mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New Firebird. Need help setting up the shock. Fox DHX Air

Before I get into it, you need to know that I know nothing about suspension. This is my first "real" full suspension bike. Additionally, I live in a rural town in Northern AZ and don't have access to a Pivot dealer.

That said, I weigh 225 and ride fairly technical terrain. Before moving up north I regularly rode National, Gold Canyon, and Hawes. I plan on taking this bike to Sedona a lot.

Can you help me dial in the settings on this shock to accommodate my weight and where I will be riding? I'm just looking for a good starting point. Again its a Fox DHX Air 5 shock for a 2013 Pivot Firebird 26er.

Thanks a bunch

Pivotal figure
    Did your bike come with the suspension setup sheets? Those will give you a good idea of where to start. We also have that info in the "Tech" section of our website.

Here's the setup info that pertains to the DHX Air:

Setting Rebound, Bottom Out, and Boost Valve on DHX Air Shocks: In general, a good starting rebound setting is 7 clicks in from full open for a rider weight of 170lbs. We recommend setting the bottom-out with two lines showing on the reservoir. A good starting Boost Valve pressure is 170psi. We do not recommend going below 150psi on the Firebird.

Setting rear shock sag on mountain bikes: Always set sag with the Pro Pedal turned off (lever set to the non-drive side of bike). Have the rider sit on the bike (preferably with their hydration pack on) and have them sit down hard into the saddle to achieve accurate sag settings.
    The rider does not need to bounce up and down nor should they sit down gently. If they sit down hard once, the suspension will cycle well
    into the stroke and return to the natural sag setting with the rider in the saddle. With the rider in the saddle (not moving), slide the O-ring up
    into position against the air can. Once the O-ring is set in place, have the rider slowly step off the bike so as not to move the O-ring. The O-ring needs to line up with the red line on the sag indicator. Add or remove air as required to get the O-ring to line up with the red line. If
    there is no sag indicator on the shock, set the sag to the recommended setting shown below. (Different models and sizes of Pivot bikes use different length shocks and therefore require different sag settings. In general, we are setting sag at approximately 30% of the shock stroke).

With the Firebird you'll end up with a main air pressure setting that's pretty close to your riding weight. I like to run my Boost pressure at approx 170psi and the chamber volume at 50% (that's the "2 lines showing" part). The Boost is adjusted via the Schraeder valve on the piggyback, the main air is adjusted via the valve on the main body of the shock. Max pressure in the main is 300 psi while the Boost has a min/max range that's printed on the decal.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    After following a combination of the instructions found on the Pivot website and the Fox website, I was able to set up my suspension for the Firebird. Someone really needs to make a YouTube video to make learning this process much simpler. That said, I got it all set up in the bike rides awesome. I am so happy to be the proud owner of my first Pivot bicycle. After lurking on this website for over two years I finally have my own.

Pivotal figure
    We've been looking at making a series of tech videos, just a matter of actually getting it all figured out so it's simple and easy (both for viewing and downloading)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude