mtbr member
    Oct 2008

No more bike magazines for me

Here is a reminder you should not believe anything you read in magazines

Pivot Firebird Custom Review - BikeRadar

At around 40mm shorter than average for a medium bike of this type
    short geometry? compared to an xc bike - yes , but nothing unusual for this type of bike

Frame & equipment: Tough, with climbing-oriented geometry

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... it is a strange review because it's almost as if the rider was expecting some kind of XC racing oriented bike?

anyway, the things the writer said they didn't like about the FB's geometry are the things i do like about it's geometry...

did the witer even mention jumping or steep, fast descents?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    liranbachar, the author is right.
    he says 40mm shorter than average for medium bike, reach is very short.
    Have a look at other bikes:

1. Pivot Firebird - 379mm
    2. Transition Covert - 403mm
    3. Carbon Covert - 409mm
    4. Canfield The One - 420mm
    5. Spec Enduro - 431mm

Don't have much time to dig more - those are all competitors in size Medium.
    Yes, this is short.

I am thinking of buying one and I will test both sizes (M and L) soon, but sizing and geometry is the main concern.
    I know it is a comprimise of climbing and going down - I know it is great compromise.
    But you cannot deny that the reach (writer says "cockpit lenght") is much shorter than the competition on similar size, what makes your weight balance between frond and back a bit different than on other bikes.

mtbr member
    The article was poorly written (I'm a freelance magazine article writer myself) but I have to agree the reach is purposely short on the bike. I originally had a large and much prefer my XL frame to the L. I had an XL S-works enduro and I felt like I was riding a time trial bike in a tuck it was so long!

Also, did I read that incorrectly or does the F-bird have a tapered head tube now?
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, the article does say tapered head tube but it's still a full 1.5" tube. The fork probably has a tapered steer tube though...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I thought the article was hit and miss.

The shorter reach is why I like the bike, gives it a very confident feeling in steep technical riding - it does effect climbing performance, but it is a fair trade (for my riding style/preference).

Finicky at high speed is something I agree with, BUT because it handles so well, has a very plush ride and you can changes positions easily (both highlighted in the article) you are going very fast for this to happen - it only happens to me during DH specific riding (which I now use the Phoenix for), never been an issue during trail/AM riding.

High bottom bracket? I can't say I have compared it to anything else, but I have to be careful to avoid pedal strikes, would not want a lower BB.

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Gosh, I can't say it's finicky at speed. I mean, I've had it down nearly every trail on Whistler and it's never felt anything but planted. Would like to see what the author feels is a planted bike. There's parts of A-line and Freight Train that are frightenly fast if you were to crash or ride a twitchy bike. The FB always felt GREAT.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_ View Post
    liranbachar, the author is right.
    he says 40mm shorter than average for medium bike, reach is very short.
    Have a look at other bikes:

1. Pivot Firebird - 379mm
    2. Transition Covert - 403mm
    3. Carbon Covert - 409mm
    4. Canfield The One - 420mm
    5. Spec Enduro - 431mm

Don't have much time to dig more - those are all competitors in size Medium.
    Yes, this is short.

I am thinking of buying one and I will test both sizes (M and L) soon, but sizing and geometry is the main concern.
    I know it is a comprimise of climbing and going down - I know it is great compromise.
    But you cannot deny that the reach (writer says "cockpit lenght") is much shorter than the competition on similar size, what makes your weight balance between frond and back a bit different than on other bikes.
    Don't know why you would compare firebird to covert or enduro.
    but checking the numbers of santacruz nomad and ibis mojo (which I consider as the closest competitors)
    with this geometry calculator geometryCalc

I got these reach numbers:
    nomad (M) with 160mm fork: 15.11" = 384mm
    mojo (M) with 160mm fork: 15.33" = 389.5mm
    mojo (M) with 180mm fork: 14.93" = 379.4mm
    firebird (M) with 160mm fork: 15.26" = 387.6mm
    firebird (M) with 180mm fork: 14.95"= 380mm

and with the firebird you get 17.75" seat tube (compared to 17" of the others) which is great for longer legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar View Post
    but checking the numbers of santacruz nomad and ibis mojo (which I consider as the closest competitors)
    with this geometry calculator geometryCalc

I got these reach numbers:
    nomad (M) with 160mm fork: 15.11" = 384mm
    mojo (M) with 160mm fork: 15.33" = 389.5mm
    mojo (M) with 180mm fork: 14.93" = 379.4mm
    firebird (M) with 160mm fork: 15.26" = 387.6mm
    firebird (M) with 180mm fork: 14.95"= 380mm

and with the firebird you get 17.75" seat tube (compared to 17" of the others) which is great for longer legs.
    I have a NomadC with the same stem and bars on it. The Nomad, same "size" is longer by a touch. I always wish my Nomad TT was between a L and XL.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar View Post
    So you say that Covert with 160mm travel, enduro with 165mm travel are not competitors, but Mojo with 160mm travel and Nomad with 160mm travel are...

you made my day

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So you say that Covert with 160mm travel, enduro with 165mm travel are not competitors, but Mojo with 160mm travel and Nomad with 160mm travel are...

you made my day

Cheers
    Yes, both were speced until last year with noodle 32mm fork which implies the bike intended usage.
    None of them can take 180mm fork.
    They are both great AM bikes but not as capable (downhill) as the firebird
    mojo hd and nomad are much more comparable to the firebird

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    is Enduro Evo with 180/180mm travel more compatable to the Firebird for you?
    430mm reach in size M.

This all doesn't change the fact that Firebird's reach is short comparing to most of bikes from that category.

Off course it also doesn't change that Firebird is really great bike

I am thinking of buying one and will be test riding soon size M and L. I am comfortable on most bikes in M size (Covert, Enduro, MDE) and I already know that I have to look on L in Firebird, due to fact that this is short (this is also a suggestion I have received directly from Pivot Cycle guys).

mtbr member
    is Enduro Evo with 180/180mm travel more compatable to the Firebird for you?
    430mm reach in size M.

This all doesn't change the fact that Firebird's reach is short comparing to most of bikes from that category.

Off course it also doesn't change that Firebird is really great bike

I am thinking of buying one and will be test riding soon size M and L. I am comfortable on most bikes in M size (Covert, Enduro, MDE) and I already know that I have to look on L in Firebird, due to fact that this is short (this is also a suggestion I have received directly from Pivot Cycle guys).

I was wondering the same thing myself but having ridden longer travel FSR, I am confident the Firebird with a 180 fork will BLOW AWAY the Evo going up or on the flats.
    "It looks flexy"

ZEN RIDER!
    As a fellow journalist that was a poorly written article. Then again all of bike radar's reviews, to me, seem to be hastily done with very limited testing and an even more limited reviewers. The reason I stopped visiting their page years ago.

My buddy has an evo which i have ridden on many rides and there is no comparison when it comes to suspension design & how the 2 bikes go uphill and on flats.
    I was between frame sizes and went with a small bird. I like the compact nature of it for its intended use, technical riding and jumping.

I always find it interesting from a reviewer when their review is the opposite of everyone else.
    Then again it is bike radar...
    Life in every breath