Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Who's got a blue SS set up?? Come on I need my fix!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any 6'2-6'3 pivot les riders and if so, are you riding a L or an XL? I am debating on which size to get. I currently ride a L mach429, but i have my seat as far back as it can go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can someone tell me what diameter the seat post is? I'm hoping its not 27.2, so I have my Dropper post options...

mtbr member
    May 2011

Pivot LES - Reviews?

Their tech FAQ still says all pivot frames use a 30.9 seat post, and they usually keep it updated.

mtbr member
    Mine is 30.9mm and I have the Syntace P6 post and it is very comfy. Not a dropper though

mtbr member

Re: Pivot LES - Reviews?

Has anyone set one up as a monster cross? I'm thinking about it as my one and only with a road wheelset when needed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    Any 6'2-6'3 pivot les riders and if so, are you riding a L or an XL? I am debating on which size to get. I currently ride a L mach429, but i have my seat as far back as it can go.
    I'm 6'2 and recently rented an XL 429Carbon. I couldn't have imagined going with a smaller frame, as my saddle position was neutral on the rails, 110mm stem w/740mm bars. LBS is telling me that if I like the XL on the 429c, that I'll like the XL on the Les. I've got a long torso w/long arms and usually prefer long top tubes though. So I'm leaning towards the XL if that helps at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    I'm 6'2 and recently rented an XL 429Carbon. I couldn't have imagined going with a smaller frame, as my saddle position was neutral on the rails, 110mm stem w/740mm bars. LBS is telling me that if I like the XL on the 429c, that I'll like the XL on the Les. I've got a long torso w/long arms and usually prefer long top tubes though. So I'm leaning towards the XL if that helps at all.
    Thanks for the info. I currently ride a L 429 and i find it somewhat cramped but easier to control vs my XL turner 5spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info. I currently ride a L 429 and i find it somewhat cramped but easier to control vs my XL turner 5spot.
    I ride a 09 XL DW Sultan and it was interesting to compare it to the ride of the XL 429C. With its shorter chainstays, lower bb, carbon construction, super tight linkages, the 429C handled fantastically well. Better than the Sultan IMHO, and I really love the Sultan. Of course my Sultan is 4 years old, so not a real fair comparison. A better head to head comparison will be the Turner Czar w/120mm fork vs the Pivot 429C.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ended up going with the XL Les with the xo1 build. I took here home and swapped out the seat and the stem to a 95mm length one; as i felt the 110 that it came with made the steering to gyroscopic. I have two 20 mile rides on her so far and am thinking of maybe putting on a 100mm stem. Seems the 95mm unbalances the frame somewhat for climbing purposes, though for twisty turns it sure does rail those turns. I will say that if you are 6'2-6'3 then the XL is the way to go. It fits like a glove and you really dont notice that you are on a HT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I popped the 110mm stem back on for this mornings ride and what a night and day difference. This bike has a nice gitty up first step on her with the longer stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ended up going with the XL Les with the xo1 build. I took here home and swapped out the seat and the stem to a 95mm length one; as i felt the 110 that it came with made the steering to gyroscopic. I have two 20 mile rides on her so far and am thinking of maybe putting on a 100mm stem. Seems the 95mm unbalances the frame somewhat for climbing purposes, though for twisty turns it sure does rail those turns. I will say that if you are 6'2-6'3 then the XL is the way to go. It fits like a glove and you really dont notice that you are on a HT.
    So would you say it was stiff where it needed to be, yet compliant where it needed to be too? What width of handlebar did you go with?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So would you say it was stiff where it needed to be, yet compliant where it needed to be too? What width of handlebar did you go with?
    Yes, very stiff and yet compliant when things start to get rough.

Mine came with the 740mm one, which took some getting use to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, very stiff and yet compliant when things start to get rough.

Mine came with the 740mm one, which took some getting use to.
    Great to hear. You are gonna give us some pics, right???:-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great to hear. You are gonna give us some pics, right???:-)
    i was waiting to change out my pedals today and then I will post up my build with pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Got her all dialed in finally. Comparing her to my pivot 429

climbing - equal
    flats - les
    downhill - les
    handling - les

Overall I would say the two are very similar rides, with the Les being crazy light at around 21-22 lbs.

My build specs

FORK FOX 32 29" 100 FIT CTD TRAIL ADJUST KASHIMA
    HEADSET PIVOT PRECISION SEALED BEARING
    REAR DER XO-1 11Spd Type 2
    FRONT DER N/A
    SHIFTERS XO-1 REAR
    BRAKES XO TRAIL
    CRANKS X-1 GXP 30T
    BAR PHOENIX Carbon Riser 740mm
    GRIPS PIVOT Lock On
    STEM syntace f109 110mm
    POST syntace p6 carbon hiflex
    SEAT ergon sm3 pro carbon saddle
    CASSETTE XO-1 10-42 11Spd
    WHEELS DT 29 350 SPLINE ONE XR XD Tubeless
    TIRES conti x-king
    PEDALS xpedo mforce 8 ti

Pivot LES - Reviews?-img_20130901_164036.jpg

Bike Addiction
    I want one!!!!
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Surprised that Les would win the downhill. Is it because the Les's geometry works better for you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Surprised that Les would win the downhill. Is it because the Les's geometry works better for you?
    I am not sure on that, just know that this thing is like a rocket on the downhills and it is definitely more than just perception.

mtbr member
    Just picked up my Black/Blue Les with XX1. Size large with XTR pedals weighs exactly 22 pounds. Better pics and a short review on Monday after I flog it for a weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Got a few rides in on my new Les (XX1 factory build) this weekend (on flowy desert singletrack). This bike is awesome!!! All I have to compare it to is my 5 year old 26 inch F/S Stumpjumper, my Kona Unit 2-9 singlespeed, and a litany of rental 29 inch Stumpjumpers, Epics, and a Yeti SB95. So maybe part of my infatuation with this bike may be because I've never ridden a carbon hardtail before. Either way, this is by far the best/fastest bike I've ever ridden.

Ride: A 22 lb hardtail 29er should climb like a billygoat but what blows me away is how fast this bikes wants to go downhill. I don't understand why but this bike feels soooo smooth and fast on the decend. Up, down, or level the bike had way more speed in it than I could give it. I actually felt like I was holding the BIKE back. Wasn't just my imagination either. Got a slug of PR's on Strava this weekend on the Les.

Fit: I'm a long 6'0" and always land in the middle of L and XL bikes. I went with the L on the Les and it fits perfect. When I set it up and rode it around on the street I thought the stem was too long and the bars were too wide. I also was thinking I had to jack up the seatpost a mile and was starting to think I needed an XL. I was dead wrong. I fits perfect on the trail. The bars are 740mm and I'm still on the fence about them. I'm going to give it another week or two but am likely going buzz them down to 700 or even 680... maybe.

Build: Absolutely freaking perfect. I've owned about 5 mid-high range bikes and this will be the first one ever that I don't have to mess with. The XX1 is better than even reported. The shifting is super crisp and the 30x10-42 is right on the money for the trails I ride.

Going into the purchase of this bike I've HATED Avid and Magura brakes. I almost coughed up $500 to slap XTR's on this bike before I even picked it up. Out of haste to just get the bike I didn't and am glad I didn't. After they bedded in, the MT-8's are actually really good. We even had a rare summer rain here in the desert today and they still worked great.

The Slant Six tires at 700+ grams a pop were on their way out, too but I'm kinda liking them. There are a few sandy washes that we have to muscle through and the Slant Sixes just floated me right through them. I'm also thinking the higher volume of the 2.2's (verses the 2.0 and 2.1's on my other bikes) is adding to some of the compliance I'm enjoying. Grip on our granite trails was awesome, too. Probably gonna leave them alone.

At 22 pounds I'm happy with the weight but this bike could fairly easily dip down to close to 20 even with lighter tires, pedals (running XTR's), rotors, seat, and seatpost.

The one only issue I'm having is a creaky seatpost. Not sure if it's because it's new or if it has something to do with the gritty carbon grease on it. Open for suggestions/ideas on that.

My other question/concern is with the lack of downtube protection. The Les has none. As this being my first carbon bike and being a desert rat this concerns me. Researching options and open for opinions on that, too. Maybe the Les is beefy enough that it doesn't need it???

So there's my review. You could skip it and read one word: BADASS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES - Reviews?-image.jpg  

Pivot LES - Reviews?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Stumpy View Post
    A 22 lb hardtail 29er should climb like a billygoat but what blows me away is how fast this bikes wants to go downhill. I don't understand why but this bike feels soooo smooth and fast on the decend. Up, down, or level the bike had way more speed in it than I could give it. I actually felt like I was holding the BIKE back. Wasn't just my imagination either. Got a slug of PR's on Strava this weekend on the Les.
    Agreed! I feel that maybe i am holding the bike back sometimes as i dont want to go that fast in fear that I might eat it.

mtbr member
    I am not sure on that, just know that this thing is like a rocket on the downhills and it is definitely more than just perception.
    Did you used time as a measurement?

If not, perception is all you have to go on.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just to add to the phrase. I have had my Les since the spring. Golden bike shop hooked me up and I was told it was the first one in the state. Due to a broken collar bone the bike was actually displayed in the shop for a month with a sold sign on it. I can't say enough about the bike. I bought it as a geared bike because I wanted the option to run it geared or single. I also wanted the Kashima coated fork. Most of the summer I road and raced it as a single speed. I took it to Moab and Fruita and I am continually pleased at how well it descends. The bike is stiff at the bottom bracket and compliant in the seat stays. In August I converted it to a 1x9 and raced the Breck Epic on it. I wasn't surprised at how it climbs but was surprised at how well it descends. Coming from an Air 9 it has been great not dealing with a creaking EBB and it is nice to have a little compliance in the seat stays. Great Bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    AZ Stumpy - Sweet rig!

Check out Gene Hamilton's article on wide bars/short stem on the betterride.net site before you cut those bars. HUGE improvement on handling with this setup. I'm not sponsored by them or anything, but just recently went to this upgrade and WOW what a positive difference after 14 years riding narrow bars/long stem.

I find it interesting that carbon hardtails are surpassing metal(including Ti) hardtails in the compliance department. I know mine does.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast