mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New 36 on Mach 6 vs Pike?

Has anybody started running the new 36 on the Mach 6 yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No…..Why…? Realistically….

Weighs more and you really don't need to go 36mm…even though the PIKE is 35mm….but at least it weighs less than Fox forks and performs better. IMHO

Anytime. Anywhere.
    From what I've read the weight difference is minuscule and the fox perform pretty close to the Pike but not better. 36 is 1mm better than 35. I would decide by price and user serviceability.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Pivotal figure
    Only got to mess around a little with Chris's personal bike but the new 36 is super plush, definitely a jump forward. I want one...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Good info Ken, you may have just made my decision easier....

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Mike, I'm getting a 36 to demo on my M6. I'll see if I can hand it off to you after. If not, you're welcome to try my bike.

G

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just got my first ride on the new 36 today. Lets put it this way. I will not be going back to my Pike anytime soon.
    To put it simple, the bike came alive. I'd been having problems feeling confident with front end traction ever since I purchased the bike. I even started a forum trying to explain my dilemma.
    People had there input and I tried a lot of different setting with the pike. I ultimately adjusted and just excepted. That is how the bike rides!
    Now I'm not saying the Pike is a bad fork. It has a lock out or trail setting which I liked and it stayed up in it's travel nicely. Small bump compliance at slow speeds was great but once the fast rock gardens come it just does not compare to the 36.

The new 36 is stiffer and the front end just stays glued to the ground. It doesn't get bucked off track like the Pike did. I felt like I was on my HD again but with all the perks of the new M6. The front end just plowed through rock gardens.
    If I did have any bad thing to say it would be that it does not have a lock out and it makes this swishing noise every time you compress the fork. These are miner things. We will see what the long term outcome is on the fork which we have all dealt with, but I won't get into that.
    Do understand, this is my own personal opinion.

mtbr member
    Doesn't surprise me. The Pike always felt dead to me. If the new 36 comes alive in the fast chop and does the other things well that the Pike does....then that's a game changer imo.

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... so... is this an updated RC2?

are you M6 users running it at 160mm?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Bump...

Still curious about the latest Fox 36 on a Mach 6. The small bump (high speed) feeling on my 160 Pike is still a bit harsh. I've added one token which cured the bottom out issue, but I want to be able to fully open it up on steep, fast, bumpy descents but I often have to back down a bit. (Still missing the plush feel of my Nomad/Fox 36.)

mtbr member

New 36 on Mach 6 vs Pike?

Dang buddy just got fox to do a full rebuild with 2015 internals on his 34 and says it night and day. Can't decide 36 or let fox hook it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yep, that was my problem with the Pike.. high speed bumps and the fork just goes to ****.. I'v been on the new 36 for a month now and I have no regrets, yet. And as much as I tell people, I get the same old answer. "But I heard the Pike is a really good" It's Ok but the 36 is way better.

mtbr member
    Those that have tried running the new Fox 36, how does it climb compared to a 160 Pike? It doesn't have a simple CTD lever anymore, so to get into a "climbing" mode you'd have to turn the LSC knob in, which has 26 clicks! Or does it not need to be messed with? I'm wanting the plushness of the 36, but for a race that has timed climbing as well as descents, I'm concerned about not having a convenient 3-position Open - Pedal - Lock or CTD knob.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    Those that have tried running the new Fox 36, how does it climb compared to a 160 Pike? It doesn't have a simple CTD lever anymore, so to get into a "climbing" mode you'd have to turn the LSC knob in, which has 26 clicks! Or does it not need to be messed with? I'm wanting the plushness of the 36, but for a race that has timed climbing as well as descents, I'm concerned about not having a convenient 3-position Open - Pedal - Lock or CTD knob.
    A "plush" racing setup should have more than enough support for climbing or you'd be bottoming out a lot at race pace.

I don't mess with my buttery 160mm Float 36 [2009 version] or my 160mm Pike when I climb and they are setup for trail riding pace.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is it also true that the 160mm 36 has the same axle-to-crown as the 150mm Pike?

mtbr member
    It is about 3 mm longer but I would be shocked if you noticed a difference in handling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

OriginalDonk
    Just jumped on the redesigned Pivot website and it looks like the Mach 6 build kits are now spec'd with a Fox 36 at 160mm for the XTR/XX1/XO builds and the Fox 34 150mm for the cheaper kits.

I'll always be finicky about my spec but the inclusion of the Fox 36 and Maxxis rubber make the standard build kits look better and better guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalDonk View Post

I'll always be finicky about my spec but the inclusion of the Fox 36 and Maxxis rubber make the standard build kits look better and better guys.
    I'd agree. One of the reasons I didn't bother buying a complete bike was the Float 34 CTD. It was just a fork I'd have to sell and replace off the bat.

The crappy tires were a PITA, but not a deal breaker. Sad they lasted 5mins on the GFs complete and we had to spend $150 on something decent.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com