11 is one louder than 10

Over a year now on my 429c - changes I would make.

1. Remove the ISCG tabs. Not sure anyone riding this bike would use them. Plus with 1 x 11 drivetrains, even less of a reason to have it.

2. More time to ride and better fitness for me.

That's it. This bike is absolutely fantastic. Heck, I've kept it for well over a year. Glad I diagnosed all of the creaking (none frame related).

This bike is absolutely tremendous. Still have a blast every time I'm on it. If you are on the fence about buying one - just do it.

Well.. if the same stiffness could be maintained, and only if - I'd still prefer a threaded BB...
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you ever have seatpost creaking issues. My Reverb/429c combo is making a hell of a lot of noise. Or maybe it's my back. Bike's usually easier to fix though.

Long Live the Gorn!
    I agree... I am still in awe of my 429C a year later as well...

BTW can you do a recap / point to your thread on the squeaks.

mtbr member
    Don't know where you guys ride your but here in the mid-Atlantic region it is FINALLY drying up somewhat. If you really want the "Mach" in the "Mach 429" to come out then swap your tires out for some high rollers but prepare to strap on your seat belts..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Coming up on a year of ownership pretty soon too and I'll echo this.

My plans for next year or two:
    1. Carbon wheels
    2. X1 drivetrain (I've been disappointed in XTR, honestly).
    3. Pike reduced to 120.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Over a year now on my 429c - changes I would make.

My Reverb didn't creak but then it kept breaking. My carbon post creak went away with silicon lube. Tightening the headset and lubing the rear axel eliminated noise. There was a cosmetic tab on my Ergon seat that was squeaky. Now it's the X1 cassette which is a little clackety but lubing helps. It rocks with a XR3 and a RaRa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    I agree... I am still in awe of my 429C a year later as well...

BTW can you do a recap / point to your thread on the squeaks.
    Ok, so on the creaks.

1. Seatpost - last year mine was silent. Had a shimano XCR PRO carbon post. Hated the clamping mechanism as it was a pain but it was quiet it was also an ugly post. Went to a Syntace Carbon 2 bolt this year, I get an occasional pop. Livable, and I'm lazy right now to take it apart etc. Also, WTB changed MFG's of their saddles and I'm convinced they are cheaper (heavier, and not nearly as nicely made, I'm pissed at WTB over this).

2. Fork Crown - Of COURSE it was creaky, it was a Fox! They replaced it over the offseason and it's been quiet since. I do think that one piece machined crown/steerer from X-fusion seems like a heck of a good idea...

3. Rear Cassette/Rear Deraileur - XX1 and I had early production runs. I called Sram and asked about it, they replaced both under warranty. I'm convinced that a "pop" I was having was the rear der, but there is no doubt in my mind the rear cassette was creaky. Sram acknowledged as much.

The only problem is... I did the fork, cassette and rear der, all in the offseason at the same time. That said, my bike has been dead silent all season thus far and I've likely got 500 miles plus on the fork, cassette, and r.der. I mean, other than the seatpost occasionally popping - Dead F'ing silent.

I had the tallboy gen 1 (2 of them) tried a scalpel (you can find my reviews somewhere). My brother has a tallboy carbon 2 (very nice also, and if I didn't have this, I'd be back on that, or maybe a czar).

That said, I have zero (and that's big for me) intention of changing this frame anytime soon. Chris nailed it.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."