Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    I do what I want
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,010

    Phoenix DH - Hmmmm all mountain?

    So my neighbor is building up a Phoenix DH (size Lrg) and looking at scale weights its not bad!! His bike weighs in at 37lbs (sans pedals).

    Build specs:

    Phoenix DH (size lrg)
    Fox 40
    Fox RC4 (steel spring; Ti coming)
    Magura Louise (203f&r)
    Race Face Atlas - cranks (170mm), bars, integrated stem
    CB Mallet Pedals
    SRAM X9 shifter and short cage RD
    SDG carbon I-beam post and I-fly saddle
    Kenda DH Excavator(fr) & DH El Moco(rr) and DH Tubes
    ODI Lock-on grips
    Wheels are some DT Swiss (cant remember the model)
    E13 LG1+ chainguide and Race Face 36t single ring

    So Im thinking with Fox 36 Float 180, non DH tires run tubeless, Ti spring and lighter bar and stem combo, could easily get down to 34-35 lbs?? Thoughts??

    Pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phoenix DH - Hmmmm all mountain?-phoenix-complete-weight.jpg  

    Phoenix DH - Hmmmm all mountain?-evils_pheonix.jpg  

    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 11-05-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    Guy.Ford

    I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,590
    That's cool. You could ride up to the top of these trails and back down if you wanted to. Actually I think some of this is a 1 hour push from the regular mainstream stuff then a quick ride down, some are an hour drive from town.. Either way, the Phoenix would be awesome on them.

    "It looks flexy"

  3. #3
    Are you talkin to me?
    Reputation: Just Ride More's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    34

    DH bike

    How did you get one? I thought they weren't available yet?
    A weekend WASTED is not always a wasted weekend.

  4. #4
    I do what I want
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Ride More
    How did you get one? I thought they weren't available yet?
    Not mine, my neighbor, he knows people. And you are correct - not available to the public.
    Guy.Ford

    I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,590
    I have four of them. I just set them on the garage floor and laugh because nobody else has one. It's awesome.
    "It looks flexy"

  6. #6
    dog
    dog is offline
    sit! stay!
    Reputation: dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,098
    gitclay... i thought you were gonna hang 'em from the trees in your front yard as yard art...


    anyway... didn't Kenbentit post up that he put the 180 on his Pheonix and liked it... or did i just make that up?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

  7. #7
    crash and burn at 45
    Reputation: drydirtrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Not mine, my neighbor, he knows people. And you are correct - not available to the public.
    he must REALLY know someone.

    I met a guy earlier this season that claimed to have a 25 lb 429 that CC built for him. Older gent, he wasn't slow, but he wasn't fast.
    COMBA fan boy card holder #1.

  8. #8
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Didn't we talk about this already?.....

  9. #9
    I do what I want
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Didn't we talk about this already?.....

    Sort of but that was all speculation and this is proof that its possible. Thx
    Guy.Ford

    I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

  10. #10
    VooDoo user.
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,394
    Personally and this is pure speculation, your climbs better be easy smooth road up to the top. I just don't think and world cup DH rig will make for a very versatile All Mountain ride. The fireturd is way more capable of that role.
    Again this is just my opinion and pure speculation as I have No saddle time on the Phoenix.
    I say good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

  11. #11
    I do what I want
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Personally and this is pure speculation, your climbs better be easy smooth road up to the top. I just don't think and world cup DH rig will make for a very versatile All Mountain ride. The fireturd is way more capable of that role.
    Again this is just my opinion and pure speculation as I have No saddle time on the Phoenix.
    I say good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

    Ive now had time to pedal both around, had time on the Phoenix this week and gotta say, it pedals and climbs much lighter than youd think. Honestly, the Firebird seems too light to me, almost too easy.

    And not climbs are not always easy smooth road, dont know how much riding youve done in Socal if any, but I will assure you not every climb is a fireroad. I dont mind a challenge and dont give up easy, Im unique in my mindset when it comes to bikes and riding.
    Guy.Ford

    I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Ive now had time to pedal both around, had time on the Phoenix this week and gotta say, it pedals and climbs much lighter than youd think. Honestly, the Firebird seems too light to me, almost too easy.

    And not climbs are not always easy smooth road, dont know how much riding youve done in Socal if any, but I will assure you not every climb is a fireroad. I dont mind a challenge and dont give up easy, Im unique in my mindset when it comes to bikes and riding.
    Well get one already and build it to 34lbs. Sheesh!
    "It looks flexy"

  13. #13
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,669
    I've climbed up National trail on mine several times. It's MUCH easier with a single crown but still takes some effort since there's only one ring. I'd liken it to singlespeed riding since you can't just sit and spin very much.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  14. #14
    Paterfamilias
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Not mine, my neighbor, he knows people. And you are correct - not available to the public.
    He's the So Cal sales rep, and he has some skills!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I've climbed up National trail on mine several times. It's MUCH easier with a single crown but still takes some effort since there's only one ring. I'd liken it to singlespeed riding since you can't just sit and spin very much.
    One word...Hammerschmidt!

  16. #16
    I do what I want
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    One word...Hammerschmidt!

    One word...ICK!
    Guy.Ford

    I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

  17. #17
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,669
    Firebird
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,590
    I wonder what the Phoenix would be like with HS. hmmmmmmmmmm...
    "It looks flexy"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Firebird

    SHHH!!!






    -- Evil Patrick

    My Music

    My Videos

    Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •