Thread: Pivot 429 size

mtbr member
    May 2008

Pivot 429 size

Hi! Iīm 5ī7".Actually I use a Moots Rigormootis and Itīs perfect fit for me.

Which size do you recomended? Small or Medium?

Thanks

Fat & Single
    Work it out on ETT, im 5'9ish and went a med with a 70mm stem.

I would say small .
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    I would say small as well. Top tube on the small is 23, and the seat tube is 17.

I'm 6'1" and would ride a medium.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

not so super...
    Better find a demo. I too am 5'7" and really liked the fit of the medium I rode yesterday (review notes in 29'r forum if you care).
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Better find a demo. I too am 5'7" and really liked the fit of the medium I rode yesterday (review notes in 29'r forum if you care).

SSinga, I live in Barcelona (Spain) and the spanish dealer donīt have this frame in stock.In Europe the dealers only import 26" not 29er...I canīt test it!

Rider and Wrench
    I am just under 5'9" and am running a Med. 429 with a 90mm stem (I plan on giveing an 80mm stem a try in the future). I have a ~29 1/2 -30" inseam and fairly long torso/arms so the longer than average top tube on the medium and only 1/4" of standover difference between the Sm and Med is a very nice match. But I am definitely on the cusp of sizing

I am sure you have already read it but Pivot's tech info says they design a medium bike around a 5' 11" rider and while they clearly indicate it all depends on the ride style etc... but this is a 5" difference in your case.

This is by no means replaces the ability to test ride one but it seems you don't have that choice so I'll try to offer some general opinions- If you have longer legs and short upper body the medium could be a stretch, for a more "average" build or longer upper body and if you like a traditional XC "flat back" stretched feel then you might prefer the Med. If you want a bike that you can toss around a bit more and riding some extreame trails then maybe the small will suit you.

I have wondered though how the ~.5 slacker head angle might feel combined with a 120mm fork on the small...
    I Just wish I could ride more!