Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 67

Thread: Pivot-Fest!!

  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rehammer81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    212
    Sounds freaking awesome Vik. I was planning on skipping Moab this year but may need to find a way to swing this. I may be on my Firechicken but I also may be on a Warden if all goes well.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    ------
    Last edited by vikb; 04-03-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    Sounds freaking awesome Vik. I was planning on skipping Moab this year but may need to find a way to swing this. I may be on my Firechicken but I also may be on a Warden if all goes well.
    I'd love to see a Warden in action up close.

    I hope the stars align and you get the new rig.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    16
    vik - not sure where that ankle biter came from, but good on you for spearheading some positive vibes and energy in the interwebs.

    Doubt I'll be able to join you, but if you haven't done it... you must ride the enchilada. Finished that at the tail end of the San Juan Huts (on my recently stolen Mach 5) and was blown away. 3 really distinct segments of trails, tons of fun, and lots of downhill. Did I mention the super-nasty climb to start? It's all well worth it.

    Thanks again for the good vibes and energy. Huah!

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffme View Post
    Doubt I'll be able to join you, but if you haven't done it... you must ride the enchilada. Finished that at the tail end of the San Juan Huts (on my recently stolen Mach 5) and was blown away. 3 really distinct segments of trails, tons of fun, and lots of downhill. Did I mention the super-nasty climb to start? It's all well worth it.

    Thanks again for the good vibes and energy. Huah!
    Thanks for the WE recommendation. I have ridden it before, but I would never turn down another opportunity.

    WE is the kind of trail where my Mach 6 should be awesome - lighter, fast and enough suspension to smash chunk. I do recall the mega climb - I did a variation of the WE so I did a different climb, but it was equally grim especially considering the 35lbs bike and I live at sea level!

    I'd love to hear about your San Juan huts trip. That's been on my radar for a while. It looks like a ton of fun.
    Last edited by vikb; 04-03-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  6. #31
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    What's the consensus on trails / loops? I've been to moab twice but never done Capt Ahab for example. Fruita or Grand Junction versus so many days in Moab ? (Yes I have a Pivot!)
    Has anyone here been on the new Hymasa trail yet? It is a singletrack climb up Amasa that gets you off the Jeep trail. Here is a great way to do the loop.

    Climb Amasa/Hymasa
    Descend Ahab

    Climb Hymasa/Amasa
    Hit Rockstacker/Jackson

    This gets you 2 great rides in one, where each is a bit short on its own. Climbing is not too difficult on Amasa, can't speak for Hymasa yet though.

    Hymasa Trail Construction. | Moab Mountain Bike Association
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Who needs Outerbike when you already have THE BIKE!
    Agree for now. But with the new Nomad being officially introduced, I am curious: Nomad 3 c | Santa Cruz Bicycles

    Kinda looks like they're playing catch-up with Pivot's Mach 6, even the color options " Stealth Black"...really?
    Regardless, I will be demoing this bike.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: turfnsurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Has anyone here been on the new Hymasa trail yet? It is a singletrack climb up Amasa that gets you off the Jeep trail. Here is a great way to do the loop.

    Climb Amasa/Hymasa
    Descend Ahab

    Climb Hymasa/Amasa
    Hit Rockstacker/Jackson

    This gets you 2 great rides in one, where each is a bit short on its own. Climbing is not too difficult on Amasa, can't speak for Hymasa yet though.

    Hymasa Trail Construction. | Moab Mountain Bike Association
    That looks like a nice route, and a big ride. I did those as separate days last fall, Rockstacker/Jackson was a blast, but it kicked my a$$ cuz it was over 100 degrees. Two days later climbing Amasa (not Hymasa) and Down Ahab, it hailed on us. Be prepared for anything as far as weather is concerned!

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,663
    This is sounding better and better!

    Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,989
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    You are welcome to join us KRob. No brand snobbery at this event. If you shred you are one of us.
    Thanks Vik. I like shredded pork. Does that count?

  11. #36
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    That looks like a nice route, and a big ride. I did those as separate days last fall, Rockstacker/Jackson was a blast, but it kicked my a$$ cuz it was over 100 degrees. Two days later climbing Amasa (not Hymasa) and Down Ahab, it hailed on us. Be prepared for anything as far as weather is concerned!
    Probably not as big as you think. Stop and grab something to eat after Ahab and get back at it. Rockstacker/Jacksons in 100 degree heat? That would be pretty brutal with the sun reflecting off the rock, and this is coming from a guy in Phoenix that rides in 110+ throughout the summer.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ineedmorecowbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    84
    Curious as to why Moab? Do people still regard it as holy grail? Me personally prefer Fruita/Grand Junction if I'm going to do that kind of drive.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell View Post
    Curious as to why Moab? Do people still regard it as holy grail? Me personally prefer Fruita/Grand Junction if I'm going to do that kind of drive.
    Moab has a concentration of great riding and mountain bike services that make organizing an event much easier than other places.

    As the organizer I know Moab and Sedona well enough to make an event happen.

    Anywhere else in the desert I'm happy to come along as a participant, but I wouldn't be competent as a organizer.

    If someone else is passionate about organizing I'm totally fine with a different location.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ineedmorecowbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Moab has a concentration of great riding and mountain bike services that make organizing an event much easier than other places.

    As the organizer I know Moab and Sedona well enough to make an event happen.

    Anywhere else in the desert I'm happy to come along as a participant, but I wouldn't be competent as a organizer.

    If someone else is passionate about organizing I'm totally fine with a different location.
    Sorry dude, not trying to ruffle any feathers. New Pivot owner took a break from MTBR for awhile. I guess my question was off topic. Haven't been to Moab for a couple years curious if it's still the place to be.

  15. #40
    Knollician
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell View Post
    Sorry dude, not trying to ruffle any feathers. New Pivot owner took a break from MTBR for awhile. I guess my question was off topic. Haven't been to Moab for a couple years curious if it's still the place to be.
    Moab has gotten better in the past few years, and it continues to get even better. Moab is reinvesting in the MTB community as they understand the revenue it brings to them, Sedona is beginning to do the same, but is a bit behind Moab IMO. Moab has created numerous new trail systems, and has revised some old favorites. To my surprise, the work they did really didn't dumb down the trails, but rather made them more enjoyable. Worth a visit if you haven't been there in a few years.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell View Post
    Sorry dude, not trying to ruffle any feathers. New Pivot owner took a break from MTBR for awhile. I guess my question was off topic. Haven't been to Moab for a couple years curious if it's still the place to be.
    No offense at all. Totally legit question.

    Just explaining why Moab makes sense from the organizational perspective.

    ==============

    Just to expand [posted last night from my smartphone at a booooorrrrring meeting]:

    - I'm not suggesting Moab is "the" spot to ride the SW
    - if you go back to T'issers post about organizing a MTB event you'll see he lists lots of stuff to deal with
    - Moab offers very easy access to everything from accom to food to shuttle/guide service and they are used to dealing with tourists
    - we can camp in the middle of town or stay in hotels next to the campground
    - it's a short walk/ride to bike shops, bars, restaurants
    - there is lots of great riding close to town
    - everyone on a MTB knows Moab at least in name so when you want to start an event that's new and people are unsure of Moab gives them something familiar to anchor their expectations to
    - on a personal note my GF has never been to Moab and I want to show her the area
    - so I think Moab has a lot to offer for this gathering from everyone's point of view
    - assuming this year's edition of "Pivot-Fest" is a success and folks want to have more I dig the idea of visiting different locations
    - my only caveat to that is the person organizing should have been to the proposed location
    - so folks who are passionate about a particular spot and want to show it off can lead the charge to visit some cool places
    Last edited by vikb; 04-02-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    559
    Shockingly, I've got plans to be there the 11th-18th already so I'll definitely meet up with you guys a few days!! My old desert group is heading out there so I'll be riding, hiking and taking a Polaris RZR out during the week. We are all staying at the ArchView RV Resort.

    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Cool. I'm thinking of organizing a Pivot-Fest in Moab 11-16 Oct 2014. [edited]

    If anyone's keen on that let me know.

    It would be low key:

    - pancakes & bacon
    - epic riding
    - tacos & beer
    - repeat

    The event will have no cost, but you are on your own for hotel, pancake, bacon, tacos and beer!

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    559
    Bump....need to keep this near the top so people can see it and make plans!!

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Bump....need to keep this near the top so people can see it and make plans!!
    +1 - I am going to call the campground and organize a group site after the easter weekend. I'll post when that's done and you can just call them to book your spot.

    BTW - you don't need to have a Pivot to join the event. I'm not going to "market" it anywhere else, but if you are Pivot curious and don't yet have a Pivot or if you have some non-Pivot friends who want to come along - that's cool.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    One other thing....I'd like to make event t-shirts for those that would like one.

    I'm a good organizer, but a craptacular graphic artist.

    If anyone in this forum is a skilled with graphics and would help out I'll send you a free t-shirt if your design is the one that gets used.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,663
    Sweet

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193


    If you see any high res Pivot action pics we can use for the basis of the t-shirt send me a link. Something like the photo above with a light background we can stylize the bike/rider and make a cool logo, but we need a much bigger file than this one.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193


    Camping Update

    I called the Canyonlands Campground and have reserved 8 tent sites under "Pivot-Fest" arriving 11 Oct leaving on 17 Oct. Speak to Janey if you are having any issues getting folks to understand what you are after.

    I'm in site G13 and they are holding G6 to G12 for us. I'm going to call them at the end of May and see how bookings are to arrange for more or fewer spaces.

    If you plan to attend you need to call them at 435.259.6848 at book the site you want. They take a deposit of $33 for the first night. You can cancel a reasonable time in advance of the event [confirm details with them].

    Once you have booked a spot PM me so I know you are coming.

    I'll tee up the reservation in early June depending on how much interest or lack thereof there is. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a spot last minute in September, but it might be near the group or the type of spot you want so it pays to reserve early and cancel if your plans change.

    The campground is pretty central in Moab and is well serviced with a store, wifi, shower/toilets and a pool. You can stay there in a tent, RV or a cabin. There are also a couple hotels really close by for you to stay in as well if camping ain't your thing.

    I've stayed there a dozen times over the years and never had a bad stay.

    BTW - I'll be sorting out a shuttle service for the group in the summer so knowing you are coming would be helpful so I have a handle on numbers.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    393
    I'm trying to get my ride group to rally. It would be 5-10 of us. 5 of us bought new Pivots this year and this sounds like just the excuse we need to hit Moab. It'll be my first trip there, so I'm extra excited. I've been to Goose a few times and I heard Moab is even better. Thanks Vik for getting this started.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,193
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I'm trying to get my ride group to rally. It would be 5-10 of us. 5 of us bought new Pivots this year and this sounds like just the excuse we need to hit Moab. It'll be my first trip there, so I'm extra excited. I've been to Goose a few times and I heard Moab is even better. Thanks Vik for getting this started.
    Wow that would be a big crew. Happy to have any and all of you.

    I'm thinking I'll have 5 peeps I know personally attending.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Single pivot K2 attack vs dual pivot?
    By Tulok in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 01:51 AM
  3. Pivot Mach 5.7 pivot periodic maintenance
    By LeeL in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 10:03 PM
  4. 2008 Top Fuel rocker pivot and seat stay pivot torque?
    By SeaBass_ in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 06:26 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •