mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Phoenix Shock Stroke & Spring Rate

Hi All,
    I've had a search, and couldn't find anything specific to my question, so I figured I would start a new thread.

It looks highly likely that I'll be acquiring a new Phoenix frame in the early stages of next week, so I wanted to ask current owners (or the Pivot guys that hang out here) the following:

What's the Eye-to Eye, shock stroke & leverage ratio of the Phoenix?

And what spring would you recommend for a 72kg - 75kg rider (depending on the week & amount of gear )? I'm guessing either a 300lb or 350lb, but would like to get an idea of what other Phoenix riders are running.

Cheers in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi there,
    not a complete answer but hope this help.

Spring Weight recommendations for RC4 Coil Shocks on the Phoenix DH:
    Rider Weight: 130-160lbs Spring Weight: 300lb coil
    Rider Weight: 160-190lbs Spring Weight: 350lb coil
    Rider Weight: 190-220lbs Spring Weight: 400lb coil
    Rider Weight: 220-250lbs Spring Weight: 450lb coil

Setting Rebound, Bottom Out, Boost Valve, High Speed Compression and Low Speed Compression damping adjustments on RC4 Coil Shocks for Phoenix DH: In general, for a rider between 160-180lbs, we recommend the following baseline settings:
    Rebound: 5 clicks out from all the way in
    High Speed Compression: 7 clicks out from all the way in
    Low Speed Compression: 10 clicks out from all the way in
    Bottom Out: Two turns in on the reservoir.
    Boost Valve: A good starting Boost Valve pressure is 160psi. We do not recommend going below 130psi on the Phoenix DH.

Pivotal figure
    Eye to eye on the RC4 is 9.5, stroke is 3". My spring is a 350#x 3.25 stroke and I weigh 185 lbs (approx 84kg). What size frame are you getting? The springs that come on the bike are selected for the average rider weight so it may already be where you need it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers for the info all! Thaose graphs are certainly detailed (and, truth be told, I'm not sure I totally understand what they're all saying!).

Ken, I'm going for a Medium frame. I'm not sure what's on there at the moment, but if it's got a 350lb, I'll try that and see how it goes.

Something I've been thinking about is a Vivid Air. Are you able to tell me:
    a) Is this shock OK for the Phonenix?
    b) Will it fit, or are there any clearance issues?
    c) Is it OK with the DW-Link (as I've seen that for a lot of other Pivot bikes, Pivot only recommend the Fox shock that came with the bike, due to the specific tunes).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Righteo... So, my apologies for digging up my old thread, but I've just rebuilt my Phoenix, and with everything going on I got back to thinking about a Vivid Air again

I've seen some pics from Kyle Strait's World Champs bike, and it has a Vivid Air on board. Can you kind folk confirm whether this is an option for the Phoenix, as I'm really thinking I'd like to go down that route if possible - we really don't have many trails long enough to bother the air spring, and if it fits, I'd like the easy customisation of the air shock

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Can't answer the question, but thanks for bringing the thread back up.

I've been looking for info on what spring to order and this just answered my question with zero effort on my behalf.

Pivotal figure
    That shock will fit the frame, I don't remember Kyle needing to do anything special to run it on his bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Best. News. Ever.
    (Well, that, and the fact that my HS arrived for the 5.7C build today).

Would you recommend the Low compression tune? I've read that it's best for low leverage ratio bike such as the Pivots... I think I saw someone with a Firebird saying the Med tune was too much...

Cheers!

Pivotal figure
    DW bikes generally run lower comp. tuning due to the platform damping being sorta "built in" to the design. I would recommend asking the RS techs exactly what they've used though, I don't really have much experience with their shocks...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers for that Ken. I'll have a word to the Sram/RS guys and see what they say.

Cheers!

obsessive
    Rise from your grave, thread!

Isildur, did you ever swap out to the Vivid Air? Only kicking the idea around, but it may be easier to balance against a Boxxer WC air fork. Results?

My RC4 is out for a service-center rebuild at the moment, but it got me thinking about getting a second RC4 tuned by AVA.. Two distinctly different shock tunings between the freeride/jump parks and the fast-and-steep. Two shock bolts is easier than fiddling with the knobs and finally getting it right by the last run of the day... Anyone had Avalanche do a RC4 for the Phoenix?
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Heya mate,
    Nah, never went the Vivid Air route, as I had trouble sourcing one of the corrent tune here in Aus. The distro here only brought in the Mid-Comp tune, so I never bothered.

The idea of 2 shocks does sound good though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What did sram say about the pivot phoenix and what compression you should use? just curious

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Phwoar, this thread just never dies! A true Phoenix, indeed!

In the end, our local distro here was pretty useless on that front and wasn't able to give me a good, definitive answer. That and the fact that they only brought in one tune of the Vivid Air meant that I wasn't particularly keen to give it a try and have a shock that didn't work too well and then have to pay more to get it re-tuned by a suspension tech.

In the end I've just focused on getting the RC4 running really nice. I've got my settings dialled now and have them noted for the different types of tracks I ride (i.e. groomed jumpy trails, past rough trails, etc).

I hope that helps mate!

obsessive
    I ended up going the AvA RC4 route, with a RCS To spring. Also switched to a AvA coil Boxxer. What a pleasure to ride!
    Go out and ride your bike