Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Phoenix thoughts

So I have a firebird. Friggin awesome ride. But I've come to a conclusion that I need something more resortable.
    Thing is I want to have fun with it on some of my neighborhood trails. These have some steep climbs both on road and singletrack. The DH sections are lots of fun and the firebird does a great job. But if I have a Phoenix also I know I'll want to hit some of those on it.
    How well do you think it would climb with a dropper post and 1x10. Something along the lines of a 32 th chainring with 11/36 in back.
    I'll bet I could muscle that thing up the mountain.
    Guess what I'm really asking is it stoopid to use it for some local DH trails without shuttling. I just know I won't be able to get to the resorts all the time. Hopefully every other weekend. Then have the FB for the all day epics and maybe lighten it up a tad.

Just thinking.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    If you are familiar with South Mountain trails here in Phoenix, and the famous National Trail, well, Kenny climbs up that trail on his Phoenix all the time. The bike is the best climbing DH bike I've ever been on - but talk to Kenny as he has spent more time on other DH bikes, and can tell you exactly what to expect.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Thanks Dan. I'm sure he'll chime in sooner or later.

I do what I want
    Ive asked similar question before...
    Phoenix DH - Hmmmm all mountain?

Here are some of the more insightful and helpful answers I got...

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Personally and this is pure speculation, your climbs better be easy smooth road up to the top. I just don't think and world cup DH rig will make for a very versatile All Mountain ride. The fireturd is way more capable of that role.
    Again this is just my opinion and pure speculation as I have No saddle time on the Phoenix.
    I say good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTICLAY
    Well get one already and build it to 34lbs. Sheesh!
    Funny as hell even you replied to one of my threads about same thing
    thoughts on future bike setup: AM content
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRide
    Don't you think that seat tube angle is gonna be a bit too slack for climbing?
    Actual useful reply
    Quote Originally Posted by KenBentit
    I've climbed up National trail on mine several times. It's MUCH easier with a single crown but still takes some effort since there's only one ring. I'd liken it to singlespeed riding since you can't just sit and spin very much.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, it's totally feasible to climb with it especially with a 1X10 gear ratio. I would highly recommend a single crown fork for climbing though. The dual crown basically requires a bowlegged style of riding to get uphill. Longer post would also help with that but I haven't really tried it much (the gravity dropper was the first thing I swapped out)...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    @ Guy. Guess you got me thinking and since I have the FB for the all day epics, I just thought I could pedal up a few dirt roads for a few local DH runs when it's not possible to make the trip out to the resorts.

@ Ken. So a dropper post would help a lot. Would that cure the bowlegged climbing technique?

Pivotal figure
    The dropper would help for sure but you'll still have to watch the knees a little. Mine felt amazing with the 180mm TALAS on it...

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    @ Guy. Guess you got me thinking and since I have the FB for the all day epics, I just thought I could pedal up a few dirt roads for a few local DH runs when it's not possible to make the trip out to the resorts.

@ Ken. So a dropper post would help a lot. Would that cure the bowlegged climbing technique?
    Oh please dont misinterpret my post, I think using the Phoenix as an AM bike is a great idea, Im still highly considering it. I dont get why people complain that it cant be an AM bike because its 8" travel and a little portly. Hell the Highline was used by many people as AM bike and weighed 11lbs with coil shock. Go for it, screw the naysayers!!!
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    Just do it already. Heck, after hurting my back (again) I'm thinking of getting something with a lil more travel for trail riding. I don't mind climbing slow. I do mind getting down the trail slow

Just make sure you photo-document the whole build and do a few gopro vids too and post it all here.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    Oh I think it would be a great AM type bike for the right person. I'd have a hard time if that was my only bike but I also like to do 25 mile rides with plenty of climbing. I rode a 42lb Stinky Primo for 4 years as my main ride and did fine with it (even with a Super T Pro and 2.5 DH tires!) so the Phoenix is well within my realm of "reasonable". Whatever that means

mtbr member
    HHMMMMM. really got me thinking about this.

29er/SS = XC rides with the wifeypoo

FIrebird w/180fork = all day epics shreddin trail

Phoenix = resort + dirt road climbs to local DH goodness.

This may work.

Ken, what gearing you running Fr + Rr? (phoenix)

Pivotal figure
    I'm running 9 speed with a 36t ring and 11-32 cass.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I'm running 9 speed with a 36t ring and 11-32 cass.
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mans gearing me likey!!! Im so over whiners running 32 x 11-36 and asking for 30t rings, UGH, go back to triples ya sissies! Your roxor ken!
    Guy.Ford

mtbr member
    I'd be tempted to put a HS on there... but maybe it would like like poo and kick your feet off the pedals.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    The high gears only hurt for the first few rides. After that it feels normal. Honest

mtbr member
    I'm a wuss. I was thinking 11-36 rear and then having 2 chainrings for different applications. 32 or 34 for local climbing in Colorado. Most of my climbs will start at 8500 ft and top out around 10500. Then a 38 for resort days.

Guess I'm not nearly the animal Ken is.

Pivotal figure
    Meh, I'd put an 11-34 if I weren't so good at procrastinating

mtbr member
    Dan or Ken

Do you have a spec list for the Complete bike at this time. Dan Mentioned Sram.
    WIll DT1750 wheels be an option?

Pivotal figure
    I haven't seen a spec list yet but I'm betting those wheels will be an option for sure. All the demo bikes are running them right now.

mtbr member
    Take this mini pedal review with a huge grain of salt.
    I had the chance to pedal a Phoenix today at my LbS demo day.
    Mind you this was done on flats wearing flip flops and no helmet. The test track wasn't much to speak of and was pretty flat.
    Must say I'm very impressed with the way this bike pedaled.
    Guy Ford is right when he says this can be built as a HD all mountain stead.
    It felt like a portly FB but accelerated just as well.
    I WANT ONE!

My only concern is sizing. The Pivot rep. I believe his name was Josh ( thanks for taking the time to talk and set me up ) said I'd be best off on a large frame. I'm 5'11" and wondered I that would indeed be the way to go. The med felt nice and nimble.

mtbr member
    I love my firebird but I really want a Phoenix for my trips to Whistler this summer. I have 2 bikes for when one is totally out of commission (like right now). I know the FB is the best compromise but can't stop thinking a Phoenix would be OK with a hammerschmidt or with 11-36/32 and a Float or VAN 180.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    You should see how it feels with a 180mm Single crown....
    As for sizing, it really comes back to personal preference and intended use. I'm a bit over 6' but I ride a Med. The Lg feels much more "open" to me but I really like a compact feel. If you plan to use it as burly pedal rig then I'd say go for the Large. Knee clearance on uphills is pretty tight, especially with a DC fork (go figure).

mtbr member
    My firebird is gonna have a 180 soon so if I had a Phoenix swapping forks around would be cool to try.
    32 or 34 tooth front ring and 11/36 rear. very doable climber.

Ken, what size are you riding?

Pivotal figure
    Med for both the Bird and Phoenix. Tried Large for both but prefer the tighter feel. My knees occasionally disagree but I just turn up the volume on my iPod

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    Take this mini pedal review with a huge grain of salt.
    I had the chance to pedal a Phoenix today at my LbS demo day.
    Mind you this was done on flats wearing flip flops and no helmet. The test track wasn't much to speak of and was pretty flat.
    Must say I'm very impressed with the way this bike pedaled.
    Guy Ford is right when he says this can be built as a HD all mountain stead.
    It felt like a portly FB but accelerated just as well.
    I WANT ONE!

My only concern is sizing. The Pivot rep. I believe his name was Josh ( thanks for taking the time to talk and set me up ) said I'd be best off on a large frame. I'm 5'11" and wondered I that would indeed be the way to go. The med felt nice and nimble.
    Thanks.
    Guy.Ford

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast