Aug 2011
    Nice sled.

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    any news on delivery dates for the m4x?

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Sorry for delay's on the M4X, we will receive our first shipment of frames in about 3 weeks time.
    We will post on The Facebooks about them, and begin filling all orders.
    Thanks for waiting!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    cheers.

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... got word that my lbs should be getting an M4X shaped box with my name on it next week... i am assuming it's a full box ...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    ... got word that my lbs should be getting an M4X shaped box with my name on it next week... i am assuming it's a full box ...

what fork are you putting on it? i have a marz 4x, but was gonna try something longer
    maybe 120/130 rev

dog
    sit! stay!
    i have a fox 831... it's in the 120 mm, mode right now but i may reduce it to 110 or 100 mm... i'll start at 120 mm.

dog
    sit! stay!
    the mortal's version is here...

... now i just gotta finishing building it so i can ride it...

Pivotal figure
    Finally got that bad boy! I do wish I could've done a better job with the decal tho (kinda figured I should get it shipped already ). FWIW, I run my 831 in the 100mm setting and it's very balanced. Even feels good on DH stuff.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dog
    sit! stay!
    i like the 120mm mode so far... but i have to replace the seals on my fork soon, so i will consider it then...

Here's some "action" pics:

the first is the M4X in its native habitat...

the second is the habitat in which it will spend most of it's time...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ran into dog today on the trails and he was kind enough to let me tool around on his mx4. Sweet bike. Dog, you really need to post some build pics.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolden Gears View Post
    I ran into dog today on the trails and he was kind enough to let me tool around on his mx4. Sweet bike. Dog, you really need to post some build pics.
    that's a good point ... now begins the tuning process...

here's my build picture. i has envisioned the decals as yellow, but they kind of have a greenish tint like the new safety vest color...

BTW - anyone know why this bike doesn't have a bird name like all the other gravity oriented bikes? i am guessing because design-wise it's more like the mach series?

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, the naming process was pretty quick since it is a 4X bike with 4" of travel. I would've gone with something like "Raptor" but M4X was pretty much decided on right away. Although it gets called "MAX" quite often
    Oh yeah, the decal color was originally more yellow but we swapped to the more green tint. It does match the new DT wheels quite nicely btw...

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    FWIW, I run my 831 in the 100mm setting and it's very balanced. Even feels good on DH stuff.
    doggonnit you are right... the 120mm mode is OK for regular trail duty but on dj type jumps, it does not feel all that balanced... so when i change the fork seals i'll add a spacer or two. i think i only have one 10mm spacer in the tool box, though...

anyone have an extra 10mm Fox fork spacer lying around?

as for names of flying critters maybe the kestrel (a falcony bird) or maybe the bat?

Pivotal figure
    Pretty sure Kestrel will just conjure up images of road bikes and lycra

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... yeah kinda like argile prints and HT 29ers, too...

edit: ha! OK, here i am giving you grief and i'm too dumb to figure out that kestrel is a road bike brand...

now i have to eat crow.... on the other hand maybe crow would be a good name?
    Last edited by dog; 08-01-2012 at 08:22 AM.

dog
    sit! stay!
    also some numbers for those interested:

the build weight of my bike (small frame) is 28lbs +/-
    the insertion depth of my seatpost is about 7.72" (196 mm) measured from the top of the clamp.
    I set my rebound 3 clicks from full fast (which is faster than i was thinking) so far...
    The DW-link goodness is noticeable... for instance zero bob (even considering the stiff settings) and no break dive (that i can tell)... i can tell Pivot spent some
    effort dialing other suspension aspects as well... you are going to love
    this bike if you are getting one!

dog
    sit! stay!
    now that i have some time on the M4X, i can say it is what i hoped...

i will use it mostly for trail, so i was hoping that it would pedal well (i mean for the kind of bike it is) and would have those DW linkage characteristics such as lack of brake jack, etc... so... i pedaled it up and down a "real mountain" on a loop that has about 1600 feet of net change over about 8 miles. i pretty much stood the whole way for the climb because my seatpost length is limited. the last part of the climb is up steep single track with switchbacks... i stood for all that too . i did not notice any bob in the suspension. it was like pedaling a HT with a little better traction. the down hill was awesome. i thought i would feel overwhelmed because this bike is so short and the suspension is so stiff... i did have to work the bike more, which added to the fun, but i did not feel overwhelmed... at one point the trail drops about 1000 feet in about 1.5 miles. there were a lot of short little water bars that the M4X ate up . and when i did brake (which was often )... no brake jack (that i noticed).

anyway, i am thinking i'll get an adjustable seatpost... i was thinking about the KS supernatural with the lever under the seat (so there's no cable)... any suggestions along those lines?

i did go ahead and shorten the travel to 110mm on my 831. so far i do like it a little better that way. feels more natrual on jumps, but also leaves it a little slacker which i wanted...

Pivotal figure
    It is a pretty surprising trail bike huh? I was amazed at how much I could do with it at Deer Valley. The gnarly rock sections were pretty harsh but everything else was fine. Our demo dude just got his built up last week and he's running a KS post with remote (not sure if he has the LEV or not). I just have 2 posts setup so I can swap out as needed. The bike is so short that I can do most descending without needing to lower the post at all.

Now with flavor!!
    Snap!

Rapid Fire: Jeff Herbertson Corking and Whipping - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

I just found out this bike existed finally after staring at that video for about 4 views.

So I'm bumping this beyotch up.

Hey Ken, what's the story with availability of these things? Did it end up being a really limited run where I can't get one if I didn't preorder? I totally missed the boat.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Pivotal figure
    It's a limited run item but we made enough on the 1st production run to fill all the existing orders and still have frames for open stock. We don't have many left but they are available as far as I know (I don't see the pending orders so I only go by what I see in the warehouse).
    Jeff's a machine huh?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's a limited run item but we made enough on the 1st production run to fill all the existing orders and still have frames for open stock. We don't have many left but they are available as far as I know (I don't see the pending orders so I only go by what I see in the warehouse).
    Jeff's a machine huh?
    Are you going to do another run of them next year?

Now with flavor!!
    Jeff's a machine huh?
    I'm trying to think if I've ever even seen someone on a 20" get that dumped on a 360 table. I really don't think I have.

It sounds like the rear shock is pretty heavily damped, do you know anything about what you guys did with the spring rate......the bike leverage rate and/or the air can volume?

PM sent
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wooowooo.....20" wheels and your feet can touch the ground, no more milk crates to lug about .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Now with flavor!!
    The only thing more pathetic than your skewed view of my stature, is your incessant need to stalk whatever I post on an internet forum.

Get a life you fvcking dork.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast