Ride and Smile suckas

New colors on the 429 for this year

wow the black/white is beautiful!
    http://www.pivotcycles.com/bikes/det...etry_chart_tab
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad to announce that we have already sold out of this limited color.

Happy in a sales side of things that we are selling things, sad in that I wish we had more.

We will receive more of the White Blue in the spring.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Dan, I cant wait for mine. Should be done at SMC this week and am anxiously awaiting the inaugural ride on it. i have never been off my bike for this long of a duration in 6 years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dan,
    hi, I am a Firebird and Mach 5 owner, would it be pointless to buy a Mach429? How different do they perform, considered that I only do mountain trail & rock garden riding (ups&downs) without drops more than 3 feet?
    Heard a lot about 29er and tempted to give it a try.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    ppcontrol,

Thanks for being a double family member first of all!

That's a hard question. I would think yes, only if you were looking to do more of the XC thing - sounds like you are an all mountain trail type rider - the 429 will roll nicely as a trail bike with 120mm forks, it is capably of your nice size drops - National Trail here on South Mountain is a staple for most AZ 29'r riders, and the 429 handles that trail very well. I almost considered going Mach 429 and Firebird this year, when I was waiting for my 5.7, but for me - I'm a one bike guy right now with my 5.7.

Maybe this question is too hard for me - you should test ride one back to back on trails you are familiar with - possibly do a back to back. The Mach 429 is a very capable bike - it's amazing that we have beat out so many other brands by only having 1 model in the 29'r category too.

I need some help from other readers here. What do you all think?
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dan,
    Thank you very much for your prompt response and comment.
    I don't mind to become a trio family member as well, but I need to make sure the bikes are correctly built for purpose.
    Yes, I wouldn't worry about the difference between FB and 429, but M5 & 429, especially that I built my M5 to a very light weight of 26lbs only, and am having tons of fun from this superb "King of Trail". I also use it for XC taking the advantage of its light weight, not a problem at all. (FB is for more aggressive riding, close to DH for me)
    So if I get a 429 it would be purely on a 29er basis (even the suspension system is the same!), hoping that it can give better obstacle clearing ability in trail riding. What if I find it better? then I might need to sell my M5 becasue of overlapping performance with the 429? I wish someone can share their experiences after ridng both.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    ppcontrol,

If you are looking for a more race ready bike then sell the M5 and get the 429. I rode an M5 for 3 years before jumping ship to the 429. The 429 can do just about everything the M5 can do, but faster. I have 3 rides in on mine and i am amazed how stiff the 429 is, and how fast it is compared to the m5.

I would go with the 120mm fork though, as the clearance on the 429 with a 100mm fork seems less than a 4" travel bike. I went with the 100mm fork as the shop had it in stock and gave me a deal on it, but hindsight i should have went with the adjustable fork and paid the price.

ZEN RIDER!
    Dan, new colors for the Firebird yet?
    Ball burnished chrome would also be a nice option.
    Life in every breath