to fail again in the future. Plus the availability/cost of a super-fine pitched tap and coil, and the headache of mounting it perfectly square...

To make it just like my 3 Titus will require removing only 1.5mm of material from the hanger and dropout hole. The female chainring bolt almost fits inside as is...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Man View Post
    I would use a threaded insert (helicoil, E-z Lok, etc). Of course you will need to drill and tap for the insert. If you do use a helicoil make sure you use thread locking (loctite, etc) some of the other threaded inserts already have locking material from the factory.
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 10-30-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spellin