mtbr member

Mysterious Click on Mach 5.7

Lately, with every hard right pedal stroke, there's a click at the bottom of the stroke. This only happens in the small ring.
    I just put a new chain on, and inspected the ring for bent teeth, but all look good.
    I'm thinking it's either the BB (dirt, lack of grease) or one of the suspension pivots.
    I'd like to take the cranks off, but this is the first bike I've owned with this type of BB/crank setup.
    It looks like I use an 8mm Allen wrench on the non drive side and the self extracting bolt pulls the left arm off. Does the right arm with rings just pull out then?
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks all,
    Lenny

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Check your saddle. I had the same problem. My saddle was creaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you have a fox fork check the station tubes. I have had fox replace the crown and station tubes 3 times for clicking sound when peddaling under a hard effort. You can put the front wheel against a wall and push down on the pedal 90 degrees from the ground, if it clicks as it loads and unloads you probably have the same issue.

mtbr member
    I had the same thought about the saddle rails.
    But the bike still creaks when I'm standing.
    As for the fork, wouldn't it creak on both pedal strokes, not just the right one?
    I'm still thinking BB.
    Gonna have my mechanic pull it and see if there's enough grease there today.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fork will pop on one side of peddle stroke. Try the test I posted, if it pops its the fork and you don't have to pull the bottom bracket. Or have the shop check the fork first. I had mine at the shop 4 times and they replaced the bottom bracket, two pivot bearings greased everything but the pop was still there until I figured out it was the fork. It is a known issue just search for fox fork creaking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbcol View Post
    Fork will pop on one side of peddle stroke. Try the test I posted, if it pops its the fork and you don't have to pull the bottom bracket. Or have the shop check the fork first. I had mine at the shop 4 times and they replaced the bottom bracket, two pivot bearings greased everything but the pop was still there until I figured out it was the fork. It is a known issue just search for fox fork creaking.
    OK, thanks, I'll do the check at lunch time.
    Lenny

Pivotal figure
    The BB is a pressfit design so removal requires a special tool. I'd check all the chainring bolts as well as the suspension bolts before going with the BB. Have you tried a different set of pedals yet? Clicks and creaks are notoriously hard to track down and have a habit of coming from the weirdest places, even the rear der. or hanger...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Already checked chainring and suspension bolts.
    Been meaning to check the pedal too.
    I had another similar click on my hardtail a while back.
    I checked, cleaned and greased every culprit, even the BB.
    I don't know how I found it, but it turned out to be the oval thingie that the 2 cleat screws go through on my shoe.
    The thing had cracked and was clicking on each pedal stroke.
    Very weird.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Just checked the fork.
    No clicking as per your test.
    I then rode it around the parking lot.
    Guess what, it didn't make the clicking noise any more.
    My mechanic is gonna think I'm crazy.
    I hate noises that are intermittent.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had a really strange clicking noise that took forever to diagnose. Happened every pedal rotation . . . most of the time. Stood up and pedaled, still there. Pedaled uphill and downhill, still there. Pedaled under heavy load, still there. Pedaled under no-load (while coasting), still there. Turned out it was a shoe lace end hitting the frame. Tucked those guys into the shoe and problem solved. Eventually moved to clipless shoes with velcro cover for laces.

mtbr member
    Since it only happens with the small ring, you may want to check is again. Tooth doesn't need to be bent, as any small deformation to the tooth can cause the chain to make a noise, especially if it is a new chain. I just had something similar occur with my large ring. Just required a little filling of the tooth and the sound went away.