mtbr member

Pivot customer service?

I don't know very much about Pivot. But, the new Switchblade in 27.5+ is looking really nice. How is their customer service?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As good as it gets ( owner of 4 past and 2 current Pivot bikes).

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Pivot has good CS. They pick up the phone. The answer emails. There many good bikes out there and the top companies typically have good CS, but the stiffness, DWL, and attention to detail made me keep coming back to Pivot. I didn't even consider buying a longer travel 29ers, but ordered a SB without a test ride and knowing the new hub standards and short ST is a real PITA. I've never tested any of the Pivot models I purchased except the first one. I'm hoping the SB works for me on east coast single track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I stopped by Pivot HQ in Dec. Everyone including the owner Chris C was very nice and seemed really motivated to put out a great product and supporting their customers.

I have had no warranty issues with my Mach 6 to test out Pivot's CS, but I'd happily drop another $7K+ on a Pivot.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I guess the only way to get a new one is through a bike shop? I'm not really thrilled about that.

Hey, wait up!
    I broke a bolt on my 429SL and emailed Pivot about needing a replacement. I was quite happy and satisfied with the response and follow up. (The bike is outstanding and has been essentially trouble free and easy to maintain over some 2,300 miles ridden so far).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've had nothing but stellar customer service from Pivot. I've dealt with Daniel and he was very accommodating and very understanding. It's on par with the best service I've received.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pivot has what i would consider to be great customer service, similar to a family owned company. I have had 4 pivots and they have been very quick to resolve any issues i have had.

mtbr member
    I can't say I got that great experience.
    My sag meter for 429T got lost somehow (presumably while I was placing it on the bike rack) and while they were quick to respond to my initial inquiry by directing me to their website for a replacement, I was out of luck since they only ship within USA and I couldn't order it.

When I asked how would I be able to get it in Europe they didn't respond at all.

As it's a small brand, it's next to impossible to find it online somewhere.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I can't say I got that great experience.
    My sag meter for 429T got lost somehow (presumably while I was placing it on the bike rack) and while they were quick to respond to my initial inquiry by directing me to their website for a replacement, I was out of luck since they only ship within USA and I couldn't order it.

When I asked how would I be able to get it in Europe they didn't respond at all.

As it's a small brand, it's next to impossible to find it online somewhere.
    I'm sorry to hear that they didn't respond to you. Did you try to ask the shop you bought the frame from to order you one? Most of our distributors order these parts as stock, and if they don't have it, they can order it in a few weeks. Please check that as we want you to be happy with your bike.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    I got it from an Austrian dealer but he doesn't stock the sag meter.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    I got it from an Austrian dealer but he doesn't stock the sag meter.
    The old distributor for Germany and Austria wasn't good and stocking anything. We fired them last month. Currently our distributor in France is handling sales into Germany.

MOHAWK'S CYCLES
    Parc des Barbanniers
    France
    +33 (0) 1 41 21 82 90
    http://www.mohawkscycles.fr
    acauchy@mohawks.eu

Alex is a great guy and will happily help you get a replacement sag indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My buddy doesn't have an account here, so I'm posting this for him. He's had a very poor experience, to the point that he's done with them, and my pending purchase will now go to another brand. He broke a year old Les, and they don't have any 2016 models left. So, they'll replace it with a 2017, but it has a Boost rear end, and his wheels aren't convertible. They told him he'll just have to buy new wheels, or he can pay an additional $820 for a 429SL. They told his shop that they would charge the shop $680, and they should charge him the $820, but the shop said they would just charge him what they had in it. In all of my 20+ years of shop experience I never had a company act this way. Specialized, who everyone loves to pile drive, actually had to buy me 2 forks because their standards changed. So, if they change the standard on something that has a 3 year warranty, they should keep enough back stock on hand for warranty situations. If my car blows the motor up after a year, Honda isn't going to make me pay extra for a motor because they changed the sparkplugs. If Pivot isn't smart enough, a strong enough company, or business savvy enough to keep enough warranty stock on hand during the complete warranty period, then they need to bite the bullet to keep their customers happy. It boggles my mind that they didn't just offer him the 429, no ifs, ands or buts. And not only that, when my buddy called to talk to the inside rep, he wouldn't budge a dime off of the price, saying it wasn't up for negotiation. I told my buddy to just get the Les and go buy a Transition, a company of riders that supports their customers. He may just do that if Pivot doesn't make it right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman View Post
    So, they'll replace it with a 2017, but it has a Boost rear end, and his wheels aren't convertible. They told him he'll just have to buy new wheels, or he can pay an additional $820 for a 429SL.
    ^^^ this is normal warranty support. If the frame breaks they owe you a new frame....not wheels and other components if there had been spec changes.

