mtbr member
    May 2004

Pivot Firebird owners please

I just purchased a Firebird and am still in the process of setting it up. I find that if I go with Pivot's sag indicator the rear end is a little too soft on rocky climbs and rides like I had flat tires on steep long fireroads. Does anyone find this too? I think the sweet spot is run with 5mm less sag than the indicator indicates.

ZEN RIDER!
    Body mass with gear?
    Rebound setting?
    What shock?
    And what did you come off of? Another AM bike?
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    May 2004
    200 lbs with gear
    Rebound set to 2 clicks from full open
    RP23
    I came off a 2005 Specialized Enduro.

Just wanted to know if anybody find this frame not so good at climbing if following Pivot's sag suggestion.

trail "cleaner"

I also run less sag...

But, not for pedaling purposes but because it blows through the travel too easily. Must be a RP23 thing. I'm thinking about shimming the large volume canister on the shock and see how it performs. Anyone else with the RP23 shock try this trick?
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    But, not for pedaling purposes but because it blows through the travel too easily. Must be a RP23 thing. I'm thinking about shimming the large volume canister on the shock and see how it performs. Anyone else with the RP23 shock try this trick?
    Check the Turner forum on the mod for the RP23. DW 5 Spot RP23 mod

RCC
    Bandolero

Good info guys thanks.

I'm a new FB owner my self and also noticed the shock eating the travel quite easy running the 30% sag recomended.
    Do you guys know by any chance if I can run a coil shock with the carbon rockers on a 2011 model? or do i need to get the metal ones? thanks in advance
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Coming off of a 5 spot I deed feel it was a bit softer but I Haven't tested it yet. Set it up yesterday going to test it tomorrow. SUUUUPER PSYCHED!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I came from hardtail w/ Super T, before that a K2 Razorback RSX (~3in F&R). Just got the firebird, only have a few rides on mine, but i too noticed it was similar to having flat ish tires, haha, i actaully remember looking down multiple times thinking WTF at the tires, pumped them up and was still similar. Pumped up the shock so sag was less and this helped.

It seems two fold, after riding down the trail w/3' drops, rocky/rooty, i just fell in love with the travel so plush and active, i honestly got done and had seen the o-ring at the bottom of the stoke, thinking to myself, wow, didnt even think i used much travel... guess if i dont notice it was a good thing.

Some guys run coils on the carbon rocker, but are susposed to run the alloy rocker. the newer carbon rockers are thicker so would not be as prone to breaking as the older version. only susposed to use the fox dhx rc4 coil, but not certain on the Cane creek double barrel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrat View Post
    Some guys run coils on the carbon rocker, but are susposed to run the alloy rocker. the newer carbon rockers are thicker so would not be as prone to breaking as the older version. only susposed to use the fox dhx rc4 coil, but not certain on the Cane creek double barrel.
    No problems with the CCDB using the carbon rocker arm so far. If I break it I'll put the aluminium rocker arm on.

mtbr member
    I just took mine for it's first ride today, and I was stunned at how it climbed.

I set mine up to the sag line, and it seems fine. Very plush but climbs like a rocket.

Keep in mind they do say to sit down HARD and then check the sag. Not just sit lightly on the seat.

trail "cleaner"

great mod!

Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Check the Turner forum on the mod for the RP23. DW 5 Spot RP23 mod
    So I popped off the large volume sleeve and inserted strips of rubber inside the sleeve. Reassembled the shock and can't believe how much better it feels now It is quite progressive (not blowing through the mid-travel) and I don't need 220 psi in it!!!
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    No problems with the CCDB using the carbon rocker arm so far. If I break it I'll put the aluminium rocker arm on.
    Same here but with an RC4 - I have the thicker carbon rocker arms.

I don't notice the feeling the the OP is stating, i have never ridden with the RP23 attached, so it makes me wonder if it is a shock problem? When I have looked at the back tire to see if it was fully inflated its because the FB was so plush and smooth.

If you ever get the chance try a Coil on the rear, the weight penalty is well worth the performance.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    I'm a new FB owner my self and also noticed the shock eating the travel quite easy running the 30% sag recomended.
    Do you guys know by any chance if I can run a coil shock with the carbon rockers on a 2011 model? or do i need to get the metal ones? thanks in advance
    RCC
    We have approved the RC4 shock as the only coil over shock you can use on the Firebird. It requires the use of the alloy rocker as the carbon rocker will not clear the spring plate.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    We have approved the RC4 shock as the only coil over shock you can use on the Firebird. It requires the use of the alloy rocker as the carbon rocker will not clear the spring plate.
    I seem to remember in other posts similar to this one over the last maybe, 6-10 months, that the CCDB was also acceptable.
    Has Pivot's position on this changed?
    "It's our struggles that define us..."

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhinaz View Post
    I seem to remember in other posts similar to this one over the last maybe, 6-10 months, that the CCDB was also acceptable.
    Has Pivot's position on this changed?
    With the new updates to the frame the CCDB is too large. We have update the frames with a larger gusset that interferes with the CCDB. Dont' shave material away on the frame to allow a shock to fit - removing material isn't good...
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    With the new updates to the frame the CCDB is too large. We have update the frames with a larger gusset that interferes with the CCDB. Dont' shave material away on the frame to allow a shock to fit - removing material isn't good...
    Right on, the OP has a 2012 frame. It fits fine on my 2010 though.
    Just recently found out about the "upgrade" gussett that can be retrofitted to older frames. It would have been nice to get this info from Pivot, rather than on a forum board though.
    Also a little annoying that a bike as versatile as the Firebird, which can run about any fork from 160-180mm, with whatever angleset set up you want, over any terrain you want, would have a frame design that only allowed one specific coil shock to fit. It is the best bike I've ridden, so I don't want to complain too much, but come on guys, versatility means keeping rider options open, right?
    "It's our struggles that define us..."

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhinaz View Post
    Right on, the OP has a 2012 frame. It fits fine on my 2010 though.
    Just recently found out about the "upgrade" gussett that can be retrofitted to older frames. It would have been nice to get this info from Pivot, rather than on a forum board though.
    Also a little annoying that a bike as versatile as the Firebird, which can run about any fork from 160-180mm, with whatever angleset set up you want, over any terrain you want, would have a frame design that only allowed one specific coil shock to fit. It is the best bike I've ridden, so I don't want to complain too much, but come on guys, versatility means keeping rider options open, right?
    Please keep in mind, that not all coil shocks have a bottom out feature, and with out some type of bottom out control like the RC4 has with it's boost valve, this can damage a frame that isn't built like a freeride or DH bike.
    Jack Handy