mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Pivot 429sl v. Spesh Sworks FSR 29

Thoughts? My alloy 429 got stolen and my local dealer has a M Sworks on a discount that would put it at the same price of an xx1 429. What are the major differences, if any between these two?

I ride the colorado front range and Moab. I don't do huge drops, but love to fly down rocky terrain and catch a bit of air on occasion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sorry to hear your 429 got stolen. I've felt that pain a few more times than I'd like.
    Both bikes are great for XC and the Pivot to my mind has more capability to handle more demanding trails.

A friend of mine had an Epic and it simply is a rocketship. Not plush by any FS standard but if you want to cane trails and leave things in your wake, there's little that will help you like a well set up Epic.
    That said it's more race XC than trail, the Brain will need a service once a year which for my friend saw him without it for about 2 weeks (which is fine if you have another bike), and in SWorks spec there's precious little to change on it.

The Pivot is plush yet efficient, and the suspension design means no proprietary shock needs to be used. No Brain to service or wory about.
    They'll take a 120mm fork and still climb beautifully and be far more confidence inspiring (in my opinion of course).

If it were me, I'd go Pivot. But I don't race, and this is a Pivot forum. :^)

Two great bikes and of course you need to ride them to know which will work best for you.
    Happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the info. The SWorks FSR is an all-mountain compared to the XC epic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sorry fella. You didn't specify which Sworks and I presumed Epic.
    If it's the Camber, Camber Evo or Stumpjunper then it's a different thing.
    The Camber is excellent. A friend has one and aside from the alloy bars (easy fix) it's perfect. Might not be as stiff as a Pivot but you can ride everything on it. It's quick everywhere.

The Evo and Stumpjumper are just more capable downhill generally. And you trade some climbing speed as a result.

Which bike did you have in mind?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It's the SWorks FSR non-evo. This bike:

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well the friend of mine who has owned the Camber and the Epic now has the Stumpjumper FSR.
    He bought it for trails and general fun times. He's still quick on it but he says it is much harder on climbs than the Epic and Camber.
    A great bike and very capable but from his feedback, and that of friends with the 429c the Pivot has a broader range of capability. And despite the 100mm travel it's more than capable in demanding situations.

The Stumpjumper is happier downhill but will climb really well. Note that the suspension is very active compared to DW Link, which is why they have a version with the Brain to help with climbs.
    Great bike though and the carbon rims are wonderful!

Nice problem to have and you won't regret either one IMHO.

Long Live the Gorn!
    That Spec is a nice bike have a friend with one. You need to have a good Spesh shop around because when that Brain needs to be serviced... it has to be sent into factory and with either the Shop has a loaner or you are out until it is returned. That said, I have a freind with the Epic and a with that exact same bike... they are both excellent bikes. That FSR is a pretty beef bike, it has the 34 Fork (Nice) ... I have not ridden it but but we were pretty neck and neck. Me owning a pivot I am partial to the DW Link and Stiffness when I get on other bikes i "feel" different maybe a lick less efficient. But hey... you got a great but hard choice to make.

MTB Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar View Post
    It's the SWorks FSR non-evo. This bike:

Specialized Bicycle Components
    FSR is what specialized calls their rear suspension.

The one you are looking at is the Stumpjumper FSR. Epics also say FSR on the rear chainstay. Epic is the XC race bike and the full suspension Stumpjumper has more trail bike oriented. Both great bikes.