Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    dog
    sit! stay!
    ... so "you all" were running an RS on this beast... anything else?... while i'm at it, any more news?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    The Team guys have RockShox/SRAM as one of their main sponsors so that's what they run. Mine's a full Fox setup; RP23 and 831. Not much new info yet but I have been riding mine as a trail bike quite a lot and I'm totally diggin it. Went to Moab 2 weeks ago and rode Bartlett Wash and Porc. Rim on it, no problems at all. Here's a quick little video/slideshow from that trip
    Last edited by kenbentit; 06-04-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

dog
    sit! stay!
    Tres cool video/slideshow!!!

i was hoping and thinking this thing would make an awesome trail bike...

what travel are you running the 831 at?

Pivotal figure
    Running the 831 at 100mm, using a 45mm stem with 8 deg rise and a low profile top cap. Keeps things nice and compact I think I'm gonna redo the video embed, not sure I like that auto-play feature... Yeah, much better now (increased the size a bit as well). BTW, I have 2 seat/post setups for the bike so I can use a long one for trail rides and have a short one for jumping/pumptrack/etc...

young learner...
    Dec 2007

any new info?

hi guys, dont mean to bring back an old thread but im just dying to know more! been saving up for a while to finally pick up a new frame, but if this isnt going to be available then i guess the rampant it is... any more info would be much appreciated! and 'kenbentit', your video is sweet, but now i just want to see more, please!

Pivotal figure
    Not too much to add beyond the fact that it WILL be a production bike. The plan right now is to a limited production run though. The rear shock will be a custom valved Fox RP23 with the Adaptive Logic and Kashima coating. Rear axle is 12x142 mm, HT is tapered and it uses ISCG05 mounts. The guys are confirming production dates right now so I don't know what the ETA for frames is going to be yet. We should have more info by Interbike though (Eurobike is underway right now...). Here's a MUCH better video with Kyle putting the bike through it's paces. Cheers!
    Claymore Challenge 2011 - Kyle Strait - 3rd place run Video - Pinkbike.com

young learner...
    Dec 2007
    This is great news! And thanks for the link... Definitely inspiring. By the way, are you still Trailriding yours with 100mm fork? What's the max recommended travel up front? I believe this can possibly be my "one and only"...maybe

Pivotal figure
    I've been riding mine as a trail bike with the 831 set at 100 mm. Not doing anything right now since I'm recovering from knee surgery. Not sure what the recommended max travel up front is but the bike is designed around a 100mm fork (67.5 deg HA with the 831). I'm pretty sure Kyle runs a longer fork on his bike but I don't know what he has it set at. I absolutely LOVE the bike for pretty much everything I ride. The only spots where it feels a bit restricting are on extended climbs (especially at altitude) and in the really steep, chunky stuff (short CS keeps things interesting). It worked amazingly well on the DH trails at Deer Valley, even in the rooty stuff of Fire Swamp. Here's another short video to add fuel to the fire

dog
    sit! stay!
    Kenbentit,
    Pivot needs to be paying you extra for such videos... great editing!!!

oh yeah, and ridin'

any approximates on the frame wieght?

Pivotal figure
    They take pretty good care of me at the shop. After all, how often do you get to ride a bike that you helped build? No idea what the frame weights are going to be since there may be some changes on the production bikes (not sure yet).

dog
    sit! stay!
    the geo numbers are up on the web site... looks to be just what i was hoping for ...

kenbentit, if you ever switch that fork to 120 mm, i'd like to hear your thoughts... i'm running my double with that fork set at 120mm and i really like it... i have not tried it at 100mm yet...

Pivotal figure
    I don't see myself messing around with the fork travel at all. It feels exactly like I want it to and worked perfectly on the DH trails at Deer Valley so I'm as happy as I can be. Even DW liked my setup

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Forget 29ers, what do you guys think about putting 24-inch wheels on the M4x?

Do a little trials work with that guy?

Pivotal figure
    24's would work OK depending on what you were using it for. I've setup a couple of bikes with 24" wheels and it's very different for sure. Cornering is quick but top speed is lower. I had a crazy low gear for climbing but had to pick lines a bit more carefully (smaller wheels get hung up easier).

Frequent Crasher
    Very interested in this one. Any idea on price? Interbike just finished up, and I was hoping to hear more info. While I am at it, any suggestions for a good pivot dealer? There aren't any within 300 miles of me.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

Pivotal figure
    I haven't talked to the guys yet (I skipped the show this year) so I don't know what progress has been made regarding pricing/availability. If you can't find a dealer close enough to you (I assume you've used the dealer locator on the website) you can always go through Competitive Cyclist. They're our new online retailer (US sales).

dog
    sit! stay!
    kenbentit,

just curious... how much are you using your M4X for your regular riding?

Pivotal figure
    Well I'm not doing ANY riding right now (except for the stationary bike) but before I went under the knife I was using the M4X almost exclusively. I have to run the post at Max height to get enough leg extension but that's it. The bike climbs quite well, similar to a hardtail but forgiving. I just swapped out my parts for a new 10 speed XT kit so I can run a 32ring w. 11-36 cassette. That'll give me a bit of a bailout gear. Keep in mind that I'm a bit weird as far as what I consider OK. Like climbing with the Phoenix...

dog
    sit! stay!
    ack... hope you heal quick (ACL?)... i've been trail riding my double quite a bit, and really liking it despite the leg extension issue... i suspect the M4X will be that much better with the DW and all... it may come down to this or a plastic FB if they come out in 2013...

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, ACL and meniscus. Just got released for riding on road so at least I can get off the trainer

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Our target price is $2,599. We are waiting for final quotations for the forged parts, and links to finalize the price. Production will begin in a few months for a late January delivery. We will only make one batch per year on this bike. So, once pricing is announced, be sure to place your orders if you want one!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

dog
    sit! stay!
    so... there's a chance that this will be more than a one time deal!

that would be perfect... I kinda think of this bike as the spandex free version of the Mach 4...

fua
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    my m4x is ordered, gotta pay the deposit tomorrow fingers crossed, delivered end of january.

dog
    sit! stay!
    dan23... yikes! you forgot to tell us that it is time to pre-order!!!!

OK, so now i have some thinking to do...

I know there is no way you are even gonna hint if there will be a plastic firebird announced next fall... so here's what i've gotta know:

Will this be the only production run? or is "the plan" (which i know can change at any moment) that there be one per year? or are you just gonna wait to see if there will be one next year...

you just have to tell me!!!!!!

(bike obsession is bad for me... good for you)

Pivotal figure
    The plan is one run a year, the quantity might vary if demand warrants (next year's run).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast