Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness

Sorry, too a while from build to post, but now, well, it's finally (almost) finished. Just one more small addition to go (see Chainguide & derailleurs below). My first foray into the world of Carbon bikes and I've gotta say that I love the way this bike rides. I wouldn't change any of the parts, except for the the FD due to an design issue from Shimano, and the RD when SRAM bring out their Type 2 in a few months.

Now I just need this rain to piss off. The 2 rides I've had have made me really want to ride her all the time!

So, the spec list is here:

Frame - 2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon, Medium.
    Rear shock - Fox Float RP23, Kashima
    Front fork - 2012 RockShox Revelation WC, 150mm. Tapered Steerer, Carbon Crown/Steerer
    Handlebars - X-Lite Flat Carbon, 710mm
    Stem - Mowa Venus, 80mm
    Headset - Cane Creek 110 Tapered
    Grips - Loaded Inc. AMX Grips
    Saddle - Fizik Gobi XM
    Seatpost - Rockshox Reverb 125mm Drop.
    Brakes - Avid XX
    Rotors - Hope Floating, 185mm Front, 160mm Rear
    Cranks - XTR Trail M-980, 26-38t
    Front derailleur - Shimano FD-986-D (soon to be Sram X0 due to issue with 986-D)
    Chain - KMC Gold SL 10 Speed.
    Chainguide - None yet Soon to be Bionicon C.Guide V2
    Chainstay Protection - Csixx Protector
    Cassette - Shimano XT 10 speed, 11-34
    Pedals - Shimano XTR PD-M980
    Rear derailleur - SRAM X-9 (waiting on Type 2 to be released).
    Shifters - SRAM XX
    Hubs - DT Swiss 240
    Rims - Stans Crest
    Spokes - DT Swiss Comp
    Tyres - Advantage 2.35 Fr, Larsen TT 2.35 R, Tubeless using Stans

Total weight - 11.80kg! (26lbs)

Lots of photos for you here. Only the main ones at full size, but plenty of thumbs for the build geeks to look through

Enjoy!

Last edited by Isildur; 04-19-2012 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Crest wide enough for the tires and aggressive trail riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    So far I haven't noticed any issues The rims probably won't take anything larger than what I've got on there too well, but that's OK as there's not really too many trails around here that justify anything bigger than 2.35

The first ride was at an area with plenty of techy granite sections amongst the flowing single track, and the rims cornered & tracked beautifully

The 2nd ride was at my local semi-FR area, and while it was a bit too light for the really rough lines (usually ride the Phoenix there), it handled the 3 - 5 ft drops & jumps amazingly. It's absolutely beautiful in the air this thing The rims held up without a problem.

All of that said, the rims were built by someone who I highly regard as a wheel builder - my last set of 819s on Hopes (that he built) lasted for 3 years without needing anything more than a light touch after years of heavy riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Really like the build! What was the decision behind the RockShox fork over a Fox 32 Float 150 FIT RLC?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've always preferred RS forks over Fox for 2 main reasons - The RS forks are generally easier to service that Fox's open bath systems, and that with the Dual Air system, the RS forks are far more customisable than the Fox.

Granted, the Fox FIT system makes the servicing easier (cleaner) than the old system, but they're still on a single air chamber

These forks feel absolutely beautiful already, and still have a bit of breaking in to do!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice one mate, looks similar to the build I'm doing as soon as the frame arrives. Just wondering why you went with the chainstay protector if the frame already has one though? Didn't it look up to the task?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, I know that the frame has chainstay (and seatstay) protection, and although it looks very nice (with the faux-leather thing going on), I wanted a little more security with my protection The Csixx stuff is *Thick*, and won't be wearing down any time soon! Plus, it's nice and easy to replace if (ever) necessary, whereas with the integrated one, once it's worn down, it looks like an interesting job to re-glue another one back on!

Added to that, the Csixx looks bloody nice, and has green highlights to match! I've got a couple on my (recently) rebuilt Phoenix DH (http://forums.mtbr.com/pivot-cycles/...st9224301.html) and they're bloody bomb-proof!

