Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    I have 2 seat/post setups for the bike so I can use a long one for trail rides and have a short one for jumping/pumptrack/etc...
    How does the m4x do on pump tracks? I'm pretty close to finishing my back yard pump track and would also like to get into dual slalom and thinking this bike would be nice! I curently run a Yeti Dj hardtail, and my joints can use a little suspension in the rear!

dog
    sit! stay!
    The plan is one run a year, the quantity might vary if demand warrants (next year's run).
    oh, i'll get one this year or next... and to some degree i blame you... i was thinking to myself how this type of DJish fs-type bike with a more aggressive geometry could easily serve a more multi-use purpose than intended (i.e. non-epic ride trail bike)... so i got my hands on a lesser brand of similar geometry and it is a blast for all kinds of riding... anyway, i can only imagine how much better such a bike would be with a Pivoty DW fine-tuned suspension would be..
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

dog
    sit! stay!
    three questions:

1) what is the recommended fork length range?
    2) any guess at the weight?
    3) what is the max seatpost height?

Pivotal figure
    Sorry I missed the earlier question regarding pumptrack, must've come up while I was sick (yay Cold! ).
    As for pumptrack use, I've only taken it out a few times and I had my big DH tires/wheels on the bike so it wasn't quite as snappy as I'd want. The suspension worked out fine but I was hauling too much rolling weight. It was weighing close to 31lbs with that setup but the more AM combo I'm running now has the total weight down to 28.5 with pedals. That's an XT kit, Fox 831 fork, Sun Charger wheels with Kenda 2.1 Happy Medium on back & 2.35 Nexcavator on front, Code brakes (overkill, I know..), Gravity alloy bar, E-13 guide w. bashring, SDG I-Beam seat/post and Deity Decoy pedals. There's PLENTY of room to get the weight even lower but I like a more burly setup.
    Recommended fork travel; It was designed around a 100mm fork.
    Max seatpost height; I'll have to ask about that. You definitely won't be able to get a lot of seat height but I'm able to do long rides just fine (I'm kinda weird like that though )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dog
    sit! stay!
    You definitely won't be able to get a lot of seat height but I'm able to do long rides just fine (I'm kinda weird like that though )
    That would be the intent. I would like to know because i would use a reverby type seat post or do what you suggested...

so, please post up when you find out...

can you narrow down the frame weight? Are you talking 7-8 lbs or 6-7 lbs or some similar range... i just gotta know!!!

and is 100 mm fork the only option or is their a range? (like from a "we do not recommend this" point of view)

and while i am profusely spewing out questions in an obsessive compulsive manner...

What do you think about the nexcavators?
    Last edited by dog; 11-18-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Pivotal figure
    I asked about the max height, no answer yet. No idea on frame weight (there aren't any extras laying around to weigh and I'm not stripping mine down ). The geometry is "optimized" around the 100mm fork but you can run more travel if you really want to. I can't see ever wanting to go above 120mm, have to ask about that recommendation as well.
    As for the Nexcavators; I'm really digging those as a front tire. It has a very open tread pattern with some meaty lugs that really let you dig in. All in a surprisingly light, fast rolling tire. The profile is quite a bit rounder than the Excavator and the width ends up narrower as a result (at least on my wheels). I'm running it with a Happy Medium on back and that setup is really cool. Kinda like having the XC speed with DH toughness.

dog
    sit! stay!
    thanks, i'll just breathe into a paper bag to keep from hyper-ventilating...

so what bottom stack height are you running for your headset?

Pivotal figure
    Both are zerostack cups. Same HS as the Mach series bikes; 44mm internal cup on top, 56mm internal on bottom.

dog
    sit! stay!
    i'd like to promise that this is my last question... but... somehow i don't think that's gonna happen...

can i assume that... if a body just felt it had to be done... there would be plenty of clearance for a 2.35" happy medium or small block 8? (kendas tend to look wider that most tires of the same size to me).

