mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Pivot dw link bearings: do they need to be replaced more frequently then competitors?

Hey All,
    Im new to MTBR.

Im looking at purchasing a pivot mach 4 26 or 29, havent ridden one yet to decide, however a bike shop i went to, that used to distribute pivot, said that bearings in the DW Link regularly fail and lots of his customers would have to replace them. In comparison ive only changed my bearings in my 2007 stumpy twice, (but i havent been riding much in the last 2 years)
    Im about 90 kg (200 or so pounds), a bit of a clumsy rider, and likes to hit things pretty hard. Im 182 cm.

If you own/have owned a pivot can you provide a comment as to the accuracy of the bike shops comments? I know you should replace them every 12-18 months depending on use but he seemed to think they failed more frequently then others...

Ive also heard you cant get a bidden in the triangle of the new frames is this correct?
    Thanks for all your help.

Albro

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Rubbish comments and probably sour grapes from the bike shop for not selling them any more. I have a 4 year old Mach 5 and have yet to replace any of the bearings. I do pull them out every 6 months or so and pop the seals off to grease them so if you do a bit of maintenance there won't be an issue.

There were reports of a few dodgy bearings out there but thats just bad luck. Pivots are class bikes and well built. You just need to maintain them, after all they are ridden in dirt and mud.

All bike, all the time
    4 years of regular Firebird use, replaced bearings once (serviced twice). Not an issue I've heard of otherwise...
    All bike, all the time

change is good
    Sep 2004

Pivot dw link bearings: do they need to be replaced more frequently then compet

I ride in the winter and the bearings typically last at least a year which is definitely acceptable.

mtbr member
    Also depends where you live and ride. In the US Pacific NW I've needed to change annually. Note that I ride A LOT year round, so I see mud, muck, fine dust, etc. Bearings are sealed (Enduro) and are pretty inexpensive and easy to change. They do tend to skimp on the lube though, so just open the seal and add more lube before you install.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey All,
    Thanks for replying to my thread.
    Sounds like a typical scenario, bike parts are more likely to fail with greater use. Is anybody a similar weight to me, and may consider themselves a clumsy rider?

Otherwise i am tending towards what Vinno said "Sour grapes over losing the distributorship..."

DrDon, and JMW503, i agree with you guys too. If i am riding a lot in winter, in the mud, then expect more repairs. Personally i try to head to sandier areas in the wet here in Melbourne. And, well if its too wet. The 26 SS is always handy for fun.

Albro

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    3 years on a Firebird here, I haven't even considered looking at them yet... maybe I should? no noise, creaking, playing, nothing.

I do tend not to ride in wet/mud or dusty areas, so that certainly contributes to longevity. Mostly spending time at You Yangs or Mt Dandenong and avoid Lysterfeild when it rains.

mtbr member
    I've ridden my bird for 1.5 years heavy use, never had a problem- love the bike. I always describe Pivot this way- There are a lot of good bikes on the market, the pivots are GREAT bikes.

mtbr member
    I actually removed my bearings on my Mach 5 last week, expecting them to need replacing (2009 model, original bearings), but the bearing were still perfectly smooth, so I put them back in.

I don't ride in the mud (I prefer to not trash my local trails), so probably part of the reason.

mtbr member

I have two winters on my FB now. Lots of wet, muck and road grit. They are as smooth as day one. I'll do some PM and order up a set of Enduros after this summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

How are you guys checking them? Do you think it's enough to take the shock out and move the swing arm by hand and feel it? Otherwise obviously taking them out is the best way to be sure.

How hard is it to replace the bearings? I found it to be a nightmare on my Santa Cruz blur lt, absolutely required their custom tool and even then it was a bit tricky to get them all straight. I'd rather not do more harm than good just checking them.