Proud Thunderchicken ownr

Smile New firebird owner

My stars aligned and things finally worked in my favour. Thanks to louiffe, I've had my first ride on my own firebird.
    Wow.
    It was a cold, 6 degrees, rainy morning but I didn't care. I headed up to my little time trial hill, unfortunately it has been 3 weeks since I've gone for a ride so I can't comment on speed, but as for ride quality ... wow.
    The ol'Jamis Dakar XC is getting tossed away; I've got a new love in my life.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... you'll be posting the pictures... when?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    suh-weet! Post a ride review after a few more!
    "It looks flexy"

For pictures just take a look at louiffe's, it's his old 'bird ... but I'll put some of mine up too

As for a review, there is nothing for me to compare it to but I can say the ride was phenomenal. I only did a 3k road uphill and a 3k fireroad up to begin it but it felt sooooo nice. The 180 totem took some getting used to but there was nothing techical on the climb so it was fine, I do need to get a medium spring (if anybody has one, let me know) because I can barely compress it.
    Now the giggling begins. I crest the top, drop my seat and start hammering. I've rode this trail too many times to count so I could do it blindfolded, so I know how it should ride out. I was wrong. I had no idea things could be this good. The top half is fast and flowy, the lower is fast and rock gardeny. To say it was smooth is an understatement. I do have some learning to do with jumping since this is my first opportunity to actually taste air, but from what I attempted it was solid.
    But I will have to say, my favourite part was the post ride cleaning. I loved cleaning it (I'm not normal). It looks amazing now.
    'Birds in the shadows

Post ride dirty bird

All cleaned up
    Last edited by btibben; 10-29-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Things I'm looking for now :
    - 60mm stem
    - medium spring for totem
    - thumb paddle for XO front shifter (took a weak spill and landed funny), mines bent.
    - more time at home and not stuck off in the mountains working

mtbr member
    What part of BC are you in? Ever get down to Bellingham to ride? That's where I live.
    "It looks flexy"

I live in the Okanagan (Penticton) but I am stuck working in Trail right now. Which, had this been summer, would be perfect since there are trails all over Rossland where I am staying. But it is now winter mode and the snow is falling already and it is dark when I leave for work and dark when I get back.
    I'm still new enough to the sport that the 4 different trail networks that I can ride to right from my house are all I need. I can find new trails still and now with the bird, all trails are new again. So I haven't had the need to get out of town to go riding, but I will be venturing to Silver Star next summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Happy to see that you like it! Can't wait to hear a more detailed review once you have modified the Totem to your weight...