Pivotal figure
    That's what I ran all summer. 2.35 Small Block 8 DH or Excavator. It's not exactly roomy but they fit fine.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    How would this bike be as a Trail bike that is used a little bit as a DJ bike? This would be for a person less the 5.5" tall who is really good at jumping but enjoys Trail riding just as much.

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i plan to ride mine as a trail/mini dh/jump bike and i'm 5 10. my dropper post should 10mm over the minimum line. hopefully it will be here by the end of january

@kenbentit,

is this the correct cane creek headset for the m4x?

SHIS:ZS44 - 1-1/8" ZeroStack (ZS) Threadless

SHIS:ZS56/40 - 1.5" ZeroStack (ZS)

dog
    sit! stay!
    right now i'm riding a transition double which is real similar in geometry and sizing (and i guess handling characteristics) to the m4x. i'm 5'8" and the smaller of the double's two sizes is just right as a trail bike for me. beyond that, it is a blast to ride and jump, etc.... it's gravity oriented, so to speak, but it handles very precisely and does exactly what you tell it to do... i'm guessing the m4x is going to be a cut above the double...

Pivotal figure
    Senor Strongbad; I'm using mine mainly as a trail bike and loving it more every time I take it out. At your height it'll be even easier to get a "normal" fit (assuming you go with the larger frame). I'm able to pedal sitting down OK but the seat is a bit low. I swapped my gearing out to a 10 speed setup with 11-36 cassette & 32t chainring to give me a lower climbing gear.

fua: Those cups look like the right ones to me. Zero Stack 44 upper and Zerostack 56 lower.

BTW, I'm planning to do a 76 mile ride this Friday which includes 30 miles of pavement. Guess which bike I'm taking

dog
    sit! stay!
    Guess which bike I'm taking
    nice... thanks for rubbing that in...

next time, why don't you just give me a paper cut and pour some lemon juice on it

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks kenbentit

as for 76 miles i'd need two days! hope you have fun!

Pivotal figure
    This ride is more social than painful. They usually do it in about 12 hrs (lots of stops for eating, drinking, etc... )

Lightly salted
    Can you measure how much you can insert a seat post before it hits the curved part of the seat tube? Im pretty short and curious if I would be able to fully insert my Kindshock seat post.

Pivotal figure
    Well mine is a pre-production bike so there could be a slight variation in the production version (not expected but I don't have one to verify that). My bike has 8.5" of useable seat tube (it's the Large size).

Pivotal figure

Done with the FOTP!

That stands for "Flight Of The Pigs". It's a big group ride that covers the 3 main riding areas in Phoenix. Total distance is approx. 70 miles with 30 of it on pavement. We ride South Mtn from East to West on National trail, hit the canal and pavement North into Downtown for lunch. Continue North to the West end of Trail 100 (Phoenix Mtn Preserve). Ride the length of that trail, regroup and head over to Papago Park and ride thru there before hitting the pavement and heading back to the start. I rode the M4X and had no trouble on any of the sections. I was geared a bit low for the pavement but that just meant I hung with the singlespeed guys. Very happy with the bike though, it worked even better than I thought it would
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pivot M4x bike-m4xlunch.jpg  

New Pivot M4x bike-m4xbeer.jpg  

New Pivot M4x bike-m4xdirty.jpg  

dog
    sit! stay!
    I was geared a bit low for the pavement but that just meant I hung with the singlespeed guys.
    the single speeders tend to be more about having fun anyway... so it sounds like a win/win

...and more importantly, it sounds like the old knee held out

Pivotal figure
    I kept a steady intake of vitamin I going so there wouldn't be any inflammation. Should've been more diligent with the electrolytes though, got leg cramps at the midway point The bike was crazy fun though; perfect mix of speed and toughness...

mtbr member
    Is vitamin I beer? If so, good job.
    "It looks flexy"

dog
    sit! stay!
    gticlay, are you so young that you don't know what vitamin I is, yet? or are you just saying beer is better?

(ibuprofen)

Pivotal figure
    There was beer as well but much more ibuprofen. One of the signs of getting old

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast