I do what I want

Pivot Firebird XL riders

How tall are you guys and what type of terrain are you riding on??

Ive been on a Pivot demo spree lately, spent a couple days on the large Phoenix, a Large Firebird and Im going to hit up the Firebird XL this weekend, really trying to lock down my next bike but got to build a base to go off. Looking for something I can "do it all" on, Im 6'4" tall. I know Ive been posting a lot about the Phoenix and Firebird, really the only 2 bikes I would choose from, I cant afford 2 bikes and so I need to lock it down!!! Thanks for patience and help gents.

Some of the stuff I ride regulary...

Last edited by Guy.Ford; 12-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm on a XL Firebird. I'm 6'4" as well. I think it fits great for a do-it-all bike. I was actually a little hesitant that the top tube was going to feel short on the longer xc stretches, but it has felt as comfortable as some of the custom made bikes I've had built for me.

I have only had it for a little while, but have ridden it on everything from buff xc rides to the super chunky trail rides. It is surprising how good it feels on XC style trails, it doesn't feel as sluggish as my old 6-7" Heavy Duty bike. With every ride it continues to impresses me more and more.

Rider down under
    That last ride you posted there looks fantastic. Fairly chunky in sections.
    Nice to see somebody else walking some of that kind of stuff too - I always feel really bad about that.
    I'm on a Large at 6'0" and it feels perfect. At 6'4" you'd definately be on a XL IMO.

mtbr member
    How did the Phoenix feel - I assume a large Phoenix is shorter than a large Firebird? I'm 6'1" but I have a longish torso. The L Fbird felt too compact to me so I moved to an XL and love it. It's something like 5mm shorter than my Nomad. So far, I've taken it to Whistler and I ride all sorts of terrain at home. The Fbird is by far my most favorite bike that I've owned so far, and I've "owned" or at least tested a ton of bikes.

This video from the Speedgoat website is what made me want one:

Riding the Firebird Prototype in Prescott from Ken Bennett on Vimeo.

"It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    How did the Phoenix feel - I assume a large Phoenix is shorter than a large Firebird? I'm 6'1" but I have a longish torso. The L Fbird felt too compact to me so I moved to an XL and love it. It's something like 5mm shorter than my Nomad. So far, I've taken it to Whistler and I ride all sorts of terrain at home. The Fbird is by far my most favorite bike that I've owned so far, and I've "owned" or at least tested a ton of bikes.

The large Phoenix is actually longer in the TT by .30", however the ST is shorter by 1". The Phoenix felt awesome, but setup for DH duty, its hard to tell how it would suit my needs, but I think it would work well, possibly too much bike (travel wise) for 90% of my riding.

Lrg Firebird felt awesome as well, super light bike (compared to what Im used to, 07 Kona Coiler). I almost thought it was too light, but now Im having second thoughts. I will have a better idea after I spend some time on the XL this weekend. Im super excited!!!

Thank you all for your patience and continued help, shared stoke!!!
    Guy.Ford

VooDoo user.
    Fireturd for everything. Throw a coiler on and 2.5 tires and it's at home at the resorts.

Put the airshock on and 2.3 tires on for the trails.

I'm gonna make some more mods this winter like 2x10 Drivetrain and 180 fork to help take it to the next level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've been riding a Firebird for over a year now and have ridden all of those trails except Bootleg. PGs pushes the limits but that's more the rider than bike. I would consider the bird a Telonics slayer as it's the perfect size for that trail. Stairsteps isn't all that fun to me since the risk reward for going down is way too unfavorable.

As far as other trails in the area the Firebird is probably the largest bike you would want out there. Although, if you're shuttling to PGs and those trails on the south side the Pheonix is a viable option. I've never pedaled a Pheonix, but since it's a full blown DH rig at around 38lbs lightest, I think the trails on the other side of the canyon are out of the question.

Btw, I'm 5'9" on a small.

mtbr member
    I ride the same trails as you, except I have not tried PGs. Hit several other on the North side of the 133 that are fun as well. I do not have a FB, but I have a little seat time on a friend's. I would think that the FB would be a the near perfect "do it all" bike for this area.

From all of the e-riding that I have done on the Phoenix, I just do not see as a true "do it all" bike no matter how efficient the suspension is supposed to be. Unless you are solely shuttling, I would hate to pedal that thing up Canyon Acres, Willow, etc.
    Last edited by bauhaus; 12-08-2010 at 05:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    I ride the same trails as you, except I have not tried PGs. Hit several other on the North side of the 133 that are fun as well. I do not have a FB, but I have a little seat time on a friends. I would think that the FB would be a the near perfect "do it all" bike for the area.

From all of my e-riding that I have done on the Phoenix, I just do not see as a true "do it all" bike no matter how efficient the suspension is suppose to be. Unless you are solely shuttling, I would hate to pedal that thing up Canyon Acres, Willow, etc.

I was going to say something similar then decided.... I don't really know what he means by do it all. Subjective thing....
    "It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    I was going to say something similar then decided.... I don't really know what he means by do it all. Subjective thing....
    Do it all, The GUY Version: (disclaimer: please note that my version of do it all may not be the same as everyone elses version and therefore may not be meet or exceed expectations)

My do it all is just that, I like to climb for hours and descend the longest chunky trails I can find. I like to shuttle, ride resorts and do the occasional 6-8 hr marathon ride. Now please keep in mind I did this all before on a 36-37lb bike. I ride 1x9(10) only and typically coil suspension. I live for riding f'ed up rides, I will find a way to string together as many local trails as possible to get in as much descending time and ride time as possible. I love adventure and the more fed up the better.

Hope this helps!
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Do it all, The GUY Version: (disclaimer: please note that my version of do it all may not be the same as everyone elses version and therefore may not be meet or exceed expectations)

My do it all is just that, I like to climb for hours and descend the longest chunky trails I can find. I like to shuttle, ride resorts and do the occasional 6-8 hr marathon ride. Now please keep in mind I did this all before on a 36-37lb bike. I ride 1x9(10) only and typically coil suspension. I live for riding f'ed up rides, I will find a way to string together as many local trails as possible to get in as much descending time and ride time as possible. I love adventure and the more fed up the better.

Hope this helps!
    So, how do you get to the top of Stairsteps, PGs, Telonix, etc? Do you shuttle or climb up?

Shuttle - go for the Phoenix.
    Climb - the FB would be perfect.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by nating75
    I've been riding a Firebird for over a year now and have ridden all of those trails except Bootleg. PGs pushes the limits but that's more the rider than bike. I would consider the bird a Telonics slayer as it's the perfect size for that trail. Stairsteps isn't all that fun to me since the risk reward for going down is way too unfavorable.

As far as other trails in the area the Firebird is probably the largest bike you would want out there. Although, if you're shuttling to PGs and those trails on the south side the Pheonix is a viable option. I've never pedaled a Pheonix, but since it's a full blown DH rig at around 38lbs lightest, I think the trails on the other side of the canyon are out of the question.

Btw, I'm 5'9" on a small.

I usually climb everything I ride, I only shuttle when the DH monkeys want to.

Yeah I love that whole area Aliso and Laguna Coast!!! Some awesome trails, climbing and descending!! I can string together hours or riding between those two places.

Couple of my other faves -
    Holy Jim - Main Divide - Trabuco
    Harding - Joplin - Old Camp - Luge and back to harding
    Guy.Ford

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus
    So, how do you get to the top of Stairsteps, etc? Do you shuttle or climb up?

Shuttle - go for the Phoenix.
    Climb - the FB would be perfect.
    Both, like someone else mentioned you can climb up Canyon Acres. Usually though more often then not those trails are shuttle only.
    Guy.Ford

"No Clue Crew"
    I am 6"1", 225lbs and I use my XL Firebird as a true "all purpose" bike.
    For me that means everything from a 10 hour Dawn to Dusk race to shuttling Bootleg Canyon.
    The Firebird rocks on every trail you put it on !

mtbr member
    People are always making videos of my local trails. I mostly ride up to this one, down it, the down some other ones that go back to my house. No I can't ride with that much awesomeness.

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Willow Dells vid

Riding the Firebird Prototype in Prescott from Ken Bennett on Vimeo.

Clay........

Yeah, that day Kenny came up with this new bike to ride these trails near where I live, I was very impressed with how sensitive, supple and "coil-like" the rear end was and knew one would be in my future........I now ride a L at 6'0", it feels perfect. I am the other rider in that vid, Kenny is rocking the Helmet cam and making some very tech trails look WAY too easy..............................