I think also the fact that the faux-leather looks so good, I wanted to keep it looking that good pretty much forever

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hmmm, looked into it but can't get them anywhere in the UK :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have you tried contacting Csixx directly? Surely they'll be able to help out if you've got no local Distro?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just send them an email ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    I've always preferred RS forks over Fox for 2 main reasons - The RS forks are generally easier to service that Fox's open bath systems, and that with the Dual Air system, the RS forks are far more customisable than the Fox.

Granted, the Fox FIT system makes the servicing easier (cleaner) than the old system, but they're still on a single air chamber

These forks feel absolutely beautiful already, and still have a bit of breaking in to do!
    You def. made the right choice on the fork. RS is plusher than the fox & it will also get full travel, plus its lighter.The Fox won't get full travel, a 150 Float is actually code for 140 Float, this has been going on for years with Fox now

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That chainstay protector does look really nice. I like the way the highlights match the frame. I'd do the same.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Update time

Finally got everything together, and put all of these on today Change my 5.7C to 1x10, with the help of a E-Thirteen 35t Ring, Csixx HD Mount XC Guide, Bionicon C-Guide v2, KMC XSL 10Sp Chain (Ltd Ed Black & Gold), SRAM Type 2 and a 36t XT Cassette

Didn't end up putting the new pedals on - will save those for the Gravity days along with the stubby stem & riser bar combo I have for that.

The test will be tomorrow once I get a chance to ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-img_5913.jpg  

My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-img_5957.jpg  

My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-img_5968.jpg  

My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-img_5946.jpg  

mtbr member
    You needed a bolster to get the old parts off?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sometimes things need just a little persuasion!

Nah, took the photo before the bikes were out if the shed, and the masonry tools were on the table, on their way to the shed.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice job Isildur. You gotta love the 5.7 carbon. love some of the details eg the green stem. I keep second guessing myself about 29ers and 650b and all I have to do is go out and ride an aggressive trail to be reassured I got the best bike. I'm going to do like you and get a faster rear tire and see if it help on the flows single track trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Btw what's the big hammer for?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers! I've actually changed the stem to a Syntace Megaforce2, as I eventually figured that 60mm was better for my build than 80mm.

And with all this wheel size crap going on, I don't have any worry at all, as every time I'm on my bike (be it the commuter, my Phoenix or my 5.7C), I just end up grinning ear to ear!

The hammer is for whacking the BB & Headset in

Nah, the masonry tools come in handy both in our yard, and on the trail building days. We have pretty much all Sandstone around here, so when maintaining trails or building new lines, the masonry tools allow for spot on rock armouring. In the yard, we were left with a whole bunch of Sandstone blocks, and so they've become landscaping pieces

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks great. Love that carbon top guide. Does your rear derailuer have the new clutch built in? Mine does which means I dont need that tensioner you put on. Whatever works, either way it looks dope.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers! Yeah, I hear that the Type2 does it all, per say, but I reckon I'll run the lower guide just in case. As long as I don't notice any extra friction it'll stay on! Will probably try to move it forward and get it closer to the chainring too at some stage

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Mowa Venus Stem

Can you provide any feedback on the Mowa stem you used on your build.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Mowa was a really nice stem while I had it on there. The reason I bought it was that it was the only stem I could find in 80mm and Green at the time. It was light, stiff & looked very nice with the rest of the bike. That said, I'm only 72kg or so, so I've never really felt flex in any stem I've owned.

I've since gone with a shorter stem (Syntace Megaforce2 60mm), but I had no problems at all when I was riding the Mowa.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sweet ride. what size chainstay protector fits the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers

The protector on the chainstay is a cSixx one - they only make one size so it's an easy buy. Their protectors are really quite long, and I have had to trim down the length to fit both my 5.7C and my Phoenix.

Unfortunately I couldn't use a cSixx on the seatstay due to the width and angles involved, so I used half of an older Lizard Skin one. The neoprene stretching is an important part of the coverage there. I think, from memory, that it was an XL, as it came off my DH bike when I installed CSixx protectors on that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Minor Update

So, the Loaded grips were suffering after a couple of good stacks, so I've gone with something new

They're called Grip Rings, and come in a range of colours. Thanks again to Pushie Enterprises for the gear!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-20121115_134435.jpg  

My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-20121115_134517.jpg  

My Mach 5.7 of Carbonium Goodness-20121115_134517-0-.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast