Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If I put a real fork, like a Vengeance or a 55 on it , will it void the warranty?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    If I put a real fork, like a Vengeance or a 55 on it , will it void the warranty?
    One can run a Pike at 120mm, and some might consider that a real fork. If you're asking if you can run 150 or 160mm with this frame, then you're looking at the wrong bike.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I hear you, now let's see a 529!!
    +1

That was what I was hoping for. I'll have to settle for a 429c at some point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusar View Post
    Was hoping for a ~5", light, do it all bike similar to the Sight and solo...looks cool enough though and plenty fast. When's the Mach 5 Carbon come out?
    yes, my thoughts too. My old TRc was an awesome frame and sub 5lbs. The angles were superb for aggro trail yet light enough for a decent XC racer. It also worked great as a modified 650b'er. I sold it only because it was too long for me ETT-wise.

While this frame is sweet looking the problem for me is the ETT. Why go longer than other Pivots? Now it's too long for me. It's about 0.2-.04 longer than their other frames. I'm out. Shucks.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    One can run a Pike at 120mm, and some might consider that a real fork. If you're asking if you can run 150 or 160mm with this frame, then you're looking at the wrong bike.
    Air fork is for non-technical!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    yes, my thoughts too. My old TRc was an awesome frame and sub 5lbs. The angles were superb for aggro trail yet light enough for a decent XC racer. It also worked great as a modified 650b'er. I sold it only because it was too long for me ETT-wise.

While this frame is sweet looking the problem for me is the ETT. Why go longer than other Pivots? Now it's too long for me. It's about 0.2-.04 longer than their other frames. I'm out. Shucks.
    Will a shorter stem help? I bought a 429 C which has a longer TT than my Mach 5 and just used a slightly shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Air fork is for non-technical!
    Oh. Who knew?

mtbr member

New Pivot Announced for Release in Summer 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    +1

That was what I was hoping for. I'll have to settle for a 429c at some point.
    Nah, just get a Ripley. Sold my 429 and haven't looked back--more travel, and I'm faster up and down on it.

Now if pivot would do a 629 with chainstays 17.5 or shorter, I'd be all over that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    Nah, just get a Ripley. Sold my 429 and haven't looked back--more travel, and I'm faster up and down on it.

Now if pivot would do a 629 with chainstays 17.5 or shorter, I'd be all over that.
    This shows how opinions can differ greatly on bikes - I hated the Ripley (demoed for several days) and thought the 429C was better in both descending (much better) and climbing (somewhat better).

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Well if I were into XC I might love it, but I'm not...so I don't. I little more travel and a little slacker & I'd be very curious.
    Y'know, this new Mach 4 fits a niche that's been pretty much totally unaddressed until now. It's the first 100-115mm travel, carbon, XC-raceable frame purpose-built for 27.5" wheels (and the perfect replacement for my Blur XC Carbon that I converted to 27.5").

The bike you are describing that fits your particular needs has already been made by pretty much EVERY other company that's jumped on the 27.5 bandwagon (including Pivot). Think you'll be OK.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    Y'know, this new Mach 4 fits a niche that's been pretty much totally unaddressed until now. It's the first 100-115mm travel, carbon, XC-raceable frame purpose-built for 27.5" wheels (and the perfect replacement for my Blur XC Carbon that I converted to 27.5").

The bike you are describing that fits your particular needs has already been made by pretty much EVERY other company that's jumped on the 27.5 bandwagon (including Pivot). Think you'll be OK.
    Yeah, I'm actually pretty interested in this bike. At first I wasn't since I have a 429C, but I'm a shorter guy (5'5-6ish), and I was thinking it'd be nice to have a more flickable, less 'big' feeling bike. I've been thinking that for a while, but can't really justify 130+ travel for what I ride around TX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Yeah, I'm actually pretty interested in this bike. At first I wasn't since I have a 429C, but I'm a shorter guy (5'5-6ish), and I was thinking it'd be nice to have a more flickable, less 'big' feeling bike. I've been thinking that for a while, but can't really justify 130+ travel for what I ride around TX.
    I am around 5'7 and found myself in between the M and S 429C to the point that neither felt right. Was about to order a Ripley but now...

Those geo numbers look great for me, def putting my purchase on hold till these appear.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    I am around 5'7 and found myself in between the M and S 429C to the point that neither felt right. Was about to order a Ripley but now...

Those geo numbers look great for me, def putting my purchase on hold till these appear.
    I'm surprised that you find yourself between. 5'7" should put you pretty securely on the small unless you have a very long torso/arms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    I'm surprised that you find yourself between. 5'7" should put you pretty securely on the small unless you have a very long torso/arms.
    You just nailed it. I had the seat all the way back on the rails with a 90mm stem. Would have needed a set back seat post to feel comfortable and then my knees would have been to far back.

This looks promising! Been calling shops around my area and so far everyone is clueless about info, some not even knowing that there was a release...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    So because I am 6'3", I get punished with only having a 29er option. That's not logic, that sounds like our federal government's type of thinking. I'm sure Pivot will loose a number of sales with that type of thinking......shame shame shame
    Couldn't agree more!
    Hard to believe they wouldn't make an XL for the big boys.
    Having owned six 29ers, including a mach 429, the fact is they are longer, heavier, and flexier. They're also way less fun in the twisty stuff (although great at straight line high speed). Of course, some of these issues can be solved with the money gun but I'm sick of spending big $$$ on bikes.
    Please don't tell us what to ride just coz we're bigger. Give us the same choice.
    Medz

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    Please don't tell us what to ride just coz we're bigger.
    They're not telling you what to ride. You're free to ride another brand's bikes.

You can't blame a company if they choose not to produce something because they don't believe it will sell. They're a relatively small company trying to make a profit, not a charity organization.

mtbr member
    Couldn't agree more!
    Having owned six 29ers, including a mach 429, the fact is they are longer, heavier, and flexier. They're also way less fun in the twisty stuff (although great at straight line high speed). Of course, some of these issues can be solved with the money gun but I'm sick of spending big $$$ on bikes.
    Please don't tell us what to ride just coz we're bigger. Give us the same choice.
    Medz
    Is this an example of the entitlement mentality that I hear so much about?

74 & 29 pilot
    Couldn't agree more!
    Medz
    Take a look at the geo numbers, Pivot frames are sized differently than most brands. I'm 6' and comfortably on a M 429c with a 50mm stem and the med Mach 4 has the same reach. A large should be plenty except able for 6'1" plus riders.

Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Is this an example of the entitlement mentality that I hear so much about?
    EXACTLY! Between this guy and mtbiker4life, I'm not sure which one is a bigger whiner. Always some clowns to find something to b!t(h about with new products; If you don't like, don't buy one.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Take a look at the geo numbers, Pivot frames are sized differently than most brands. I'm 6' and comfortably on a M 429c with a 50mm stem and the med Mach 4 has the same reach. A large should be plenty except able for 6'1" plus riders.

EXACTLY! Between this guy and mtbiker4life, I'm not sure which one is a bigger whiner. Always some clowns to find something to b!t(h about with new products; If you don't like, don't buy one.
    What a nice person. If you see me on the trail I'm the 6'3", 225lbs clown. Be sure to stop and say hi.
    As always you are of course correct. I won't be buying one of these, even though I'm a huge fan of Pivot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What a nice person. If you see me on the trail I'm the 6'3", 225lbs clown. Be sure to stop and say hi.
    As always you are of course correct. I won't be buying one of these, even though I'm a huge fan of Pivot.
    Don't you people prefer stick and ball sports anyway? Shaq is huge, you are just large. This frame is probably under-built to tolerate the long tube spans of an XL size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Getting this thread back on subject -ahem-

Can anyone from Pivot comment on what the suggested sizing will be? Seems most Pivot's medium frames are suggested for people 5'9" to 6'. The geo numbers seem to indicate that this frame in a medium would be great for someone 5'7" with more torso than legs.

Something just seems weird about me being on a small frame...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As has been said these frames run large. I am 5'9" and did not take notice of recommended frame sizing for my first pivot as I was used to riding medium frames. It was a mistake, I went for Small in my next 2 purchases, much better. Trust the recommendations and get over the small factor :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    What is so wrong with the 5010c that you are trying to replace it after a couple of months? Confused... (My interpretation of your posts obviously)
    Nothing wrong with it at all. It's always been a place holder until I see what Noel and Dave are cooking up for next year. I'll have had it at least a year before the 2015 carbon Flux, Knolly Fugitive and now this new Mach 4 are realistically available. If I like one if those better, I'll sell the 5010c frame and switch over parts.

I'm a little disappointed Pivot only went 115mm travel on this one. I guess it leaves room for a 27.5 carbon Mach 5 at 130-140mm though.

Pivotal figure
    I'm test riding one of the Med prototypes right now and it's an "OK" fit for me at 6' with a 32" inseam but I do feel a little front heavy on steep drop-offs (I'm running a 90mm stem to get some stretch).Gonna give it a try with a 70mm stem tomorrow....BTW, the travel is NOT a limiting factor on this bike at all! I rode up and down National trail at South Mtn yesterday and it handled everything easily. I didn't feel the need to back off much at all, even hit some drop offs at speed that are a bit outside of what you'd want to do on an XC bike I'm loving this thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    Getting this thread back on subject -ahem-

Can anyone from Pivot comment on what the suggested sizing will be? Seems most Pivot's medium frames are suggested for people 5'9" to 6'. The geo numbers seem to indicate that this frame in a medium would be great for someone 5'7" with more torso than legs.

Something just seems weird about me being on a small frame...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post

I totally dig this ride and am frustrated it's not available in XL. Please do not confuse my frustration with being a whiner. I know I can buy a different brand but having experience on a M4.......I like Pivot as a brand.

I seriously doubt a large frame will fit anyone over 6 foot. At 6'3" with a 21" seat tube I have 10" of seat post from collar to center of rail. So riding a large would set me up with 12" of seat post.......that could create more problems.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast