mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Pivot Firebird 27.5 Experience, and frame FS!

Posted in 650B forum but figured I'd throw it over here as well...

I race/ride a Carbon 429 daily, mostly technical rocky stuff in Austin. Was looking for fun bike to ride when not training, more relaxed riding position and extra travel. Pulled the trigger on a Firebird 27.5 as I had lusted after the Firebird for awhile, and having scored a deal on some 650 Enves, it was time to take the plunge.

It took me one test ride to figure out this was too much bike for my intended use. I thought I would be ok cruising on a AM/Freeride bike, but it's not the case. If I were riding Moab, Sedona, etc. all the time, this would be the bike to have, but for Austin trails it's not the perfect match. There just aren't enough big downhills, and drops to necessitate having a bike like the firebird. I do like the feel of the 650 wheel, and have decided to swap out frames and go with a Burner. Having ridden a Sultan from 2008-last year, I think the Burner will offer a better balance for Austin trails.

It may be coming off a bike like the 429C, that makes the Firebird seem like such a dramatic change. That's my experience thus far and will have a report on the Burner soon. Now who needs a frame????

Pivot firebird 27.5 frame. Med Blk Ano with angle set. One Test Ride. - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Dec 2008