mtbr member
    Mar 2014

OCMEDIC's M6 Build

*** Bike Currently for Sale, message me for details***

So I finished my build about 3 weeks ago but the very next day left for Ketchum Idaho for the summer where I do not have a computer so its taken me a little while to do a review on it. Not sure this needed it's own thread but I was pretty stoked on it so I thought what the heck.

Parts List:
    M6 Frame XL Blue
    Rock Shox Pike 160 Solo Air Fork
    Rock Shox DebonAir Monarch+ Rear Shock
    Rock Shox Reverb Stealth Seat Post
    Race Face SixC Handlebars
    Bontrager Rhythm Elite Wheelset
    Bontrager Rhythm Pro 80mm Stem
    Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon Saddle
    XTR Front and Shadow+ Rear Derailleur
    XTR Cranks 2x10 38/24,Shifters, Cassette and Chain
    XTR M987 Carbon Lever Brakes

OCMEDIC's M6 Build-1001982_10152487316263023_1867650116264879852_n.jpg

This is the first DW bike I have ever owned after pretty much riding Trek's my whole life and I can't believe how well this bike turns. That was the first thing I noticed was how fast this bike was in the turns, more responsive that anything I have ever ridden. Unfortunately the riding isn't as technical here as it is in Laguna Beach where my home is so I can't comment yet on how it is on really technical terrain but so far it has really impressed me. As far as the climbs go I'm having a little trouble keeping the front end down on steep climbs but I'll sacrifice that any day for how well it performs at high speed. Lastly I am really impressed with the DebonAir Monarch+ rear shock, didn't use the FloatX for any amount of time so cant compare the two but I am really impressed with this rear shock.
    Last edited by ocmedic; 07-25-2014 at 02:56 PM.

74 & 29 pilot
    I would say a shorter stem might help; 80mm is quite long for that type of bike IMO. Also, can you elaborate on your impression of the Debonair Monarch; How did you get it, I didn't think it was available yet?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Dual Squishy...
    Diggin' the build. Shorten the stem and you'll be golden.

mtbr member
    Shorter stem won't help climbing just descending. Maybe remove the spacers under the stem to help reduce the front end wander and work on adapting your technique a little.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Shorter stem won't help climbing just descending.
    Please explain. If he is not getting enough weight on the bar, because he's on an XL frame with a long stem and the bars are too far forward, a shorter stem would help, no?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Keep on Rockin...
    Shorter stem won't help climbing just descending. Maybe remove the spacers under the stem to help reduce the front end wander and work on adapting your technique a little.
    Agreed.

I find putting the bike's rear shock in climb mode helped a lot.

mtbr member
    Shorter stem will make the wandering worse since is puts your weight farther back, not forward. Lowering the stem might help a little, but probably more than anything it will taking some time to adapt. The rear end is probably shorter than what you are used to making the front end lighter as well. I have a feeling that after a few more weeks you will be climbing better than ever.

mtbr member
    BTW did you have to special order the RS rear? It looks like it takes spacers that are different than normal and can't get my Monarch Plus to mount up.

mtbr member
    +1 - lose the spacers under the bars and if needed get a low to no rise bar.

With some time you'll get better at climbing with that bike. When I first got my Nomad the slack 160mm front end seemed real hard to keep the front wheel down on steep climbs, but after a few weeks it was no problem. I did lower and flip the stem to get the bars as low as possible and that helped quite a bit.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm 6'6" on an xl mach 6. Ditching the spacers under the handle bar made a big difference as well as pushing the seat forward on the rails and tilting the nose down quite a bit. In Laguna there are many steep climbs, this bike does great there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Please explain. If he is not getting enough weight on the bar, because he's on an XL frame with a long stem and the bars are too far forward, a shorter stem would help, no?
    No. It wouldn't. You want your weight further forward. On the steepest pitches you need to bend at the waist, sit on the front of your seat and move your weight forward. Longer stems by nature help you get your weight forward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I would say a shorter stem might help; 80mm is quite long for that type of bike IMO. Also, can you elaborate on your impression of the Debonair Monarch; How did you get it, I didn't think it was available yet?
    Ya the stem is a bit long for the type of bike but I'm 6'5 and he bike already has a shorter reach so I need it to keep from feeling too cramped. I bought the debonair probably 8-10 weeks ago and just ordered from the online vendor my shop used, just go to your LBS and ask them to order you one. It's just so plush and active And easy to tune.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    BTW did you have to special order the RS rear? It looks like it takes spacers that are different than normal and can't get my Monarch Plus to mount up.
    Just ordered it aftermarket and swapped it out. I had one of my mechanics at the shop I ran swap it and I was watching and he used the same spacers that were on the fox.

mtbr member
    Cool thanks, I figured it there was something different compared to the HD/Nomad mounts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Probably going to be selling this thing in the next month, if anyone is thinking about getting one in august let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Re: OCMEDIC's M6 Build

What happened? Don't like the bike anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmedic View Post
    Probably going to be selling this thing in the next month, if anyone is thinking about getting one in august let me know.

mtbr member
    My guess is too small based on his 6'5" height. Really needs to be on a Nomad or something with a similar reach at that height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    My guess is too small based on his 6'5" height. Really needs to be on a Nomad or something with a similar reach at that height.
    +1 - I'm 5'11" and could easily ride a XL Mach 6.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - I'm 5'11" and could easily ride a XL Mach 6.
    Interesting, I'm 6'6" and easily ride it too. To each his own!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mapex101 View Post
    Interesting, I'm 6'6" and easily ride it too. To each his own!
    What length stem are you using?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    80mm, so it is a little long for the bike but it feels just right to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    No the bike is excellent, one of the best I've ever ridden and with the stem I have it fits fine, I just run a trek dealership and really need to ride something I sell. Doesn't make and sense to ride something I can't get people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No the bike is excellent, one of the best I've ever ridden and with the stem I have it fits fine, I just run a trek dealership and really need to ride something I sell. Doesn't make and sense to ride something I can't get people.
    You are sampling the competitors products so you know how the trek stacks up. I don't see anything wrong with that. Many of the auto manufacturers execs drive the other manufacturers cars for explicitly that reason.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    .... or pick up the Pivot line-up and sell them
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Bike is now for sale if anyone is interested in it, has 5 rides on it and in perfect condition.