mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Need advice - Pivot 429SL order

Hello there, just joined the forum. I have been out of mountain biking for a few years and am getting ready to replace my now 13 year old Haro HT.

I walked into my LBS a few weeks ago and started checking out Pivot bikes, well after a few demo rides I am dead set on a new 429SL with a SRAM 1x11 build. I wanted to get some opinions on either the XX1 build vs. the X01 build with the Reynolds wheel upgrade. Both builds are around the same price and I'm wondering what is the better way to go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You picked a great bike, you will love it. I don't know anything about the Reynolds wheels, but I highly recommend a stiff wheelset for this frame.

The first few rides on mine were on a set of I9 aluminum wheels and while the bike was good, there was a noticeable difference when I put on a set of stiff carbon wheels. This frame is very stiff which might highlight flex in a wheelset. I'm about 200 lbs so it might be less of an issue if your a lightweight rider.

Either way not a bad dilemma to have!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the advice man, I am actually 6'-2"/200lbs so I am thinking a stiff wheelset would be beneficial. I am just amazed at how far the technology has come in the past decade, I am an engineer and the bikes these days are killer.

I'm starting to lean towards the XX1 build and then do a wheel upgrade later after I have some time in the saddle, I haven't been able to find much feedback on the reynolds wheelset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I also went with the XX1 group, but my original plan to ride a set of aluminum wheels for a while backfired when I demo'd an ENVE wheelset. I just couldn't spend that kind of money so I'm having my shop build up a set of NOX wheels for me at about half the price of the ENVE's. I'd say your right on with your plan, just resist the urge to demo carbon wheels.
    Last edited by ctimrun; 03-20-2015 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Head over to the 29er components forum and read up on Light Bicycle chinese carbon rims. I have had three sets of rims ordered from them and they are great had them built with DTSWISS 240s hubs. All in about 750 dollars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I went with the XX1 build on mine. I LOVE the bike!!! I ended up ordering the bike with the standard DT Swiss Spline 1 XR1501 wheels. I thought long and hard about the Reynolds Carbon upgraded wheels, but decided to order a set of Nox Teocalli rims with Industry 9 hubs instead. I figured the Teocalli's are about the same weight as the XR1501's, but have a significantly wider internal width than either the XR 1051's or the Reynolds, but would cost me a few hundred less than the Reynolds upgrade. I'm gonna end up transfering the XR 1501's to my Niner Air 9 RDO hard tail, so they won't go to waste

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well I went ahead and placed the order. Ended up getting the 429SL with the XX1 build and just bit the bullet and went ahead and got upgraded Reynolds wheelset. My LBS is having to get this from Pivot so hopefully will have it is my hands by late next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Great decision, congrats! Be sure to post some pics after you get it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Congrats! You're gonna love it!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bike came in today and I was able to take it for about 1.5 hour ride. WOW, this thing is insane. Huge upgrade from my 15 year old hard tail Big kudos to Pivot for engineering such an awesome machine and many thanks to my local bike shop (BicycleWorld Houston) for getting this bike ordered and delivered on time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bike looks great! Add it to the build thread, curious how it's built up.