Now sure it would be super nice of them to throw in the wheels and maybe some other company might on the right day, but if he is ditching Pivot in the expectation another company will treat him differently if the same thing happened again he's likely to be disappointed.

FWIW he doesn't need new wheels he needs a new rear hub and to have the rear wheel laced up again. Depending on his hub he may be able to just buy a conversion kit. I know they are available for my hub and are not particularly expensive.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    ^^^ this is normal warranty support. If the frame breaks they owe you a new frame....not wheels and other components if there had been spec changes.

Now sure it would be super nice of them to throw in the wheels and maybe some other company might on the right day, but if he is ditching Pivot in the expectation another company will treat him differently if the same thing happened again he's likely to be disappointed.

FWIW he doesn't need new wheels he needs a new rear hub and to have the rear wheel laced up again. Depending on his hub he may be able to just buy a conversion kit. I know they are available for my hub and are not particularly expensive.
    ^^^^ I totally agree, plus they are offering you the latest frame. I would have jumped at that deal and told my wife i need to get a new set of wheels.

mtbr member

No.
    They owe him a functional bike.
    I had few friends in similar situations.
    One had his aluminium cube frame break replaced by carbon model and got a seatpost for free since it was different diameter.

Pivot should offer new hub and wheel rebuild on top at least, it costs them peanuts and keeps the good public image.

Free 429 would be too much to ask but 680 isn't that bad to upgrade to a nice FS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    No.
    They owe him a functional bike.
    I had few friends in similar situations.
    One had his aluminium cube frame break replaced by carbon model and got a seatpost for free since it was different diameter.

Pivot should offer new hub and wheel rebuild on top at least, it costs them peanuts and keeps the good public image.

Free 429 would be too much to ask but 680 isn't that bad to upgrade to a nice FS.
    You cannot be serious? They owe him a frame only as that is their product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First off, his wheels are Mavics, so no hub replacement is possible, and they don't even have Boost wheels yet.
    Second, I highly disagree, as does my friend, with anyone that says they only owe him a new frame. This bike was a year old, and extremely lightly ridden, and a bike he was perfectly happy with. I'd say it had less than 500 miles on it, and he doesn't want a new bike, or new wheels. So you're saying that since your product with a 3 year warranty broke that it's up to the owner to have to change out parts that he's perfectly happy with and no intention of trading out because your company didn't keep any warranty stock on hand? I believe you'd think otherwise if your mint condition frame broke and they told you that after shop labor, shipping etc that it would cost you $1000 to get the suspension frame, or whatever a set of Boost wheels cost to stay with the Les frame. I'd be pissed if it was me. This bike doesn't have a scratch on it and they're telling him he needs to come up with that much cash because of their broken frame.
    The main deal is that he doesn't even want it for free, he just wants them to meet in the middle, which they aren't willing to do. The difference in retail of the frames is $1,000, and he said he'd pay $500, and they said it wasn't a negotiation. I'd tell them to pound sand, which I will do by buying another brand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have had 5 pivot bikes, 2 of them i cracked the frames and both times pivot offered me a new frame upgrade for free or at a minimal cost. I jumped at the upgrade both times and had them within a week. I had to upgrade some of the components at my cost, but considering i had already put about 3-4k miles on the frames by the time i cracked them, I considered it a wash.

Pivot service has been great to me and I will continue giving them my business until the time comes where they no longer back their products or when a frame comes along that pushes the bar a little higher.

mtbr member
    Specialized, who everyone loves to pile drive, actually had to buy me 2 forks because their standards changed
    The big S-hit company may have chosen to, but they didn't have to. Car companies have to, by law, offer replacement parts for a certain amount of time. I think it's ten years. So, changing standards don't apply there. Bike companies don't have to, and they definitely don't have to replace other stuff because of changed standards, nor should they.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If this bike was older or ridden more, he'd probably consider it a wash too, but it's barely broken in. Regardless, happy you had good service, and I'm surprised my buddy didn't, cause I've only heard good things for the most part. I don't want to start a big debate here, just wanted to give the OP some insight into my buddy's experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If this bike was older or ridden more, he'd probably consider it a wash too, but it's barely broken in. Regardless, happy you had good service, and I'm surprised my buddy didn't, cause I've only heard good things for the most part. I don't want to start a big debate here, just wanted to give the OP some insight into my buddy's experience.
    Understood. I might add i live in rio verde, az and therefore i am close to pivot; so that might have something to do with the level of service I get from them.

I have also had spec, ibis and Turner bikes and only Turner came close to the level of service i get from Pivot.

mtbr member
    Second, I highly disagree, as does my friend, with anyone that says they only owe him a new frame.
    He and you can disagree with the situation all you want, but if you read the Pivot warranty it only covers the frame.

Without knowing all the details it's not possible to parse this situation any further. For all we know Pivot felt it was a questionable warranty claim they might normally have turned down and decided to go the extra mile and replace the frame anyways.

Not saying that's what did happen, but there would be no way for us to know if that was the case.

Having been involved in a few warranty situations at work there is more than just one side to the story.

All that said I totally respect your right to spend your money with another company.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    You cannot be serious? They owe him a frame only as that is their product.
    I am. He bought the bike and not the frrameset.
    They're responsible because they sold him the complete bike.

It's their own fault for not stocking replacement frames while the bike was still under warranty.

One would imagine that all that premium people pay for boutique brands goes to support as well as offsetting smaller economies of scale.

mtbr member
    Pivot as a manufacturer replaced the frame under warranty which was their responsibility.

Everything else falls on the LBS to resolve since that is where the bike was purchased. I'm sure they would offer a hub at cost or maybe an even exchange along with a free or greatly reduced rebuild. That's the benefit working with LBS.

EDventure

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I am. He bought the bike and not the frrameset.
    They're responsible because they sold him the complete bike.

It's their own fault for not stocking replacement frames while the bike was still under warranty.

One would imagine that all that premium people pay for boutique brands goes to support as well as offsetting smaller economies of scale.
    In America, with Pivot's warranty, this does not hold true. Kind of sucks though if the frame was used "normally" for about a year. Building a new wheel set is a PITA, especially if you're on a tight budget. I would use a boost conversion kit.

I walked away from Pivot briefly when they wouldn't replace my 429C with the newly released back ordered 429T. I received the SL, which is more expensive. Technically, they did honor the warranty. Eventually I sold my Fuel EX and Following and I'm now on a 429T and Switch Blade

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was riding in a small town in the middle of Australia when my link system broke. Pivot, through its dirtibutuor here Jet Black, sent a new linkage to the town and had me up and running in less than a week. I think the company is awesome and have never had an issue with warrantee or service.

Keep on Rockin...

Agree.

Recently broke a Santa Cruz TBLTc and very happily accepted a newer frame with updated tech - Boost rear, despite not mating with my existing rear hub.

I doubt most bike manufactorers operate on the kind of volume and profit margin that would allow them to meet the expectations of the OP. I always figured this sort of thing was obvious and went without saying. Even if it was not an obvious assumption Pivot's response is reasonable, and even if you don't like it, it's still reasonable, so don't point the finger.

mtbr member
    Here in EU, by law you need to get same equal or better product as a replacement or your money back.
    So same would be new Les, but since it's got new rear end nobody would expect you to shell out hundreds of euros for a new rear wheel.

It's like buying a new phone and then after it breaking down the manufacturer only offers you new model that you would need to pay more in order to get it.
    Or, buying let's say lens for Canon and then you get a Nikon mount replacement requiring you to pay up to change the mount. Screw that.
    You as a customer shouldn't have to spend a dime to get your stuff fixed and into working order if it's still under warranty. All shipping expenses should be paid by the seller/manufacturer.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Here in EU, by law you need to get same equal or better product as a replacement or your money back.
    So same would be new Les, but since it's got new rear end nobody would expect you to shell out hundreds of euros for a new rear wheel.

It's like buying a new phone and then after it breaking down the manufacturer only offers you new model that you would need to pay more in order to get it.
    Or, buying let's say lens for Canon and then you get a Nikon mount replacement requiring you to pay up to change the mount. Screw that.
    You as a customer shouldn't have to spend a dime to get your stuff fixed and into working order if it's still under warranty. All shipping expenses should be paid by the seller/manufacturer.
    Now we are debating different types of political paradigms. The US is much more capitalistic than socialistic. Regardless, the warranty is what it is and wishing for things to be different rarely accomplishes anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Now you state that. I was wondering where that mentality was coming from, either you were a millenial or you had some mixed up system of logical thinking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    Now you state that. I was wondering where that mentality was coming from, either you were a millenial or you had some mixed up system of logical thinking.
    I'm thinking both!

mtbr member
    I've had (2) bad dealings with HQ and one nice one with their guys running the demo tent.

Bad deal #1: Lost Pivot bolt so I called their HQ and was told I had to go to a local dealer (closest one to me is 50 miles away). The employee put me on hold and said she called the shop and was told they had the part in stock. I happened to be going that way over the weekend so I stopped at the shop. The shop looked at me like I was an alien and said "we don't stock those and you have to order a whole set, you can't get just one bolt". So I call back on to Pivot on Monday and tell the same girl my story. She talked to me like I bothering her when her job was customer service.

Issue #2: Fast forward 18-24 months and I decided I want to put the upgraded linkage on my Mach 6. I first called the same shop and of course, they said we don't know what yore talking about and said I should call Pivot. I call Pivot and get the same employee. Once again, she tells me I have to order from a shop. I explain that they are the ones that told me to call Pivot. She then tells me to call Competitive Cyclist and even gives me the part # to ask for. I call Competitive Cyclist and they tell me that part # isn't in their system and I need to call Pivot. See a pattern here? I call Pivot AGAIN and she tells me she will call CC and tell them what part I need...INSTEAD OF JUST SELLING ME THE PART!!! She tells me to expect a call from CC in the next 24-48 hours. Guess what, no call. I gave up and still use the old linkage.

I love their bikes and would buy another Mach 6 for sure but their customer service SUCKS in my experience. Based on what I've seen thru my friends issues, Intense has been the best with Ibis right on their heels.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    ^ If you have a problem with an employee like that, ask to talk to their supervisor. That, for me, has always solved the problem.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Pivot is experiencing growing pains. My recent and past experiences have been very good with one annoyance. My past and current LBS are very good which helps when trying to obtain very specific goals with Pivot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah i have also had zero issue with customer service. hell they even helped me out on a sunday. pivot bikes are awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I've had (2) bad dealings with HQ and one nice one with their guys running the demo tent.

Bad deal #1: Lost Pivot bolt so I called their HQ and was told I had to go to a local dealer (closest one to me is 50 miles away). The employee put me on hold and said she called the shop and was told they had the part in stock. I happened to be going that way over the weekend so I stopped at the shop. The shop looked at me like I was an alien and said "we don't stock those and you have to order a whole set, you can't get just one bolt". So I call back on to Pivot on Monday and tell the same girl my story. She talked to me like I bothering her when her job was customer service.

Issue #2: Fast forward 18-24 months and I decided I want to put the upgraded linkage on my Mach 6. I first called the same shop and of course, they said we don't know what yore talking about and said I should call Pivot. I call Pivot and get the same employee. Once again, she tells me I have to order from a shop. I explain that they are the ones that told me to call Pivot. She then tells me to call Competitive Cyclist and even gives me the part # to ask for. I call Competitive Cyclist and they tell me that part # isn't in their system and I need to call Pivot. See a pattern here? I call Pivot AGAIN and she tells me she will call CC and tell them what part I need...INSTEAD OF JUST SELLING ME THE PART!!! She tells me to expect a call from CC in the next 24-48 hours. Guess what, no call. I gave up and still use the old linkage.

I love their bikes and would buy another Mach 6 for sure but their customer service SUCKS in my experience. Based on what I've seen thru my friends issues, Intense has been the best with Ibis right on their heels.
    you need to get yourself a new mach 6 man. how's your buddy like my old one haha

mtbr member
    I've called them a few times for some parts such as that m6 linkage, bolts etc.. and was pointed to my dealer every time. It's annoying I don't understand why they can't just take care of the issues without going to a third party. I'm paying for the product not like I'm begging for freebies.

I've had a Pivot 5.7, m6, m4 and a Vault so pretty loyal customer but have jump ship to Ibis and Santa Cruz in the past year. They do a great job of taking care of me directly.

With that said new firebird is hot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I call Pivot and get the same employee. Once again, she tells me I have to order from a shop. I explain that they are the ones that told me to call Pivot. She then tells me to call Competitive Cyclist and even gives me the part # to ask for. I call Competitive Cyclist and they tell me that part # isn't in their system and I need to call Pivot. See a pattern here? I call Pivot AGAIN and she tells me she will call CC and tell them what part I need...INSTEAD OF JUST SELLING ME THE PART!!! She tells me to expect a call from CC in the next 24-48 hours. Guess what, no call. I gave up and still use the old linkage.
    Coming from a former industry exec, the problem is likely due to their sales software and accounting system and similar to another post, a symptom of the growth they've been experiencing.

Typically, any part or component that is 'sold' has to be attached to a account i.d. with specific pricing (gold/silver/bronze/new account) with little or no provision for retail pricing (even on a warranty or customer service replacement, a price must be attached to keep the books balanced. In this case (again - speculating), the amount of time to create a new account for you is the same amount of work for a new LBS - not efficient and why you've likely been referred to a LBS as they cannot realistically create (potentially) hundreds of accounts to deal with $5 - $50 sales that would blow up their database.

That said, I am sure they are working on a solution as my experiences with them have been nothing short of industry leading. Hope you'll stick it out with them and give them a little room to satisfactorily solve the issue.

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is a grey area when it comes to warranty practices. In a perfect world, you would get back something that works with your parts OR whatever it takes to make it work, rather than "here's half a bike, buy the rest".

It can be hard making the case for something that is not obvious, but is just as much a warranty issue, such as poor bearing design that ovalizes holes, design that bends shock bolts, eats shocks due to sideloads, etc. Often times the manufacturer doesn't want to admit there's a problem, so they deny the warranty.

In the MTB world, if you get a new frame, even if it uses new standards, you usually consider yourself lucky. Exceptional customer service and support would be making it work for your parts or exchanging for the necessary ones. Unfortunately, the warranty terms say they will only replace the frame. They aren't a "bike" company, like Specialized, really they are only a frame company, so it's fairly legit for them to act like this, it just sucks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    you need to get yourself a new mach 6 man. how's your buddy like my old one haha
    He's loving it. They just did a Park City to Sun Valley to Hurricane trip the last (2) weeks.
    2017 Pivot 5.5
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    k2rider1964 - Do you feel the 5010 and M6 are too similar?

I own a 5010 and rented a M6 while in Sedona. Loved the bike but wonder if there's too much overlap.

Thanks,

EDventure