Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I gave the 740 mm bars about 6 or 7 rides and never got used to them. Just to be sure I swapped my 685 mm bars from my Kona over to the Pivot for a few rides and it just felt ideal so I cut the bars down to 680 mm. Made a great handling bike even better.

After two weeks I still love the bike. Other than narrowing the bars a smidge I have't done a thing to it. I re-greased the seatpost and the creak I was dealing with went away. Great bike and XX1 is magical!

mtbr member
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Les 29er (M). On paper I have most of the build figured out, only major decision is what travel fork 100 or 120. Can anybody comment on the bike handling differences between these two?
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    Hey Gulljammer. I have a Medium Les myself and im 174cm tall just for reference. I started out with a 120mm Marzocchi fork for a few months. The 120mm made the bike a very capable all rounder. I also have a mach5.7C and on my downhill runs I was only a few seconds slower on the downhills with my Les compared to the 5.7C when running the 120mm Marzocchi's. But the front end was abit high for climbs even when the stem was slammed down.
    But the thing is I wanted the Les more for fast XC runs and to smash Strava times with alot of hills. I put a 100mm reba fork with a remote lock out on the Les and now the Les is a rocket. Its way faster now but I cant hit the downhills as hard anymore.
    But thats what my Mach 5.7c is for.
    So if you want the Les as a one bike do it all rounder with very stable handling then get a 120mm fork.
    But if you want the Les as an out right speed machine but still pretty cable on most downhill type runs the get a 100mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    Dano, Thanks for the feedback. I was reading the WMB Les review on Pivot's website; the the author spec'd a 120mm fork for more technical riding and a 100mm for XC. I was looking for a second opinion on his statement, since I am wanting more of an all rounder I will go with a 120 Talas to help on climbs.
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    I just picked myself up a nice little orange Les 29er (M) frame. I also got a SID XX World Cup fork to go with it, along with a King headset and a frameskin installed. I will be slowly assembling it in my spare time with a collection of spare parts, mostly XT, and will be borrowing the hoops from my Tallboy LTc for the time being. Can't wait to get some fast rides in on this!

Is anyone running any extra tape or similar protection on the downtube / bb area, or have been getting any dings or paint chips? Also, anything to watch out for when routing the internal cabling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I plan on installing the full kit for frame protection on my LES
    Frameskin for Pivot Les - Frameskin but sounds like you may already have this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahic View Post
    I plan on installing the full kit for frame protection on my LES
    Frameskin for Pivot Les - Frameskin but sounds like you may already have this?
    Yeah I got the gloss thin version. My lbs initially had the matte one sent to them but had to return it for the gloss as it didn't look right on the orange frame! It certainly adds some piece of mind having the frameskin installed. I'm just looking for some extra protection around the bottom of the top tube / bb area. I may just go soem heli-tape or something similar.

Lifer
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Stumpy View Post

Fit: I'm a long 6'0" and always land in the middle of L and XL bikes. I went with the L on the Les and it fits perfect. When I set it up and rode it around on the street I thought the stem was too long...
    AZ stumpy

I too am 6' (34" inseam) and can't grasp going with the Pivot recommended size Medium especially when, on paper, the geometry of the L is somewhat similar to the L's of Niner Air 9, Santa Cruz Highball, and Yeti ARC-c.
    Did you demo the medium prior to purchasing the large?

I currently run the short stem & wide bar cockpit on both my Spot SS and Surly 1x9.

mtbr member
    I never demoed a MED but I can't imagine riding a smaller size. If anything maybe I could use a 10 or 20 mm shorter stem but I feel great on the LARGE.

mtbr member
    I finally got around to completing my build and got to take her out on the maiden voyage (3.5 hr ride with a bit of everything) the other day. Awesome bike as I'm sure you all are well aware. I was grinning from ear to ear and yelling and hollering and wanted to join a glee club because I was filled with glee. Thanks Chris and co for delivering such a racebike that is so capable, smooth and fun.

Pivot LES - Reviews?-20131207_133705_web.jpgPivot LES - Reviews?-20131207_134019_web.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Also in for a les.
    I'll start it as SS with a XX1 crank or Next SL narrow-wide chainring, don't now yet.
    Like the 156mm Q option on a XX1 crank, the Next sl looks better imo because its also carbon and is lighter...

Would it be possible to run a Stealth dropper post and use the port under the BB area to feed the hydraulic line internally through the downtube and the seattube?

Pivotal figure
    I believe it's "possible" but you'd have to modify the access cover plate and use some sort of glue on cable guide on the down tube to keep the cable in place. I need to double check that the seat tube doesn't have any kind of obstruction inside though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikkie View Post
    Also in for a les.
    I'll start it as SS with a XX1 crank or Next SL narrow-wide chainring, don't now yet.
    Like the 156mm Q option on a XX1 crank, the Next sl looks better imo because its also carbon and is lighter...

Would it be possible to run a Stealth dropper post and use the port under the BB area to feed the hydraulic line internally through the downtube and the seattube?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I did'nt make myself clear enough...
    I'm not running a front derailleur, so instead of running the front shift cable internally, I would use the free port on top of the downtube to run the hydraulic cable through the downtube ánd the seattube.
    But, like you mentioned, it depends on a seattube without obstacles inside...hence my question.
    The tech sheat talks about 'hollow core internal molding', so there might be a good chance to run a cable thru the BB area-seattube junction.
    I'll have to wait about 10 weeks, time to have all the parts ready here upon arrival ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    I believe it's "possible" but you'd have to modify the access cover plate and use some sort of glue on cable guide on the down tube to keep the cable in place. I need to double check that the seat tube doesn't have any kind of obstruction inside though....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pulled the trigger.
    Ordered a les Black/blue frame large with blue Pivot headset.
    RF Next SL with DM 32t, PF BB92, X01, SID RCT3 @ 100mm, SDG I-beam+formula FX, easton XC90 carbon wheelset...
    I'll have to wait to the end of march for delivery though...:-( before I can start building the bike up and see for myself about the seatpost.

Pivotal figure
    That unused port only has a tiny hole in it for the cable to fit inside so you'd be looking at drilling a 5mm hole to fit the housing thru. I'd be hesitant to do that myself since it's not something you can go back from (like if you decide to sell the frame later..)
    I did'nt make myself clear enough...
    I'm not running a front derailleur, so instead of running the front shift cable internally, I would use the free port on top of the downtube to run the hydraulic cable through the downtube ánd the seattube.
    But, like you mentioned, it depends on a seattube without obstacles inside...hence my question.
    The tech sheat talks about 'hollow core internal molding', so there might be a good chance to run a cable thru the BB area-seattube junction.
    I'll have to wait about 10 weeks, time to have all the parts ready here upon arrival ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You're right, drilling in a new frame is something I wouldn't like to do either...
    However, Thomson released a cable actuated stealth dropper for 2014.
    As soon as I receive my frame I'm going to check the options for a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger.
    Ordered a les Black/blue frame large with blue Pivot headset.
    RF Next SL with DM 32t, PF BB92, X01, SID RCT3 @ 100mm, SDG I-beam+formula FX, easton XC90 carbon wheelset...
    I'll have to wait to the end of march for delivery though...:-( before I can start building the bike up and see for myself about the seatpost.
    Hey Dikkie, Just curious on how tall you are and inseam?

www.fattiremassive.com

74 & 29 pilot
    You're right, drilling in a new frame is something I wouldn't like to do either...
    As soon as I receive my frame I'm going to check the options for a dropper post.
    Here ya go, this one works fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-img_4239.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-img_4305-copy.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-image.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Pivotal figure
    Oooh! Now THAT would be a sweet alternative that could be just the thing for this setup!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gulljammer View Post
    Hey Dikkie, Just curious on how tall you are and inseam?
    187cm, inseam 90,6cm, center BB-top of seat 81,5 cm.
    I'm the Long legs, shorter torso and even shorter armlength type.
    Going to use a min 100 or perhaps a 110mm stem with 68,5 cm steerer, still to decide after I receive my frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    nice looking bike, love the ktm orange

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

The special one

I have to say I've never risen a hard tail for many year and when I last did I was not a fan of them! I ordered a Mach 6 and I've been riding an Intense Spider 29 Comp for the last year which i thought was an amazing bike for all kind of riding but I wanted a bike just for putting in the miles.

I changed all my Spider gear over to my LES and it may be a bit over kill with the Fox 34 forks set at 110mm and weights in at 23.7lbs but this bike feels amazing!!!

Im in shock how fast this thing climbs and how much energy you save, i don't know if this is down to the weigh difference between the spider (3.5lbs) or the fact of no rear suspension? I guess both and others. Its around about the same angles as the spider with a 68.5 deg head angle and a similar length in the cock pit so it feels perfect for me. It descends extremely well and more than capable of gong bigger but its me who lets it down with m lack of hard tail experience and use to the suspension doing all the work

Pivot LES - Reviews?-les-29er.jpg

mtbr member
    My Pivot LES is the bike I choose the most out of all my rides. Just rips on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-image.jpg  

mtbr member

Les is more.

Murdered out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-image.jpg  

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice, I like the stealthy look.
    Is this an extreme DIY job, or is it a new 'non'-color option prototype?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast