mtbr member

Pivot 5.7 alum and bottom brackets

Just an FYI to all 5.7 alum owners, we are limited on bottom bracket choices. After replacing my SRAM bottom bracket for the 3rd time I decided to try RWC. To my disappointment it will not work. Pivot has put some bracing in the bottom bracket area that doesn't allow the larger diameter RWC center pipe to clear. Doesn't look good for Chris King either as their design is the same.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have been running a RWC BB in my aluminum 5.7 for more than a year. It installed with no issues. Not sure if there have been updates to the aluminum 5.7 and/or the RWC BB since that create a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 2011 and the bottom bracket has a lip on the back side that would not allow the RWC to clear. The SRAM clears because the center section is a lot smaller. Maybe they changed something that allows your to clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last year's discussion about Press fit BBs: best BB92 press-in bottom bracket for M5.7c
    Superstar has Pressfit BB's now as well but I haven't tried them or even seen one yet.

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbcol View Post
    I have a 2011 and the bottom bracket has a lip on the back side that would not allow the RWC to clear. The SRAM clears because the center section is a lot smaller. Maybe they changed something that allows your to clear.
    The older style of Enduro bottom brackets should work, but the new angular contact style with the KCNC aluminum shells will not fit in an aluminum mach 5.7. The center section of the Enduro BB doesn't step down enough to clear the flat section inside the bottom bracket shell. Specifically, these won't fit:
    PRESS-IN BOTTOM BRACKETS, CERAMIC HYBRID

mtbr member
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but wanted to confirm the same issue with my 2009 Mach429 and the PF24 Chris King Bottom Bracket. The middle of the bottom bracket shell has an offset diameter which interferes with the large CK BB sleeve.

Name:  Mach429 Bottom Bracket.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  34.7 KB

I just installed the CK BB without the sleeve. The risk is that the bearings are not sealed on the inside of the BB without the sleeve. However, as I see it, the only path for water to get in would be from the downtube. I've already taped over the water bottom bosses, so entry would very unlikely. And, since the CK BB is serviceable, I plan on flushing it with grease at least once a season.

Installation went quite well once the old XTR BB was out. The non-drive-side went out with 2 whacks, while the drive-side took a lot more effort. I removed as much Loctite as I could with a tiny wire wheel and a dremel before installing the new BB with anti-seize. It's going to be until spring before I ride again, but the fit was similar to a headset, so I'm not worried.

Oh, since it's been 5 years of riding the Mach429 (never in the wet), I figured it was time to service all moving parts. The headset was been upgraded to a Cane Creek 110, after returning a Chris King Grip-Lock Inset 7. I noticed that even with the Grip-Lock design, Chris King still relies upon an o-ring to apply load on the bearings. And when the o-ring creeps over time, I would expect creaking to occur. The new 110 is so much more elegant anyway.

The suspension bearings are also being replaced. Even though I only ride in the dry, many of the bearing were crunchy.

Shock DU bushings were replaced with bearings from RWC a few years ago, but I'll shoot some new grease in there while the bike is apart.
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Since the 429 has an interrupted seat tube, I removed the sleeve because it is more likely to keep water in than keep water out. After the first XTR seized up, I installed the RWC (old model) and had problems with the tolerances between it and my bb shell. The bearings were smooth when out of the bike, but under the compression of the shell they were really rough. I had to shave some of the derlin out of the RWC so that it was smooth once inserted. Will probably just go with the updated XTR next time, as I like the derlin surface against the crank spindle. My RWC creaks, although I don't know if it's the crank spindle creaking in the bb bearings or the shell itself creaking. BB92 sucks.