mtbr member

my new pivot phoenix (finally)

Pivot Phoenix

Got a bit of ride time in on it so far and also tried the ccdb (did not like it on there).
    Corners very well, pedals great and does feel a bit like the Sunday when. Landing or ripping around the latter part of the travel doesn't go void like the Sunday did. I liked the Sunday so I was basing the feel off it even though others say it is totally different I didn't feel it. What I did feel was refinements to the Sunday. It has the same feel ripping in corners and out light on the back.
    It handles chop and square edge hits a but different then the sunday did by not going regressive on the deeper stuff which is nice.

It doesn't blow through the nasty stuff like a jedis rearward arch but it definently doesn't hang up on stuff either there doesn't seem to be a forward kick when it hits sharp stuff.
    It is very lively and was easy to get used to right away, it whips around easily.

The ccdb had a really bad packing up feeling on the bike, I adjusted stuff back out and gave it a shot but just not for me on this bike the rc4 is a way better fit for this frame.

Not a huge fan of all the stickers but till I decide a direction for it they will stay.

On a side note, the 2012 xt brakes are working great very impressive so far. Seem to have a solid bite. Good modulation and easy to control wheelies and manuals without snapping the front end down...levers are actually impressive feeling easy to single finger ride.

Going to swap a couple items
    I am looking to go Dura ace cassette, sixc cranks, stans flow ex rims on hope evo pro II and 721s on the i9s and formula RO brakes, x0 der and shifter, Thomson bars and Hans dampf dh gravity line coming out.

2012 phoenix large
    2012 fox 40 with avalanche cartridge
    2012 fox rc4 with avalanche internals
    Industry 9s with pimplite rims
    E13 cranks
    Mr g2 guide
    Crampon pedals
    Havoc bars
    Thomson integrated stem
    Thomson post
    I-fly ti saddle
    2012 XT brakes
    Schwalbe 2.35 muddy Mary dh
    X9 shift/der
    Kmc xsl ti chain
    Heavier sram cassette (xtr on the way)
    Angle set
    Ti spring #450

Just built up my rear wheel I'll build the front Tuesday... (waiting on other hoop rrrrrrr!)

Aced the hope hubs for Hadleys laced to the flow ex with db spokes

A little ride time and the 2012 Fox talas 180 on it.

Got a bit of ride time on bigger rocks and drops...
    Did a east county ride with plenty of fast twisty loose over hard and rocks/gardens...
    Suspension was set up like total poo (yes that's the technical term) the 180 and rc4 had way to much rebound and high speed it was like a hard tail in the rocks...(i messed with it for other reasons the other night and forgot to set it back lol) so got unlazy and dialed it back the bike opened up, it is more responsive than the Sunday to rider input as well as doesn't blow through the last bit of travel.
    Thought it had a bad hang up on rocks initially on square edge then adjusted the shock and realized it was settings.

Drops are great didn't bottom on landings was super easy to manipulate in the air and whip around.it dirt jumps extremely well, corners solid I blew out a berm on a super steep section came in to hot and dove it hard back swung around and I went over...again thankfully for helmets....lol

Last edited by bullcrew; 10-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    My guess is 38# is a small frame build. With nevgal tires. Those Muddy Mary tires are heavy.
    Nice looking rig. Congrats.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Chillin the Most
    My best bud (Evil) has a Large Phoenix that weighs 35lbs, of course his is frame is "*special" (he works for Pivot).

My other buds Medium weighs around 36-37lbs, nothing special about it.

*Special - one of the first prototype frames made in the US of A, so its a wee bit lighter.

mtbr member
    So let's powow and find where my heft is...I'm good at weight savings but I'd like to cut 3 lbs effectively.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Did the avalanche internals add weight?

mtbr member

My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    looks pretty sweet with the 180. hows it ride?

how much weight did it lose?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE View Post
    looks pretty sweet with the 180. hows it ride?

how much weight did it lose?
    The 180 fits the bike like a glove....LOVE the way it feels. Taking it out to the jumps/drops and trails tomorrow to get it dialed...
    Not dh stuff more doubles step downs ups and gaps bit will be a blast the front end feels DIALED. Feels better than the 40 does it has a more alive and fast feel....

It dropped 1.75 lbs so the bike is at 38.6 now the stand flow ex will be laced up to the hadleys this week which will drop another (300g) then the dura ace cassette is another 120g lighter. I have six cranks coming (-200g) in and the new hans dampf gravity tires waiting to be released (sub 1000g tire for dh) which will shave almost 800g off.
    It should sit realistically 35.6lbs DH ready. I could do a boxxer wc which would add .4 lb and it would sit right at 36.
    My Sponsor House

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Nice Bullcrew! I've been meaning to try a single crown on mine as well. I'm weighing in at sub 36 with DH casings and 33'ish with heavy freeride tires for jump-line shredding.

Pics and scribbles and such -
    Pivot Cycles Phoenix Review 2012 Downhill Bike - Sick Lines – mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post

Looks like a good setup for smoother jump lines! What do you have the head angle set to with the 180 fork? So you feel the phoenix with the 180 has alot more pop to it compared to the dual crowns?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Nice Bullcrew! I've been meaning to try a single crown on mine as well. I'm weighing in at sub 36 with DH casings and 33'ish with heavy freeride tires for jump-line shredding.

Pics and scribbles and such -
    Pivot Cycles Phoenix Review 2012 Downhill Bike - Sick Lines mountain bike reviews, news, videos | Your comprehensive downhill and freeride mountain bike resource

Lol YOU......I talked to go ride for a quick input for either my m9or pivot and ended up building the pivot because they were sold on its reliability .
    As well as kept telling me how sold you were on it...didn't know who you was...lol

Xt brakes are getting swapped for the ones or RO as well....

Head angle should be close to 63 degrees its axle2crlwn is only 6mm less than a fox 40 and there's a angle set -1 on it.

Yes its quicker feeling and a lot more nimble feeling for sure....
    My Sponsor House

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
    Lol YOU......I talked to go ride for a quick input for either my m9or pivot and ended up building the pivot because they were sold on its reliability .
    As well as kept telling me how sold you were on it...didn't know who you was...lol

Xt brakes are getting swapped for the ones or RO as well....

Head angle should be close to 63 degrees its axle2crlwn is only 6mm less than a fox 40 and there's a angle set -1 on it.

Yes its quicker feeling and a lot more nimble feeling for sure....
    Heh, yep, live right around the corner from Go-Ride...

I've been quite happy with the RO's and two other riding buds have them as well and have been stoked. The power is massive and they ramp up just right. I still find the Shimano lever to be superior but otherwise the RO's are bang on. Hoping to give the new Saints a shot soon to see how they stack up.

I might have to try a single crown on mine here shortly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Bad @ss bike! Love the raw finish!!

mtbr member
    Nice!!!

Anyone have further word on the diet that the Phoenix is supposed to go on? Read about it somewhere.

Lightly salted
    Nice!!!

Anyone have further word on the diet that the Phoenix is supposed to go on? Read about it somewhere.
    Are you talking about complete build weight or frame weight being reduced? Do you have a link to where you read this? 2013 frames maybe?

mtbr member
    I actually just saw that someone mentioned it in the DW tweet thread. Be cool if it was actually the frame.

mtbr member
    I heard somewhere from someone that the frame is supposed to shed a little weight.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    I assume you could drop a pound by going to an air shock. Any Info from Err about weight difference?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    This is the first I've heard of it. Nobody tells me nuthin.

I'm sure there are a few spots to shave some grams, the frame is set to survive the apocalypse as it is. Carbon would be so rad and Pivot seems to be doing carbon well these days, one can only hope.

mtbr member
    Finally got some ride time added to first post.
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    Probably a silly question for a bike specifically built to go south, but....
    Any chance you've pedaled this beaut uphill?

mtbr member
    Probably a silly question for a bike specifically built to go south, but....
    Any chance you've pedaled this beaut uphill?
    I have rode e-ticket which is xc with a lot of uphill and noble canyon both of which it did very well...is it as good as a canfield one going up "No" is it better than a lot of designated dh sleds "yes"
    My Sponsor House

mtbr member
    When the new Fox 40 comes out next year, isn't it about a pound lighter? I was chatting with the Fox people at Crankworx and they were really stoked on it.

Will you be night riding on the Phoenix too? I'm still running my homebrewed 7-up and Quazzle but I think I may build another quazzle for the ultimate in lightness (and light).
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    BTW, I'm running the normal FLOW rims on my bike and they held up to multiple trips at Whistler this summer with zero truing. Nada. Zip. True as new. I assume the EX is thicker/heavier/burlier. You could probably have gone with regular FLOW rims and saved weight and given up nothing, but that's just my opinion, I don't know how you ride.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    BTW, I'm running the normal FLOW rims on my bike and they held up to multiple trips at Whistler this summer with zero truing. Nada. Zip. True as new. I assume the EX is thicker/heavier/burlier. You could probably have gone with regular FLOW rims and saved weight and given up nothing, but that's just my opinion, I don't know how you ride.
    Lots of rocks, drops and jumps...sometimes drops to rocks lol....

This is about as flowy a drop we have, come up short its all roots and ruts, itwas a ravine we built off...

Take off is at bike landing is at the helmet below. We have a few others north shore style and several north county that are rocky landings and vert walls or gap drops.

My Sponsor House