Pivot LES - Reviews?

Printable View

  • 10-04-2012
    blum585
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    Has anyone been able to throw a leg over the New Pivot Les yet? Curious to see how this stacks up against other Carbon Hardtail 29ers out there - especially in the S.S. configuration.
  • 10-08-2012
    westin
    Do not believe it's part of the Demo because it's months away from production.
  • 10-08-2012
    kenbentit
    2 Attachment(s)
    We actually have 2 demo bikes built up and they saw plenty of riding at Dealer camp and Interbike....The demos are geared versions though...I took the Orange bike out for a short ride before Outdoor Demo and it was a lot of fun. Light, stiff and crazy fast. I'm not really a 29er guy but this one jumped nice and I even managed to get the manual down pretty nicely after learning the balance point. I kinda want one now :o
  • 10-09-2012
    westin
    That was the first bike I asked for at the local demo a few months ago. I had "to settle" for riding the insanely awesome 429c.
  • 10-13-2012
    rehammer81
    I'm in the market to build up one of the superlight hardtail offering for some racing this year. I went to Outerbike in Moab this past weekend. I rode both the new Pivot Les and the Rocky Mountain Vertex. Both felt great! Incredibly nimble despite their fairly slack head head angles. Must be the super short (17") chainstays keeping the wheelbase short. Now Moab slickrock is not the ideal world for a hardtail in my personal opinion. I was much more comfortable out there on the full squish but the two hardtails handled it well and were a lot of fun because you could really throw them around. Super easy to manual over cracks/lips/ledges/etc. In this case I think the shallower head angles helped keep the steep techy descents from being too sketchy but didn't negatively effect the climbing. I rode both on a techy loop I was using to test full squish 650b bikes as well because I was looking for a buddy I got separated from. The bikes handled everything great for a hardtail. I personally will be building up the Pivot because I like the optional singlespeed dropout option and I live in AZ where Pivot is based. The reason I favored the Pivot and Rocky Mountain is because they both run 142x12 rear axles and my full squish race bike runs the same so I already of wheels for this bike. I do like the extra stiffness on a 29er as well.
  • 10-13-2012
    dog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    We actually have 2 demo bikes built up and they saw plenty of riding at Dealer camp and Interbike....The demos are geared versions though...I took the Orange bike out for a short ride before Outdoor Demo and it was a lot of fun. Light, stiff and crazy fast. I'm not really a 29er guy but this one jumped nice and I even managed to get the manual down pretty nicely after learning the balance point. I kinda want one now :o

    don't worry, there is no shame in wanting or even owning a hard tail 29er... on the other hand, if you find yourself gravitating towards spandex and campy components, then maybe it's gone too far :skep:...

    :D
  • 12-06-2012
    LIV2RYD
    Bump....anyone seen any press on the Les lately? This is on my shortlist of bikes and was hoping to see some recent reviews.
  • 01-09-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Just ordered a Les today, should be in around the end of the month. Went with the neutral carbon with red. I liked the orange too but thought it was a little too bold a statement. Got the SS dropouts too. If it rides like I'm expecting, my Superfly SS might be moving on. Can't wait to build it up.
  • 01-10-2013
    seandm
    Whom did you order it from that said they would have it in at the end of the month? I went to the demo at Mcd this past weekend and they did no't have a large for me to try out.
  • 01-10-2013
    LIV2RYD
    I ordered it thru Blackstone Cycles in Cumberland RI. They are a new dealer to the area.

    I would check directly with Pivot, their customer service is top notch.
  • 01-10-2013
    MTN DEW
    If you are in the SF Bay Area, Tread bike shop had 1 or 2 LES built up on the floor for sale.
    They are in Campbell, CA.

    dew
  • 01-10-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Just found out I got the last one in stock and it will be another 1-2 months for the next shipment. I guess the Les is in high demand right now.
  • 01-10-2013
    kenbentit
    Boxed up that frame today! :)
  • 01-11-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Boxed up that frame today! :)

    Awesome! I'm looking forward to building it up, now we just need the snow to melt around here. Its been real slow going on the trails around here but its a great workout. Who needs fatbikes!
  • 01-15-2013
    jc280
    Not a Pivot LES but I'm anxiously awaiting my BH Ultimate 29er frame. Looking forward to a change of pace from years of Trek. By the way the Orange looks wicked cool.
  • 01-19-2013
    rideeatrepeat
    What size is that frame in the picture??
    I'm going back and forth between the Rocky Mtn.Vertex carbon and a LES for a SS build-up.
  • 01-19-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Just picked up my frame from the shop. The fit and finish is impressive. I like the attention to detail with the SS kit. Very well thought out. I'll post some pics after i finish building it up.
  • 01-23-2013
    LIV2RYD
    1 Attachment(s)
    Waiting for the fork to return from Push. This frame is light as a feather. Don't worry about the clamp, its only holding the frame, no clamping force applied. I'll post some pics once she is built up.
  • 01-23-2013
    chestercospinner
    size and weight please and wow she's a beaut!
  • 01-23-2013
    seandm
    When did you put your order in to get your frame and with whom?
  • 01-23-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Ordered the Les in early Jan, I got lucky when a preorder backed out and I was next in line. Ordered it thru Blackstone Cycle in Cumberland, RI.

    I'll post weights and pics once the correct fork arrives. I built it up tonite using an old Fox RL fork from my GF Rig and the weight was 19 lbs 5 oz with the SS kit. Its got my heavy wheelset on too (DT 240's and Arch EX's). My race wheelset is 240's with Crest's and lighter spokes. think I should be able to get it in the 19lb range as a SS and maybe sub 21 lb as a 1 x 10.
  • 01-24-2013
    chestercospinner
    can you share what the frame only weight came in at? size?
  • 01-25-2013
    LIV2RYD
    The frame was exactly 3lbs with the headset, BB, seatpost clamp and SS kit including dropouts mounted. Size small. See Pivot Les post in 29er bikes for more details and pics.
  • 01-26-2013
    chestercospinner
    thanks for sharing man! 3lbs w/ BB & HS and dropouts installed is ww's dream. I'm looking forward to see her built up & read your ride impressions... the Les is on the top of my wish list for 2013. :D
  • 01-26-2013
    LIV2RYD
    5 Attachment(s)
    Here are some pics and 1st ride impression. Its real cold and snowy right now in Mass so I decided to give my knees a break and set the bike up geared last night. It weighs out at 21.5 lbs with my winter rims and tires and 1x9 setup. Having been on a Superfly SS for the past 3 years, I was excited when I first read about the Les because it's geometry matches the Superfly with the notable difference of shorter chainstays and a longer toptube. Let me start by saying that Pivot has absolutely nailed the geometry on the Les. The bike feels more trail bike up front and more race bike out back. Acceleration is impressive, it feels like the bike gets up to speed a bit quicker than my 'fly. Whats interesting is even though the wheelbase is shorter, it rails turns with more authority. Ride quality is very refined, stiff in the BB and headube area but the rear chainstays are tuned to level the chatter in the trail. You stay more connected to the trail on the Les, my 'fly was stiff but a bit harsher out back. BTW, the Syntace P6 Hiflex post is a work of art and helps dampen the ride to a very comfortable level for a hardtail. Its only one ride but it took me a couple of miles to find my groove on this bike and by the 10 mile mark it felt just like home, I believe this is a true sign of a dialed bike. Very little was needed to tweak the cockpit in. I can't wait for the weather to improve so i can turn it loose as a SS.
  • 01-26-2013
    seandm
    To think i had already convinced myself i really didn't need another bike after i was able to get through xmas without purchasing one. I think you now have me leaning back towards getting another bike and preferably the LES, which was my original intention if i was able to locate one in one of the LBS over the holidays.
  • 01-27-2013
    chestercospinner
    well done liv2ryd, thanks for the write up. sounds like we share the same interests in ride quality and expectations from our SSs. I'm pondering selling off the ridgeline and moving everything over to a Les by early summer. enjoy
  • 01-28-2013
    deeppow
    Purchased a Pivot Les with the XT/XTR build, converted to SS. I am using the geared parts to update another bike. The SS build is XT brakes and crankset, Stan's Crest wheels (tubeless) and Eggbeater 3s and the FSA bars, stem and post that came with the build. Bike came in at 20.04 lbs. It can easily get a pound lighter. Love the dropout adjustments and the CTD Fox fork. Only one ride to date, so it will be a few before I can comment on the ride. The first one felt pretty nice.
  • 02-23-2013
    Chris(NJ)
    Anyone want to update w/ further impressions?
    I'm in the market for a new SS for race season and have been set on another carbon SS, but so tempted by these! I wish I could demo one instead of just comparing angles and numbers to bikes I'm already familiar with.
  • 02-24-2013
    deeppow
    I probably have about 10 hours on Pivet less now, absolutely love the bike. I have been riding and racing an Air Nine carbon SS for a couple of years. The Air Nine is a great frame but I was done with the creaking EBB and having to change my seat postion everytime I changed gearing. So far no issues with the Pivot sliding drop outs. The pivot seems to be a little kinder on the body, not sure if it is the Pivot frame or the seat post, maybe the combo of the two. Hope this helps with your decision.
  • 02-24-2013
    jc280
    1 Attachment(s)
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    Here is the Cousin to the Pivot Les. I got it built up last night. I'm still waiting on a set of I9 wheels but other than that it is complete. Still have some brake lines to shorten too. If it would ever stop raining around here I might get to ride it.
    Attachment 775137
  • 02-25-2013
    shortrider
    I am also waiting for one in the next batch (hopefully). I canít wait to build it up as a race singlespeed.

