mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Need advice on Setting up Mach 5.7

Hi ppl

I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section, but rather than get a generic answer to my answer by posting in the "sag and suspension section" I felt it more prudent to actually ask other Pivot bike users for their opinions thus my decision to post in here.

I recently took the plunge and bought myself a Mach 5.7 and from the ride so far I couldn't be any happier about my decision . I've spent the past couple of days since then tuning and setting up the suspension rations. From what i understand of Pivot (and other DW link bikes), they highly recommend setting sag at 30% and more. But does this sag apply to the front fork as well? My current setting (the sweet spot) is roughly 20% sag in the front (with 2 clicks of rebound damping), and 30% sag in the rear (with 5 clicks rebound damping). I had initially tried to reduce the front fork pressure to achieve the 30% sag, but found the front fork diving too much to the point that i felt like the bike was trying to bounce me off the saddle whenever the gradient pointed downwards.

Hence in such a scenario, would the seniors here have any advice for my current situation? Would having too little sag (20%) in the front fork affect the pedaling dynamics of the DW link system? Or is the bucking bronco feeling i get at 30% front fork sag a riding technique issue over setting issue?

Haha anyway sorry for the long post, I would highly appreciate any constructive suggestions in regards to this issue. It doesn't have to be restricted to just changes in the fork setting either, seeing as I would really like to fully explore all the possible avenues for changes that i could experiment with. A great bike like this deserves no less effort on the owner part as well .

Thanks all! And have a happy new year!

mtbr member
    I have my Mach 5 set up with about the same sag as you, but with different rebound settings. I run 30-35% sag with only one click or rebound damping on the shock and the sweet spot that I have found on my fork (150mm Revelation) is about 20-25% with 5 clicks of rebound damping.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Rei_Ikari,

Thanks for being a Pivot Family Member!!!

You should always follow the Suspension Forks Sag recommendations. Pivot will only recommend what the sage should be on our frames. So, I agree with your 20% up front idea, I would just double check with that manufacturer to see what they recommend for that fork.

Happy Trails!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    What fork are you running up front and how much do you weigh. The rear end sounds like you got it dialed in. 30% sag is perfect. most front forks will run best at 20-25% sag. There are many forums already out there with tons of set-up advice for fox and rock shox forks. I made a couple measurements for the front fork and how much sag 20% and 25% were. I marked them on a post it note on oposit sides then cut a line in beween them so there was a slopping line going from 20% to 25%, I then laminated it, into one of those badge holders the size of a credit card. This allows me to put it right up to the fork with out scratching it, and see where the line fall. I also have the rear sag cut into it. I put this in my back pocket while I ride and I can check all my sag at any given time on the trail. I think it is much quicker and easier then the supplied measuring thingy. Depending on the trail and the conditions sometimes 25% is best and sometimes it aint. If I knew how to post pics on here I would.