mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Pivot Cycles Warranty on Firebird

When I took my Firebird to the shop to have all the bearing replaced the mechanics noticed a crack in the main triangle. On closer inspection I noticed another crack in the rear triangle. I purchased this bike 2/2010. Pivot replaced the frame in about a weeks time. I barely made it according to the 3 year warranty (2/2010 purchase) and I have no idea how long those cracks were in the frame.

Pivot's service is much appreciated and I hope a carbon Firebird is on the way soon! Definatley the best bike I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Pivot service is top notch.

My Opinion - YouTube
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yikes. I'm looking at a used Firebird. If you are out of warranty would they sell you the rear triangle or would you be SOL?

Is this common? I'm looking at a 2011 with 135mm dropouts.

mtbr member
    I would call them first, but I can't see why they wouldn't sell you a part if it breaks out of warranty. What company would do that to a customer?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I would call them first, but I can't see why they wouldn't sell you a part if it breaks out of warranty. What company would do that to a customer?
    A company that manufactures overseas, has changed the design, and has no way to make a new part?

That comes to mind.

I guarantee 95% of FS MTBs ever made now have frames that can't be replaced with an identical piece. Some companies like Specialized will give you a newer frame, but Pivot hasn't even been around long enough to know what they will do 5-10 years out.

My concern is if I buy a 3+ year old frame, and it cracks, am I SOL to even buy a new front or rear triangle? The answer is probably yes. Pivot is almost certainly like nearly every other manufacturer now: they contract with someone in Asia to make a frame to their design, and when the design changes, the ability to make the old design goes away. They may have a few replacements around, or they may not.

mtbr member
    FYI If you buy a used bike it MOST likely wont be covered under warranty. Pivot, Specialized or who ever...
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    FYI If you buy a used bike it MOST likely wont be covered under warranty. Pivot, Specialized or who ever...
    Some companies will warranty used, some won't, but my question is whether cracking is common on a 2010-11 era Firebird, and if it did crack, would Pivot even have a rear triangle they could *sell* to me?

The answer is probably no.

So if you own an out of warranty Pivot, you will probably be SOL if it cracks, regardless of why it is out of warranty. It is a crap shoot, as it is with most bikes, with some exceptions. I've heard of people getting frame replacements from Trek/Spec and a few others after the warranty would have dictated it, even if the bike was bought used. The early Trek Madone road frames are an example.

So again, is cracking common on this era of Firebird? If so, I'll pass on the used ones I have been looking at.
    Last edited by honkinunit; 03-15-2013 at 05:04 AM.

ZEN RIDER!
    Damn someone needs a beer or 3 lol.
    Research Pivot and you'll see their customer service is top notch
    as is their frames. As far as I know their hasn't been any issues with the Firebird.
    I beat the snot out of my 2011
    As with any pre-owned frame its going to depend on how hard it was used.
    There are some good deals on new out there, just have to be patient and keep a look out.
    Life in every breath

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    Turner did on an almost 4 year old frame that I bought back in 2010. While this certainly exceeded my expectations, I realize that for companies to stay in business it is less likely to occur nowadays.

Having great service that goes by the book on a specified period of time for warranty claim (original owner even) is fine by me; anything beyond that is honorable and appreciated IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The biggest thing from any smaller companies perspective is almost always customer service and brand loyalty. Now there are big differences from each and every company and what every buyer is looking for. Each and every warranty case must be looked at individually, and to say a blannket statment that companies do not warranty there product or that some larger shops just dont care about customer service I find is almost wrong. For every one that says it was a horrible experience you normally find the same amount saying how great they were. if this was not the case these businesses would be out of business in a hurry. Same goes for warranty work, if they replaced every frame for every person that called that would be alot of money ( barrring a recall of course) The customer who got told that their frame would not be warrantied is going to be upset. At the end of the day you really got to call each to see what they can and or will do for you.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    As far as the durability of the Firebird (which seems to go unanswered), mine is bombproof thus far. I have the '09 frame and I ride it like I stole it all the time.
    And to speak on customer service, anything you could want, they will do everything in their power to help and immediately too. Even on weekends. Even when they are on holidays. Or maybe I was just a special case.
    Firebird frame : 5 out of 5 stars
    Pivot Service : 6 out of 5 stars !!
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The only thing that's changed about the rear triangle is 135 -> 142 axle.

As to durability issues. The pre-2012 models are known to crack at the tower, and there is now a standard retrofit for this issue. I have also heard that the early carbon rockers (I think 2009) were beefed up in later models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Another broken Firebird carbon rocker

Don't forget to check the rocker...and also the pivot bolt.

My main pivot rocker bolt loosened and stripped the hole...I was out of warranty.

Luckily the car guy at work heard me bellyaching and told me about helicoil...

mtbr member
    If you you broke a 135mm dropout rear surely they'd sell you a 142mm rear end at a crash replacement cost, no?

mtbr member
    You guys should just call them up and ask. I've had the retrofit thing put on mine and a few little things like my derailleur spring disappearing and it's all gone very well.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    If you you broke a 135mm dropout rear surely they'd sell you a 142mm rear end at a crash replacement cost, no?
    Does the 142mm rear fit a frame that came with 135mm?

At the very least I would think you would need new links.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pivot Cycles Warranty on Firebird

Yes, the new rear triangle will fit the previous model (135mm spacing) firebird. As I understand, it fits with modifications required.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I broke both halves of my Firebird last fall. Pivot replaced under warrantee but Im using the same linkages and shock as the old frame. New frame is 142 and i can tell no difference in stiffens over my 135 funbolted wheel.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac View Post
    I broke both halves of my Firebird last fall. Pivot replaced under warrantee but Im using the same linkages and shock as the old frame. New frame is 142 and i can tell no difference in stiffens over my 135 funbolted wheel.
    Jeez, may I ask what you were doing?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Jeez, may I ask what you were doing?
    JRA.... Broke the front on both sides of the shock-tower/seat-tube that has since been reinforced. I didn't see the crack in the rear, Pivot found it when i sent it in. love the bike.
    Pivot Cycles Warranty on Firebird-322910_4016997304339_444638954_o-1-.jpg

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Oh so you have an older model, that makes sense then. Looks great in white like that with less decals!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled