swag ho Administrator

Pivot Interbike Booth

Big Test Icycles
    I was hoping to hear that the 5.7 got updated with ISCG tabs. Loved the green on the 429c. The FB always looks good.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Firebird and dual crown forks? Really?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Can we get an official ruling on the firebird dual crown statement?

Big Test Icycles
    I believe the FB raced as their DH bike before the Phoenix came out. I've seen a pic of a guy with a Fox 40 on a FB. I'd run one without hesitation.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dberndt View Post
    What's more official than CC saying it on camera? Website recommends 170mm and no mention of dual crown. I think he misspoke.

Bobo

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    We have always said a dual crown fork will fit on a Firebird, we would want it set to 180mm travel. This type of fork is better than the 36 180mm fork, as a dual crown fork will have a lower axle to crown height.

Nothing gets more official than when Chris speaks it...
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Personally, If I ever put a dual crown on my firebird, I think I would rather keep it at 8" travel. The BB on the FB is low enough for me already. The ability to run the crowns as high up as possible and slack it out a bit more and raise the BB some are what would appeal to me about a setup like that.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Personally, If I ever put a dual crown on my firebird, I think I would rather keep it at 8" travel. The BB on the FB is low enough for me already. The ability to run the crowns as high up as possible and slack it out a bit more and raise the BB some are what would appeal to me about a setup like that.

The frame as stated is compatible to forks from 160mm to 180mm, anything outside of the recommended travel will result in a poor performing Firebird, and possibly voiding the warranty.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Boxxer axle to crown is 568mm, a fox 36 180 is 565. I hardly see a difference here.

Dropping the stanchions as low as they could go might bring the axle to crown to maybe 580? This are small deltas which could be made up with things like external vs internal headset cups, etc. I really think you are pushing a very fine line there.