    Nice to hear the positive feedback so far.
  • 02-28-2013
    rideeatrepeat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jc280 View Post
    Here is the Cousin to the Pivot Les. I got it built up last night. I'm still waiting on a set of I9 wheels but other than that it is complete. Still have some brake lines to shorten too. If it would ever stop raining around here I might get to ride it.
    Attachment 775137

    It helps so much when you post a picture to include your frame size.
    So, what fame is that ? and size?
    Thanks!
  • 02-28-2013
    jc280
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    The bike is a large. Here is a link to the specs if interested. http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/20...er-841357.html
  • 02-28-2013
    jc280
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    Sorry. The frame is a BH Ultimate 29er. It looks very similar to the Pivot Les. The BH does not have the SS drop outs like the Pivot.
  • 03-03-2013
    Teton29er
    Anyone know the rear tire clearance? Can a 2.4 fit? Thanks!
  • 03-04-2013
    Salt Cycles
    DANG these look sweet. The orange alone almost made me buy one. Good thing the demo fleet does not have an XL yet or my wife would be very angry with me.

    Pivot seems to be doing lots of great things - hope they can keep the vision and put out fantastic bikes for years to come.
  • 04-22-2013
    Flat Ark
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LIV2RYD View Post
    Here are some pics and 1st ride impression. Its real cold and snowy right now in Mass so I decided to give my knees a break and set the bike up geared last night. It weighs out at 21.5 lbs with my winter rims and tires and 1x9 setup. Having been on a Superfly SS for the past 3 years, I was excited when I first read about the Les because it's geometry matches the Superfly with the notable difference of shorter chainstays and a longer toptube. Let me start by saying that Pivot has absolutely nailed the geometry on the Les. The bike feels more trail bike up front and more race bike out back. Acceleration is impressive, it feels like the bike gets up to speed a bit quicker than my 'fly. Whats interesting is even though the wheelbase is shorter, it rails turns with more authority. Ride quality is very refined, stiff in the BB and headube area but the rear chainstays are tuned to level the chatter in the trail. You stay more connected to the trail on the Les, my 'fly was stiff but a bit harsher out back. BTW, the Syntace P6 Hiflex post is a work of art and helps dampen the ride to a very comfortable level for a hardtail. Its only one ride but it took me a couple of miles to find my groove on this bike and by the 10 mile mark it felt just like home, I believe this is a true sign of a dialed bike. Very little was needed to tweak the cockpit in. I can't wait for the weather to improve so i can turn it loose as a SS.

    Just curious, are you running a standard offset or a G2 fork on the Pivot?
  • 04-23-2013
    LIV2RYD
    Std offset
  • 05-05-2013
    Tberry
    New to the forum but her is my Pivot les it is a large XX1 build and will have the World Cup xx fork in it Monday when it comes in the xx is a loaner. Biked weighed 20.10 pounds
    I will take a few more photos and post them up Monday night.


  • 05-05-2013
    jc280
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
    New to the forum but her is my Pivot les it is a large XX1 build and will have the World Cup xx fork in it Monday when it comes in the xx is a loaner. Biked weighed 20.10 pounds
    I will take a few more photos and post them up Monday night.



    Nice bike Tberry!
  • 05-05-2013
    Tberry
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jc280 View Post
    Nice bike Tberry!

    Thanks,
    If you are who I think you are it was great riding with you Friday.
  • 05-05-2013
    jc280
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
    Thanks,
    If you are who I think you are it was great riding with you Friday.

    Yep! Enjoyed it.
  • 05-08-2013
    DeeZee
    Any SS builds? Interested on how the dropouts worked
  • 05-08-2013
    jfkbike2
    Just finished a build with the SS kit. Have not ridden it yet on trails and won't for a while as I am out of town for a bit. But it built up w/o a hitch and they seem solid. Actually it is a pretty nice setup with the covers for the der. mount and the cable hole covers etc... Only thing I do not like is that to run geared you need a 142 x 12 axle and to run SS you need a Std. 135mm QR. No big deal to pop off the end caps on my DT240's but it would be nice to make them both the same.
  • 05-17-2013
    jrk07
    Demoed a Les a few weeks back and the most striking feeling I had was that I felt right at home on it. My personal bike is a Mach 5.7c (medium) and the Les (medium) felt very comfortable. I rode on less technical terrain than I normally would (fireroads with some tech thrown in), but it seemed to handle the technical bits very well. I haven't demoed any other modern hard tails, but if I was adding one to my quiver I wouldn't hesitate from buying the Les.
  • 05-28-2013
    rideeatrepeat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tberry View Post
    New to the forum but her is my Pivot les it is a large XX1 build and will have the World Cup xx fork in it Monday when it comes in the xx is a loaner. Biked weighed 20.10 pounds
    I will take a few more photos and post them up Monday night.



    Nice !
    How does the frame fit you ?
    I'm 6'-2" and always been on XL frames but not sure about a 29er.
    I'd love to go from my 31 lb bike to a 21 lb rocket like that !
  • 05-29-2013
    jc280
    Pivot LES - Reviews?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rideeatrepeat View Post
    Nice !
    How does the frame fit you ?
    I'm 6'-2" and always been on XL frames but not sure about a 29er.
    I'd love to go from my 31 lb bike to a 21 lb rocket like that !

    I'm 6'2" also and I'm riding a large BH Ultimate 29er. It's a perfect fit for me. The BH is the cousin to the LES so geometry is very close.
  • 06-09-2013
    jfkbike2
    1 Attachment(s)
    100 miles on my Les
    I now have put about 100 miles on my Les, all in Florida and all single speed. Compared to my SC Highball it is a bit more comfortable (seatposts are different and might be part of it). Geometry fits me better as well. Bike is easier to loft front wheel and steering seems a little slower but front end stay planted very well. Overall I am very happy with the bike and am glad I bought it. I am going to ship it out to Oregon for a summer trip and may convert back to gears for that. I have a XX1 crank so that I can easily switch out rear SS set up for a XX1 setup which is one of the main reason I selected the Les. Overall a very nice ride.
  • 06-15-2013
    tobyrider
    2 Attachment(s)
    New to the forum too. Here's my new Pivot Les. Medium weighs 21.5lbs with XX1 & XTR pedals. Got 20 miles in this morning for the first ride and the bike is a lot of fun. Fast and compliant; won't be missing my Epic that I traded in on this.

    Attachment 808421
    Attachment 808422