mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Pivot LES 27.5 Review

Due to the lack of reviews, figured I'd chime in on the Pivot LES 27.5 as I had the opportunity to demo the SLX build twice now.

Going into the demo, I was already struggling with the 650b platform as I had been extremely disappointed with the Santa Cruz 5010c a few weeks earlier (know I'll catch flak but sorry just didn't like it). Thought I would give 650b another try as I prefer hardtails and heard Pivot bikes were great rides.

It took me a few minutes to adapt but instantly noticed how quick and agile the LES was. There is quite a bit of frame feedback but chalked that up to the stiffness of the carbon,which I have little experience with. A couple miles into the ride I grew more confident and started to push it. The bike responded and solidified my feeling this bike really wants to go.

So I let it go...and wow does the LES respond. I was carving the trail and catching air every chance possible just like my 26er. The frame is burly yet light and inspires confidence. This is much appreciated as I ride aggressively. I would consider the LES a solid trail bike but could foresee a light XC build.

Overall, Pivot knocked this one out of the park as the geometry is fantastic and makes for a fun ride! I managed to ride about 18 miles across both demos and enjoyed the bike immensely. At 5'10" and 140lbs geared up, the medium fit like a glove.

My only complaints would be the bars as they were way too wide, and the Fox fork left something to be desired. Regardless, I highly recommend the bike. I would prefer the X9 build, but the $4K+ price tag is tough to swallow.

Hope this review helps those searching for feedback like myself and would appreciate any reviews/pictures of builds if you own one. I plan to demo the bike for a few days in the near future and will provide an update at that time.

Pivotal figure
    I thought for sure there was a review thread but you're right, nothing out there yet! I have just over 900 miles on mine now and it still blows me away. I've done several long rides with plenty of climbing and even rode a solo 24 hr race that came out to 170 miles and close to 11k of climbing. I just put in 120 miles on the new Mach4 and wasn't sure how I'd feel about getting back on the hard tail again but one ride was all it took to remind me how much I love this bike. Insanely fast uphill and down, even over demanding terrain. Definitely a different mindset but that's what appeals to me, and the acceleration out of corners makes me feel stronger than I really am Keep an eye on the "Projekt Roam" site for some feedback, Colt just built his bike up and is digging it too.

All of our demo bikes get built up with "stock" parts, including the 740mm bars which have markings in case you want to trim them to a narrower width.. I've been very happy with my fork, I run it in Descend mode pretty much all the time with ~100 psi (I'm about 185 lbs with gear, ride a Large frame).

https://www.facebook.com/projektroam
    https://vimeo.com/projektroam
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Pivotal figure
    Here's a shot of the XS frame from Interbike last year...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot LES 27.5 Review-1237762_664564316895341_248382543_n.jpg  

mtbr member

Re: Pivot LES 27.5 Review

Pivot LES 27.5 Review-uploadfromtaptalk1409769028413.jpg

So sick!
    Frame: Medium
    Fork: 2014 Rock Shox SID RCT3 100mm
    Stem: 75mm Enve
    Bar: 2015 Easton Haven Carbon 740mm
    Wheels: Nox Composites AM 27.5, 28 spoke
    Hubs: Industry Nine Torch classic
    Brakes: Shimano XTR with 160mm rotors f/r
    Drivetrain: XX1/XO1 mix with a Stages SRAM X9 left crank arm power meter
    Seatpost: Syntace P6 Hi-flex
    Saddle: Tioga Spyder Stratum
    Tires: f- 2.3 Schwalbe Rock Razor, r- 2.1 Schwalbe Thunder Burt
    Grips: Lizzard Skin DSP
    Frame Protection: Frameskin Les kit and fork kit

Weight = 21.4lbs, My goal was 20lbs or less but I used significant frame protection, a lot of Stan's and the front tire is 700-750g.

Pivotal figure
    I had the same grips! Ended up swapping to thicker Oury's after a few months but I love the look and feel of those....Nice build
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1409769028413.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	920570

So sick!

Weight = 21.4lbs, My goal was 20lbs or less but I used significant frame protection, a lot of Stan's and the front tire is 700-750g.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice! Nox wheels built by Super Dave?

So sick!

mtbr member
    Thanks Ken. Yeah, the grips will probably get swaped out. They already started to twist a little and the end cap won't go all the way in flush because of the tape you fold into the end. Love the way they match though. Damn!

Seandm, they were a complete build at Nox. Not familiar with who builds them. I really like them so far. Feel solid. With stems and tape they weighed in at 1600g on my crappy food scale. Obviously could have gone with lighter XC rims but wanted something I didn't have to worry about on our loose rocky trails. Really like that Rock Razor up front. Not really its intended use but on an XC bike that you still want a high volume front for some comfort it is awesome so far. Fast but good bite when you lean it over in the corners.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have the same exact wheel setup on my Les 29er made by speed dreams in ftn hills. It is amazing what a difference they make over the stock rims that come with the Les build kits.

Seandm, they were a complete build at Nox. Not familiar with who builds them. I really like them so far. Feel solid. With stems and tape they weighed in at 1600g on my crappy food scale. Obviously could have gone with lighter XC rims but wanted something I didn't have to worry about on our loose rocky trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

So sick!

There is a local Pivot Les 27.5 for sale. It is a medium. I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam. On the Pivot website it states I should ride a small. Any chance the medium will work for me? I probably can meet him for a test ride but would rather not waste my time if it ain't gonna work. Any thoughts such as your height and inseam and what you think would help.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member

Re: Pivot LES 27.5 Review

Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    There is a local Pivot Les 27.5 for sale. It is a medium. I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam. On the Pivot website it states I should ride a small. Any chance the medium will work for me? I probably can meet him for a test ride but would rather not waste my time if it ain't gonna work. Any thoughts such as your height and inseam and what you think would help.

Thanks,

Chuck
    I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I use a 70mm stem and 740mm bars. Fits me perfect. Really depends how stretched out you want to be. You would probably need to run a really short stem and narrower bars to accommodate the reach. Really hard for me to say though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I use a 70mm stem and 740mm bars. Fits me perfect. Really depends how stretched out you want to be. You would probably need to run a really short stem and narrower bars to accommodate the reach. Really hard for me to say though.
    Thanks the local bike sold. Sounds like a medium wouldn't have worked for me anyways.