Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Pivot LES - Reviews?

Has anyone been able to throw a leg over the New Pivot Les yet? Curious to see how this stacks up against other Carbon Hardtail 29ers out there - especially in the S.S. configuration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Do not believe it's part of the Demo because it's months away from production.

Pivotal figure
    We actually have 2 demo bikes built up and they saw plenty of riding at Dealer camp and Interbike....The demos are geared versions though...I took the Orange bike out for a short ride before Outdoor Demo and it was a lot of fun. Light, stiff and crazy fast. I'm not really a 29er guy but this one jumped nice and I even managed to get the manual down pretty nicely after learning the balance point. I kinda want one now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-les1.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-les2.jpg  

Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That was the first bike I asked for at the local demo a few months ago. I had "to settle" for riding the insanely awesome 429c.

mtbr member
    I'm in the market to build up one of the superlight hardtail offering for some racing this year. I went to Outerbike in Moab this past weekend. I rode both the new Pivot Les and the Rocky Mountain Vertex. Both felt great! Incredibly nimble despite their fairly slack head head angles. Must be the super short (17") chainstays keeping the wheelbase short. Now Moab slickrock is not the ideal world for a hardtail in my personal opinion. I was much more comfortable out there on the full squish but the two hardtails handled it well and were a lot of fun because you could really throw them around. Super easy to manual over cracks/lips/ledges/etc. In this case I think the shallower head angles helped keep the steep techy descents from being too sketchy but didn't negatively effect the climbing. I rode both on a techy loop I was using to test full squish 650b bikes as well because I was looking for a buddy I got separated from. The bikes handled everything great for a hardtail. I personally will be building up the Pivot because I like the optional singlespeed dropout option and I live in AZ where Pivot is based. The reason I favored the Pivot and Rocky Mountain is because they both run 142x12 rear axles and my full squish race bike runs the same so I already of wheels for this bike. I do like the extra stiffness on a 29er as well.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    We actually have 2 demo bikes built up and they saw plenty of riding at Dealer camp and Interbike....The demos are geared versions though...I took the Orange bike out for a short ride before Outdoor Demo and it was a lot of fun. Light, stiff and crazy fast. I'm not really a 29er guy but this one jumped nice and I even managed to get the manual down pretty nicely after learning the balance point. I kinda want one now
    don't worry, there is no shame in wanting or even owning a hard tail 29er... on the other hand, if you find yourself gravitating towards spandex and campy components, then maybe it's gone too far ...

i need to develop my crashing skills...

RIDE TO LIVE
    Bump....anyone seen any press on the Les lately? This is on my shortlist of bikes and was hoping to see some recent reviews.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Just ordered a Les today, should be in around the end of the month. Went with the neutral carbon with red. I liked the orange too but thought it was a little too bold a statement. Got the SS dropouts too. If it rides like I'm expecting, my Superfly SS might be moving on. Can't wait to build it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Whom did you order it from that said they would have it in at the end of the month? I went to the demo at Mcd this past weekend and they did no't have a large for me to try out.

RIDE TO LIVE
    I ordered it thru Blackstone Cycles in Cumberland RI. They are a new dealer to the area.

I would check directly with Pivot, their customer service is top notch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are in the SF Bay Area, Tread bike shop had 1 or 2 LES built up on the floor for sale.
    They are in Campbell, CA.

dew

RIDE TO LIVE
    Just found out I got the last one in stock and it will be another 1-2 months for the next shipment. I guess the Les is in high demand right now.

Pivotal figure
    Boxed up that frame today!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Boxed up that frame today!
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to building it up, now we just need the snow to melt around here. Its been real slow going on the trails around here but its a great workout. Who needs fatbikes!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not a Pivot LES but I'm anxiously awaiting my BH Ultimate 29er frame. Looking forward to a change of pace from years of Trek. By the way the Orange looks wicked cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What size is that frame in the picture??
    I'm going back and forth between the Rocky Mtn.Vertex carbon and a LES for a SS build-up.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Just picked up my frame from the shop. The fit and finish is impressive. I like the attention to detail with the SS kit. Very well thought out. I'll post some pics after i finish building it up.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Waiting for the fork to return from Push. This frame is light as a feather. Don't worry about the clamp, its only holding the frame, no clamping force applied. I'll post some pics once she is built up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-pivot.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    size and weight please and wow she's a beaut!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When did you put your order in to get your frame and with whom?

RIDE TO LIVE
    Ordered the Les in early Jan, I got lucky when a preorder backed out and I was next in line. Ordered it thru Blackstone Cycle in Cumberland, RI.

I'll post weights and pics once the correct fork arrives. I built it up tonite using an old Fox RL fork from my GF Rig and the weight was 19 lbs 5 oz with the SS kit. Its got my heavy wheelset on too (DT 240's and Arch EX's). My race wheelset is 240's with Crest's and lighter spokes. think I should be able to get it in the 19lb range as a SS and maybe sub 21 lb as a 1 x 10.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    can you share what the frame only weight came in at? size?

RIDE TO LIVE
    The frame was exactly 3lbs with the headset, BB, seatpost clamp and SS kit including dropouts mounted. Size small. See Pivot Les post in 29er bikes for more details and pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for sharing man! 3lbs w/ BB & HS and dropouts installed is ww's dream. I'm looking forward to see her built up & read your ride impressions... the Les is on the top of my wish list for 2013.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Here are some pics and 1st ride impression. Its real cold and snowy right now in Mass so I decided to give my knees a break and set the bike up geared last night. It weighs out at 21.5 lbs with my winter rims and tires and 1x9 setup. Having been on a Superfly SS for the past 3 years, I was excited when I first read about the Les because it's geometry matches the Superfly with the notable difference of shorter chainstays and a longer toptube. Let me start by saying that Pivot has absolutely nailed the geometry on the Les. The bike feels more trail bike up front and more race bike out back. Acceleration is impressive, it feels like the bike gets up to speed a bit quicker than my 'fly. Whats interesting is even though the wheelbase is shorter, it rails turns with more authority. Ride quality is very refined, stiff in the BB and headube area but the rear chainstays are tuned to level the chatter in the trail. You stay more connected to the trail on the Les, my 'fly was stiff but a bit harsher out back. BTW, the Syntace P6 Hiflex post is a work of art and helps dampen the ride to a very comfortable level for a hardtail. Its only one ride but it took me a couple of miles to find my groove on this bike and by the 10 mile mark it felt just like home, I believe this is a true sign of a dialed bike. Very little was needed to tweak the cockpit in. I can't wait for the weather to improve so i can turn it loose as a SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-pivot1.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-pivot5.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-pivot6.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-pivot4.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-pivot-8.jpg  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast